Shuriken Sentai Ninninger Episode 9 - Ninjutsu vs. Magic: The Grand Battle

2hmgb46.png

Where they realize that Yakumo's mother had the End Shuriken all along and decide to take it back.

===========================================

The entire concept of magic vs. ninjutsu is silly, but there have been sillier concepts in Sentai. I thought it was handled pretty well, though.

Otherwise, a great episode. Yakumo and Kasumi's teamwork is nearly flawless now ("Mommy!" lol). I hope this goes on to the end of the series. I knew that Kasumi wouldn't be defeated just like that and was glad it happened.

So they have Kakuranger and Hurricanger attacks now?

Couple of things to say about this.

1. Glad that Kakuranger and Hurricanger attacks are still used and not just special shurikens that are just used for one episode.
2. IDK about anyone else, but I too thought the magic v. ninjutsu was handled well. It could be worse for sure.
3. Kasumi is a beast. It's not even her focus episode and she still demonstrates her pro ninja skills.
4. Can't stand Starninger's english. I understand he's japanese and he has an accent and all, but if you're going to do a cowboy motif, at least make it understandable. I actually have to try to understand the english, and I still miss a word or two.
5. Dat random weird twist at the end.

Starninger: "I'm here for your life." WTF

Overall, I thought it was a solid episode.

BTW I'm new, but is the spoiler needed for this thread?

I think you're fine. Everyone who reads this thread is assumed to have actually seen the episode. Welcome to the forum!

And yeah, I agree with Starninger. Worse than Mach so far (I hate Engrish more than anything), but at least his mech is cool.

Kasumi is cool like that. She's perpetually useful (probably my vote for best ninja) without attracting too much attention to herself. I just like the character so much. Whomever decided to write her this way has my vote.

I'm not a fan of introducing the sixth ranger so early. It makes sense in a show like Kyoryuger when there's so many other rangers anyway, but we've barely had any time to get to know the main cast as it is, how does it make sense to throw another dynamic into it already? I also can't tell if Starninger is the most Poochy character we've had yet or if the whole thing was an intentional parody. When you have an electric guitar sword and use a burger to transform, I don't think you need to push the whole "this guy is weird and silly!" angle so hard, we get it. At the same time, they seem to want to portray him as a serious character, skulking in the shadows, not revealing himself and attempting to kill the granddad at the end... So which is it? It never made much sense and I never found it funny, just confusing.

Akira at least thought he was a serious guy, this just seems all over the place.

It's nice to see the Kakuranger and Hurricaneger shuriken being used again, but why does Star Ninger have one???

The password is 'the ninja who don't hide'...which they're using as they sneak about trying to hide?

Momo Ninger is once again the most competent one by a mile.

The magic was integrated fairly well, though the way Yakumo uses it they might as well have just had a 'Defend' shuriken. Or are they selling prop replicas of his little wand too?

There's something weird about seeing the roll call on an actual stage. It kinda takes me out of the show a bit.

Wow, Star Ninger needs to cut down on the caffeine. The guy can't stop bouncing around. I don't care about most of the Engrish (it's not like little Japanese kids have a clue what they're saying when Sentai or Rider uses English anyway) but his "yee-haw!" could use some work. It's more of a "yeh-hare" at the moment.

His mech needs to quit the espresso shots too. Then it combines and the camera work has to desperately try and hide the massive section jutting out the back. :laugh:

Does that preview really show Star Ninger taking a selfie of himself with the MotW? :shakefist

It's nice to see the Kakuranger and Hurricaneger shuriken being used again, but why does Star Ninger have one???
I don't think he has a hurricanger shuriken, nor do i think his sword actually said hurricanger.
Snippet from RangerWiki
Fuurai Nin Shuriken (風雷忍シュリケン Fūrai Nin Shuriken?, lit. "Wind and Lightning Nin Shuriken) - A dual-mode elemental Nin Shuriken that is capable of launching Ninjutsu attacks based on either wind or lightning by simply turning the Shuriken itself to the desired setting of choice, with the settings being marked with their respective kanji. This Shuriken comes with StarNinger's Star Sword-Gun and can be inserted into the weapon for attacks. There are two types of attacks for each element depending on the mode the Star Sword-Gun is used (Sword and Gun Modes). The sounds created by the Shuriken in this instance contains words of English and Japanese in them in line with the Western-Japanese combination theme of StarNinger.

Wind (風 Kaze?) - Uses the Shuriken Ninja Art: Wind Technique (手裏剣忍法・風の術 Shuriken Ninpō - Kaze no Jutsu?).
When the Star Sword-Gun announces "Wind Magic" (風マジック Kaze Majikku?) in Sword Mode, StarNinger performs a spinning move that creates hurricanes and slashes enemies with the Star Sword-Gun in the process.
In the same mode that the Star Sword-Gun announces "Hurricane Ja!" (ハリケーンじゃ Harikēn Ja?) in Sword Mode, StarNinger creates a hurricane that traps enemies in it to deal sustained damage, especially useful against Youkai.

Lightning (雷 Kaminari?) - Uses the Shuriken Ninja Art: Lightning Technique (手裏剣忍法・雷の術 Shuriken Ninpō - Kaminari no Jutsu?).
When the Star Sword-Gun announces "Lightning Magic" (雷マジック Kaminari Majikku?) in Sword Mode, StarNinger can stab and paralyze enemies with a powerful lightning beam using the Star Sword-Gun.
In Gun Mode where the Star Sword-Gun announces "Thunder Ja!" (サンダーじゃ Sandā Ja?), StarNinger can fire off power high-voltage electric beams to hit multiple enemies at once.

The password is 'the ninja who don't hide'...which they're using as they sneak about trying to hide?

Yeah, lol. It's kinda silly using their catchphrase (the one they announce after their roll call) as a password, but it's really such a minor thing.

Kasumi in dress.
Kasumi in dress smiling.
Best Niningger Episode. 10/10.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Kasumi is still the best damn character in this show. So badass and clever!

Kasumi is still the best damn character in this show. So badass and clever!

Unfortunately, that's not really saying much. The characters in this series so far don't really give any sort of impression or any sort of reason for me to care so far. A consequence of a sentai that's really fast paced is that they don't get the viewer to fully understand the character's personality and if that's the case, they're probably going to use forced attributes for the character's personality and development instead of having them reveal their personality on their own. The only character that I truly seen do so with Taka and Fuuka (even though Fuuka was really being shown being completely selfish). But still, the plot itself needs to slow down in order for us to absorb what's going on.