Shuriken Sentai Ninninger Episode 5 - Space Ninja UFOMaru

That's nice but that still brings it back to Yakumo. It's Yakumo who gets developped by those details, not Kasumi herself.

No, it develops them both. Kasumi so much more than Yakumo.

Really, nitpickers. In episode 3, we got "Isn't this a Nagi-focus episode, why no Nagi development?". An episode is never required to make itself entirely around one character.

Lurker
The sad thing is I've already seen fanworks for Takaharu/Kasumi, even though it would be incest :sweat:

Actually, cousin relationships are pretty much normal in Japan. They're not in places like America in which it's frowned upon.

Both the Actor & the Actress of Five Black & Five Yellow are real life cousins, are married, & had children together.

So, the episode about Kasumi was really more about Yakumo struggling with his decision not to pursue his dreams and worrying about Kasumi taking on too much at once. This wouldn't be an issue if it was a one off thing, but I'm noticing a pattern here. Having other characters play important roles in character episodes is fine, but really, there's been enough of those Yakumo and Taka at this point and I think the rest of the cast is really suffering because of it.

iEea2jl.gif

If you want me to nitpick then I'll say that the fact all the characters wear their headbands over their hair in a really awkward way bothers me in every scene they're in :laugh:

So, the episode about Kasumi was really more about Yakumo struggling with his decision not to pursue his dreams and worrying about Kasumi taking on too much at once. This wouldn't be an issue if it was a one off thing, but I'm noticing a pattern here. Having other characters play important roles in character episodes is fine, but really, there's been enough of those Yakumo and Taka at this point and I think the rest of the cast is really suffering because of it.

iEea2jl.gif

If you want me to nitpick then I'll say that the fact all the characters wear their headbands over their hair in a really awkward way bothers me in every scene they're in :laugh:

That image pretty much sums up the show perfectly.
It's KyoryuJERK all over again except its much worse IMO, and I really can't believe I'm saying that!
I really don't understand why heroes these days (particularly in sentai) behave like that.
Is this the type of heroes kids like and looks up these days? (Granted, I haven't seen EVERY Japanese children shows.)
I just don't get it.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Why do people feel the need to make constant baseless comparisons with Kyoryuger? If the show ends with Takaharu having three needless love interests and fighting the last battle by himself, I'll concede. At this point, no.

Actually, cousin relationships are pretty much normal in Japan. They're not in places like America in which it's frowned upon.

Both the Actor & the Actress of Five Black & Five Yellow are real life cousins, are married, & had children together.

It still seems unlikely in a show that's trying to promote the team as a family (and people who automatically assume that every Red and Pink Ranger must hook up really, really annoy me)

Would like to change his avatar

Where did you read that they're cousins?

(They're supposedly divorced now, FTR.)

That image pretty much sums up the show perfectly.
It's KyoryuJERK all over again except its much worse IMO, and I really can't believe I'm saying that!
I really don't understand why heroes these days (particularly in sentai) behave like that.
Is this the type of heroes kids like and looks up these days? (Granted, I haven't seen EVERY Japanese children shows.)
I just don't get it.

I don't really see the Kyoryuger comparison either. I know a lot of people had a problem with Daigo, but while he was undoubtedly the main character of that show, I don't think the other characters suffered for it. Kyoryuger had a lot of focus on its plot and each of the characters had a lot of episodes to expand and developed. Even the archtypes that I typically don't like (Ian and Souji) eventually become three diemensional enough for me to love them.

I can see why some people didn't like the "Mary-Sue" qualities of King, but I think most of the vocal haters of the show just focus on the fact he was the Red Ranger and so always the one to do the big finisher attacks and got the upgrades, etc, ignoring the fact we saw things like Ian grow into a leader, etc. Hell, some of the villains in that show had more development than a lot of main characters in other seaons get.

The problem I have with Ninninger is that unlike Kyoryuger, most of the characters haven't had the chance to do anything. They feel like little more than background characters, even in episodes that supposedly about them. Everything has been about Taka or Yakumo. Giving upgrade forms and new toys to everyone on the team is irrelevant if you could replace them all with cardboard stand ins.

I'm aware we're only 5 episodes in, but I can only judge what we've seen.

Well, by this point of Kyoryuger, some people would claim Amy was also "shafted" in terms of Focus episodes. So Ninninger is only on the lead in terms of "shafted" characters by one.

I think it's a really unfair comparison. I welcome this episode for the development of Yakumo because I'd rather they make him more likeable than put focus on Fuuka (who is already likeable enough) and Nagi (who, despite the lack of focus, isn't really a turn-off character).

And I really disagree about most of the characters not having the chance to do anything. Kasumi has shined in every episode except episode one, while Takaharu and Yakumo as usual have a lot of their moments. That's 3 out of 5.

Lurker
Most toku are pretty rough in their first ten episodes (or in Blade's case, first fifteen), especially Sentai, but I find it really jarring that Ninninger is already getting a 3rd mech upgrade already after one episode of getting their 2nd. Characters are still developing, so hopefully the writing and the actors can grow. But for now, I'll just watch up til the toku ten to see whether or not to drop it.