Sony Pictures picks up Captain Planet and the Planeteers live-action film

Hope this flops, because:
~Snip~
8. This film will probably suck.....:disappoin

Geez, man! At least give the movie a chance before you make a jump decision like that. They haven't even gone into production yet and all ready you're expecting the worst. It's only been greenlit, things could happen between now and production. The project might even get dropped before they get started, for all we know. But at least wait til we have a trailer or some leaked production photos to make a judgement. :sly:

That being said, I think you have a point. I think a Captain Planet movie should not be black and white about it's environmental message, but rather try to be a little deeper then that. I think it should keep it open to debate. The movie should leave on the message that environmental awareness on any level is better than doing nothing; that there is no right or wrong answer, but wanting to help make the planet a cleaner and better place is still an admirable endeavor.

The old cartoon was okay in its day, but since it's day, people have invented all kinds of new ways to be green without abandoning technology or progress. Plus, Captain Planet must have had SOME charm to it considering the show lasted for over 100 episodes. I don't think it should be too hard to reinvent Captain Planet for a modern audience. :)

Not the least bit surprised. It was only a matter of time. Then Voltron, Swat Cats..erithing.

Voltron, I could take it or leave it. But Swat Kats? Oh yes! Give me some of that! :buttrock: That cartoon was canceled before its time. It was AWESOME!

Mind if I'm not mistaken but Captain Planet and the Planeteers tackles on AIDS and gang wars, aside from environmental issues. If only they'd tackle on immigration law, same-sex marriage, nuclear warfare and SOPA-like bills, then the movie version would have been plausible.

I know of that when I watched the Nostalgia Critic on Captain Planet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPF9zOaqUA"]Nostalgia Critic - Captain Planet - YouTube[/ame]

And having them modernized would be like an Ultimate Marvel-ization, kinda like what occurred with the Hulk film and Iron Man.

Geez, man! At least give the movie a chance before you make a jump decision like that. They haven't even gone into production yet and all ready you're expecting the worst. It's only been greenlit, things could happen between now and production. The project might even get dropped before they get started, for all we know. But at least wait til we have a trailer or some leaked production photos to make a judgement. :sly:

Sure I'll need to see more, but I got some doubts really unless its utilized differently. Hopefully it either becomes a parody of the show like Green Hornet [Which I saw before the film] or it becomes something meaningful, if not both.

That being said, I think you have a point. I think a Captain Planet movie should not be black and white about it's environmental message, but rather try to be a little deeper then that. I think it should keep it open to debate. The movie should leave on the message that environmental awareness on any level is better than doing nothing; that there is no right or wrong answer, but wanting to help make the planet a cleaner and better place is still an admirable endeavor.

Exactly.

The old cartoon was okay in its day, but since it's day, people have invented all kinds of new ways to be green without abandoning technology or progress. Plus, Captain Planet must have had SOME charm to it considering the show lasted for over 100 episodes. I don't think it should be too hard to reinvent Captain Planet for a modern audience. :)

Also agreed. If I were to rewrite the series to make it modern and similar, I'd make:

Wheeler needs to be the social networker of the group and like the PR, son of an oil exec. Ultra Liberal and contrary to his father, he only sees one way and is entitled/ignorant, but he's the viewer's POV and grows as the film goes on. The second youngest member in high school other than Ma-Ti.

Kwame is the leader, the brains, and the one closest to the conflicts. His father got murdered in the diamond mines as a child while his mother moved to South Africa barely after the segregation. Was a street child until the person connected to Nelson Mandela sees the youth and takes him to Nelson under mentorship. He sees both sides of the issue and is a conservative, clashing horns with Wheeler at first. However, he has a vengeful side and isn't sure what to think of Wheeler.

Ma-Ti is the brain, raised with a silver spoon in his mouth in Mumbai before family misfortunes lead their family to live in Dharavi and finally, in a rural village. In his depression and being unpopular, he went to talking to animals and wanted to prove himself to his peers, which he risks his life for in a forest fire. He is the intermediary between those two in the group. He can hack living creatures' minds and make them comply, think like Aquaman but far more badass. Ma-Ti is a social engineer and a bit of a con, though has a kid crush on Linka and Gi.

Gi leaves in the mainland of China, from a rural village by those pink dolphins. Becoming a marine biologist, she wanted to discover more about the world, and so she is also a hacker by extension. Wheeler and her have a falling out before becoming friends.

Linka is a bit shier , and was born in the Ukraine shortly before the fall of the Soviet Union. Gets along with Gi the most and are like sisters, but finds Wheeler's whiny attitude and privilege annoying, coming from a poor family. They fall in love eventually whatever. Wants to become a photographer, and has a strained father who was in the KGB and became a rich corrupt gang leader, so she's born in the mob.

Voltron, I could take it or leave it. But Swat Kats? Oh yes! Give me some of that! :buttrock: That cartoon was canceled before its time. It was AWESOME!
A high budget animated remake with better production values, I'll take that, Gargoyles [live action of course] , and Voltron....

I am much of a Voltron fan as I am a Power Rangers fan, owning the redux Voltron from Trendmasters as a kid and I followed it every day on Toonami. If they got the same design team from Gatchaman behind Voltron and kept the robot looking real cool [Got my own concept that's a mix of the original, my own take on a Bay-like design, and taking my favorite aspects of a few others into my own taste thats accurate and reverent] , as long as its not on Earth, it would work.

heart.png

*shakes head*