Would like to change his avatar
I wouldn't quite say the most ardent of Shinkenger's fans are quite so harsh on it - but Toei actually said that? Seriously? Not Jetman or something?

http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/sp21/shinken.html

I mean, I know it's hyperbolic sales pitch, but it's the kind of thing that, if repeated enough, people will start to believe. And, c'mon, Shinkenger might have been liked when it aired, but I think some of its success is overstated.

It just seems to me like a lot of spin on Toei's part. I don't feel like Shinkenger made any sort of impact the way something like Jetman did. (Even if a lot of Jetman's initial praise was due mainly to Keita Amemiya's involvement.) Now, if they had just said "one of the most popular" or "a new classic"? That would be...less irksome.

Mad Skillz
I think they're just trying to jump on this while Matsuzaka's career is still hot.

You can get away with try different things depending on your timeslot. When Sentai started it was part of the warm-up before primetime shows aired. It wasn't until part-way through Megaranger that it was sent to the Sunday morning kids TV ghetto after a number of years of "we might be making the very last season" uncertainty.
I'm sure Bandai Japan has an army of people running focus groups.

Exactly the focus group should ask kids what they really want.

It'll be an Ohranger at best. That season that really should've worked but totally didn't.

Ditto to that.

This is one of the most common complains i hear about Go-Busters and it is one that i have to argue against because it is far too subjective.

Now, i have seen a lot of Toku, both modern and classic, and even with that background i did not found to be Go-Busters to be boring. In fact, i was so throughly entertained by it that i actually looked forward to it more than i did for Fourze.

I think that Go-Busters itself is not boring, but it does have a very particular style that won´t appeal everyone. If you dig it, then the show is really immersive and compelling, but if you don´t, then it is boring. So i really don´t think that it is objective to say that Go-Busters is boring since, depending on one´s mindset, it can be anything but.

As much as i love the show, i doubt this will ever happen.

The Go-Busters situation is very much like Hibiki´s; you had a show that dared to be unique, but it got retooled once it failed to reach it´s audience and we ended up with a show that while it has good elements on it, it does not feel complete.

If i were to rank my favorite Sentai series, i wouldn´t know where to put Go-Buster because while i do love the first half, after the retool the show loses a lot of the things that made it compelling, so i cannot say that i got the "full" Go-Busters experience.

So my guess is that a few years from now people will not see Go-Busters as an uncomprehended master piece, but as a controversial show that some people will love, some will hate and most won´t care.

Just like Hibiki.

Hmmmm you have a point there. :disappoin

Nice post!!
Okay that's two of the disadvantages but do you appreciate the advantages i wrote from go-busters.

I sat through the whole show and its spinoffs/films. It wasn't all bad, although I think it was compromised to such a degree that it doesn't really have "advantages." There's just the stuff that went horribly wrong, and the stuff that kind of worked or had potential.

Jin's death doesn't mean much when he was just a copy, essentially a robot.

I think killing Jin off in the very last episode, in practically the next-to-last scene, was also a huge mistake. It meant that the protagonists had no time to really react to it before, whoops, the show's over, everybody go home. Every time a character death in Sentai has really mattered to me, it was not so much because of the death scene itself, but because of the way other characters reacted to it. Go-Busters's final scene all but sweeps Jin's death under the rug, by showing everybody pretty much over it and looking forward to the rest of their lives.

The point i was getting at is that Go-Busters was so unique that it could have easily been it´s own show, independent from the Super Sentai Franchise.

I absolutely don't think so. Go-Busters was not a unique series at all. The spy motif was trading on Gorenger, and the military overtones and emphasis on sci-fi was trading on Hirohisa Soda's work in Sentai from the 80s. If you take all the Sentai tropes out of Go-Busters, there would be basically nothing left to work with. Hell, even if you just took out the stuff that directly parallels Fiveman, there'd be almost nothing left.

I like the Rescue Force comparison because i really loved that show; it took the basic idea of Sentai and it took it into an unique direction becoming its own thing in the process.

I always felt like the Rescue stuff was someone at that production company really wanting to do something like the Metal Hero Rescue Trilogy shows. Which is fine, I mean, it's not like Toei would make anything like that now. I do think the Tomica stuff lacked writing or stunt chops on par with the original Rescue Trilogy stuff I've seen, though.

Actually, judging by how people tend to praise the first dozen episodes, the only dedicated staff member was probably sub-producer Gou Wakamatsu, and he got the boot for reasons unrelated to the show.

Did we ever learn exactly why that happened? I know there was the Twitter controversy, but I've never really found any proof of that having occurred (and it sounds fairly unlikely, IMO). I've always wondered if Wakamatsu had an inkling of what was coming down the pike for Go-Busters in its second quarter, and basically just decided to get the hell out of Dodge.

(The same way they later tried to blame Ohranger's suckiness on real life tragedies when, being a Sugimura show, that show was doomed to having a schizoid tone from the start. Look at those dumb villains -- how "serious" was the show going to be? Those terrible designs were done well before those events occurred.)

Man, we could speculate all day about what what the hell happened to Ohranger. Early on, the show is at least very consistent about certain things. The villains are depicted as absurd, but also so powerful that they can cause atrocity off-handedly. The show really pushes the idea of Baranoia's actions having horrific consequences early on, and then by the show's midpoint Baranoia is deploying a an evil plumber in a raincoat.

Most Sentai seasons break down a little bit in the middle, just due to production pressures. I've still never seen a show go from so high to so low in the course of the season than Ohranger. While Go-Busters does not degenerate to the same degree, the type of degeneration is quite similar. It just really smacks of what happens to a show when Toei & Bandai decide not to have faith in the original pitch, and not to follow through.

I sat through the whole show and its spinoffs/films. It wasn't all bad, although I think it was compromised to such a degree that it doesn't really have "advantages." There's just the stuff that went horribly wrong, and the stuff that kind of worked or had potential.

Okay so maybe it has some advantages and a lot of disadvantages.

I think killing Jin off in the very last episode, in practically the next-to-last scene, was also a huge mistake. It meant that the protagonists had no time to really react to it before, whoops, the show's over, everybody go home. Every time a character death in Sentai has really mattered to me, it was not so much because of the death scene itself, but because of the way other characters reacted to it. Go-Busters's final scene all but sweeps Jin's death under the rug, by showing everybody pretty much over it and looking forward to the rest of their lives.

You maybe right Jin's death scene should been in the one or two penultimate episodes before the finale.

I always felt like the Rescue stuff was someone at that production company really wanting to do something like the Metal Hero Rescue Trilogy shows. Which is fine, I mean, it's not like Toei would make anything like that now. I do think the Tomica stuff lacked writing or stunt chops on par with the original Rescue Trilogy stuff I've seen, though.

Hmm maybe Go-buster should have been its own show or maybe a tomico hero franchise revival rather than being a super sentai series i mean that's my opinion.

Man, we could speculate all day about what what the hell happened to Ohranger. Early on, the show is at least very consistent about certain things. The villains are depicted as absurd, but also so powerful that they can cause atrocity off-handedly. The show really pushes the idea of Baranoia's actions having horrific consequences early on, and then by the show's midpoint Baranoia is deploying a an evil plumber in a raincoat.

Yeah the production team were trying to make the monster of the week serious like the kamen rider monsters instead they are still sillier.

Most Sentai seasons break down a little bit in the middle, just due to production pressures. I've still never seen a show go from so high to so low in the course of the season than Ohranger. While Go-Busters does not degenerate to the same degree, the type of degeneration is quite similar. It just really smacks of what happens to a show when Toei & Bandai decide not to have faith in the original pitch, and not to follow through.

Yeah tell me about it the production team of Ohranger and go-busters try to make their show good but didn't fulfill their expectations,Maybe he production company should have make the shows alone rather than getting help from a toy company but what will they do the toy company are responsible for the show's 'merchandise' and are considered its life support to the production.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
I absolutely don't think so. Go-Busters was not a unique series at all. The spy motif was trading on Gorenger, and the military overtones and emphasis on sci-fi was trading on Hirohisa Soda's work in Sentai from the 80s. If you take all the Sentai tropes out of Go-Busters, there would be basically nothing left to work with. Hell, even if you just took out the stuff that directly parallels Fiveman, there'd be almost nothing left.

It is true that´s Go-Busters was not re-inventing the wheel so to speak, but to be fair i am looking a the show from a post-2000 Sentai perspective.

I have watched very little 80´s Sentai, only Maskman and SunVulcan, so i don´t have a broad point of reference beyond the use of military themes. Maybe that is why when i look at Go-Busters from the perspective of a 2000´s Sentai show and some of the 90´s, it does stand out as a rather unique show.

Go-Busters is certainly a Super Sentai, but i do believe that with some adjustments, like increasing the "Special Ops" motive and downplaying the giant battles (like maybe letting the Go-Busters prevent the transport of a Megazord every now and then), the show could have easily stand on its own without having to carry the Super Sentai Label. In that scenario Go-Busters would still have been a show carrying several Super Sentai tropes and some people might even call it a rip-off, but i don´t think it would have gotten the backlash that it got for "betraying" the Super Sentai brand.

Granted, i don´t know if the Japanese Fandom´s reaction was as severe as the rumors say, but had Go-Busters not carried the Super Sentai name i feel that people might have been more open to it. Though admitedly, that would have done little to help toysales.

It is true that´s Go-Busters was not re-inventing the wheel so to speak, but to be fair i am looking a the show from a post-2000 Sentai perspective.

I have watched very little 80´s Sentai, only Maskman and SunVulcan, so i don´t have a broad point of reference beyond the use of military themes. Maybe that is why when i look at Go-Busters from the perspective of a 2000´s Sentai show and some of the 90´s, it does stand out as a rather unique show.

Yeah it sure does.

Go-Busters is certainly a Super Sentai, but i do believe that with some adjustments, like increasing the "Special Ops" motive and downplaying the giant battles (like maybe letting the Go-Busters prevent the transport of a Megazord every now and then), the show could have easily stand on its own without having to carry the Super Sentai Label. In that scenario Go-Busters would still have been a show carrying several Super Sentai tropes and some people might even call it a rip-off, but i don´t think it would have gotten the backlash that it got for "betraying" the Super Sentai brand.
Yeah if it had some improvements and will be carry the super sentai label it will not only be its own show and starting its own franchise but also could have become a great series.