Sonic Origins Is The Ultimate Shrine To The Hog’s Glory Years

Staff member
Sega announced plans today to re-release the 16-bit Sonic games. This by itself is nothing new — with the exception of Sonic 3, the games have never really been off the market, reappearing on just about every device capable of playing a game from practically the moment that device exists. Heck, there was a Sonic compilation on the Game.com.
THIS time, if they want us to pay attention, they’re gonna have to make it special. Thus we have Sonic Origins: not a mere ROM dump but a fully rejiggered, thoroughly polished remix of Sonic’s genesis (pun intended). Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles and CD are all present with various options like widescreen support, animated cutscenes, and the new “Anniversary Mode” where you can play short bursts of levels with specific goals, like “squash 5 Caterkillers before reaching the exit.”
For the first time in a while, Sonic 3 will be part of the mix — it’s been withheld from other compilations recently, due to mysterious rights issues that most attribute to...

Continue reading...

I'm delighted these games are getting widescreen, rather than just stretched out, because those are the worst types of widescreen. Also, the idea that Sonic 3 and Knuckles are finally being re-released after all this time and getting the same treatment as the other games is impressive and cool to see.

Hardcore CLAMP fan
This is coolness achieved by the widescreen and animations alone! Since the Nintendo DS, we haven't had a good selection of these games.
I'm excited to see how the game plays once I get to play it. How faithful will it be to the originals that I know and love?

It is time for the zoomers to see the greatness of these games! They should realize 2d pixel games of my time are cooler than those Fortnite things they play.

Sonic is having an incredible year!
I'm hoping the franchise can reclaim its former luster!
We had a box office hit first, and now we've got this collection of vintage games.

Bob

Bob
The animation is a fantastic example of how to create a current tribute to 90s spirit. Sonic's original games, soundtrack, and art/animations are all highly regarded; this is essentially a dream come true!

Wow this looks great. I never played a Sonic Game but I loved the movies and now I am very open minded to play the games.

Not sure if I want this because I already have a collection of the originals. These remasters just gave it a new coat of paint. Sorry guys but this is not for me.

Why did you comment here any way if you don't like these remasters? To waste our time?