Shuriken Sentai Ninninger vs Kamen Rider Drive 1-Hour Special Episode

Lurker
I actually think this is even worse than the Toqger and Gaim special. Though, if you ask me to pick either one, I'd rather jump off a cliff.

I admit that it was handled better than Toqgers vs. Gaim, especially where they had the Ninningers, Drive, & Mach team-up together during the final battle instead of fighting separately. So it sounded like that they got an idea how to do it from the Vs. series. While it ties into SHTGP, it shows what caused the time change. That a Shocker scientist came up with an invention, however he was killed by the Double Riders. So Shocker had to use a Roimude to finish his work. Other than that it's good that they made a tradition out of a Rider/Sentai crossover.

Lurker
I agree that this crossover is better than last year's. As a movie tie in, it gives me hope that SHT:GP will be good. The whole time and dimension thing was handled well and the interaction between Shinosuke and Takaharu was great. I think SHT:GP should be fine

Lurker
I honestly don't see what was better than last year.... The Toqger and Gaim special was relatively simple and the Ninninger and Drive special was all over the place. However, I would argue that both were a massive fail like the Shinkenger and Decade special.

Though, they have one thing in common: they're related to garbage movies.

I honestly don't see what was better than last year.... The Toqger and Gaim special was relatively simple and the Ninninger and Drive special was all over the place. However, I would argue that both were a massive fail like the Shinkenger and Decade special.

Though, they have one thing in common: they're related to garbage movies.

The Shinkenger and Decade special wasn't connected to a movie at all.

When something's simple, it doesn't mean it's better. When we are talking about movies/shows, it's more of the opposite. If the story is just "hey, we just decided to come here and team up with you just for the lolz", then that's bad. Really bad.

What do you mean by "was all over the place"? It doesn't even make sense...

I guess you are most probably a Kamen Rider hater, otherwise it wouldn't really explain this much. You don't even know if SHT:GP is garbage or not. You have to wait at least one month, and even then you have to see it for yourself. And even then you can't say something is garbage just because that's what you see it as. If most people say it is, then it will be. But we need to wait before we can say opinions about it.

I honestly don't see what was better than last year....

It explored the difference between Ninninger and Drive (or at least Sentai and Rider in general) much better than Gaim vs Toqger, the villains weren't treated like jokes, and the movie tie in part did a good job both expanding on the movie's scenario (by showing the person who created the history change machine and how it came about) and also even ties in to the original Rider show (by using a pre-existing character for that rather than making up a random one for backstory).

Now, it had problems, like the Ninningers' actors clearly having low availability, resulting in quite a few suit-only and Takaharu only scenes, and Drive's cast seemed more aggressive than usual, but it's nothing that compromises the episode, especially when someone like Mr.Belt is pretty shady in the first place, keeping secrets seemingly for no reason.

Really, I don't get what you want out of Rider if you hated even something fairly inoffensive like this.

Last edited:
Lurker
The reason I don't enjoy anything related to the Super Hero Taisen movies is because they keep using ideas that was already there during decade and the Den-O movies. Yes, I'm talking about using Shocker as the main antagonists. In fact, they're reusing terrible ideas from those series.

Lurker
It explored the difference between Ninninger and Drive (or at least Sentai and Rider in general) much better than Gaim vs Toqger, the villains weren't treated like jokes.

I dunno if watched the same special everyone else did <_< I only found that everyone were a bunch of gits in the special. The Ninningers were decent, I was just pissed off on the Drive stuff. Also, being another bad shocker story is an automatic fail for me.

I also like how people assume that me hating on the Toqger/Gaim and Ninninger/Drive specials automatically means that I hate Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. At least get it right: I HATE EVERYTHING SUPER HERO TAISEN RELATED!

Like I said in my edit, Mr.Belt is pretty shady in the first place and keeps secrets for no reason. I don't think it's unbelievable that he'd dislike completely out of control elements with a lot of power appearing out of nowhere. He clearly wants to be in control, which is the only reasonable explanation for keeping most of the secrets he has up to now.

Regarding Shocker, I'd be right alongside you complaining about them being overused, but this (alongside Kamen Rider 4) is the first time I think they're getting how to use them. Rather than making it seem like they were completely destroyed and now return (only to be destroyed again 30 minutes later), both this episode and Kamen Rider 4 seem to be going with the idea that Shocker still exists in the background, in spite of the heroes' efforts, kind of like the role that Foundation X seemed to have but never went anywhere.

Last edited: