Shuriken Sentai Ninninger Episode 5 - Space Ninja UFOMaru

jsj7ra.png

Where Kasumi thinks about her dreams, and help comes from space. Literally.

Comments:

So, basically an episode in which Kasumi just does everything better than everyone else. Despite being late a lot. And she officially throws her name into the Last Ninja competition. Greedy girl :D.

Takaharu screws up again, but in fairness, everyone else did as well. And thank the ninja gods for ignoring Gabi (even if it was mostly inadvertently).

If I understood correctly their mechs are built from space technology? There's a Fourze vibe in this episode. Doesn't help that Takaharu keeps on screaming Moete Kitaaaa!.

My only complaint is that Takaharu has no business sitting on UFO-maru's throne.

Lurker
Kasumi already stood out in previous episodes, but this one made it clear that she is the brain of the team and she also wants to become the Last Ninja. It was also nice to see the whole team finish off the Youkai together

Yeah, how come the one sitting in UFOMaru throne is Takaharu and not Kasumi? Is that because sitting like a lord and being generally carefree while on it is still seen as unladylike in Japan?

Anyway, this makes me fall in love to Kasumi more and more. Best girl in Sentai!

Lurker
Yeah, how come the one sitting in UFOMaru throne is Takaharu and not Kasumi? Is that because sitting like a lord and being generally carefree while on it is still seen as unladylike in Japan?

Because Takaharu's a Red, that's why. :p

All Reds in sentai happen to be either leaders, main protagonists in a certain series (like Ninja Red, Mega Red, Time Red, & Geki Red), or both.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
So this was a Kasumi episode...told from the perspective of Yakumo... and Kasumi doesn't get to do anything cooler than transform into a mailbox and telegraphing the monster. Thanks Sentai... She's still the best charcter in the show though.

And Takaharu got to control the UFO configuration >< a configuration that felt a little cheap compared to Shurikenjin Paon. These sitting mecha swap already feel repetitive and uninteresting and we're just on the second one!

So this was a Kasumi episode...told from the perspective of Yakumo... and Kasumi doesn't get to do anything cooler than transform into a mailbox and telegraphing the monster. Thanks Sentai... She's still the best charcter in the show though.

That's exactly what I felt. In the end, what Kasumi has gone through is just seen in flashbacks. I'm really tired of this male-centrism but I'll agree that the effect given at the end was interesting. But why not center the episode around Fuuka who apparently has no depth and was just here to ask Yakumo what his dream was "A dream ? I don't have no such thing. But let me hear about your dream" "Yeah sure, anyway, that's where I wanted this conversation to head to in the first place. I wanted to play soccer, an element that was not talked about before and that add a third layer to my character who apparently had no interest in going to England and study magic in the first place".

If the episode had been about Fuuka, who could have thought about her dream, and in the end admired Kasumi for being really competitive, that would have been great. Or use Nagi since he barely got any screentime even though I heard he was the main protagonist of episode 3.

And Takaharu got to control the UFO configuration >< a configuration that felt a little cheap compared to Shurikenjin Paon. These sitting mecha swap already feel repetitive and uninteresting and we're just on the second one!

Yeah, why wasn't Kasumi sitting in the center *sigh*.
For the mecha, well it's this year thing, but in the end, we all know that since Goonger a new formation just means that the way they'll shoot whatever beam they have will change. I miss Gaoranger or Hurricaneger, when the new mechas meant something...

If it had been Fuuka, the complaint would've been "Of course, it has the girl who has to sympathize with the other girl".

Seriously, it's nitpicking. It's nice that it's Yakumo because this, together with episode 2 and a bit of dialogue in episode 4, brings up the idea that Yakumo and Kasumi have a closer bond as cousins. Even probably that Yakumo respects Kasumi the most as an older cousin. Note that only Yakumo calls Kasumi "Kasumi-nee", while both Nagi and Fuuka call her "Kasumi-chan". When Yakumo commented before that Kasumi was becoming as reckless as Takaharu, it takes on a new meaning.

I dunno, I liked this episode. I really liked that Kasumi's conflict of "university vs. ninjutsu" was blown way out of proportion by Yakumo, and I think a smart, goal-driven female Ranger (who doesn't inexplicably have the hots for Red *coughYayoicough*) could make for a great role model for girls who might be watching this show.

Yeah, Red shouldn't have been the one riding UFOmaru but I've accepted this is going to be yet another Red-centric Sentai. Don't be surprised if he gets his own form later on in the show.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
I really wish Kasumi was a character in a better show...

If it had been Fuuka, the complaint would've been "Of course, it has the girl who has to sympathize with the other girl".

Seriously, it's nitpicking. It's nice that it's Yakumo because this, together with episode 2 and a bit of dialogue in episode 4, brings up the idea that Yakumo and Kasumi have a closer bond as cousins. Even probably that Yakumo respects Kasumi the most as an older cousin. Note that only Yakumo calls Kasumi "Kasumi-nee", while both Nagi and Fuuka call her "Kasumi-chan". When Yakumo commented before that Kasumi was becoming as reckless as Takaharu, it takes on a new meaning.

That's nice but that still brings it back to Yakumo. It's Yakumo who gets developped by those details, not Kasumi herself.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
and I think a smart, goal-driven female Ranger (who doesn't inexplicably have the hots for Red *coughYayoicough*) could make for a great role model for girls who might be watching this show.

The sad thing is I've already seen fanworks for Takaharu/Kasumi, even though it would be incest :sweat: