Shuriken Sentai Ninninger Episode 3 - The Vicious Gabi Appears

t5pvee.png

Nagi tries to find a way to establish his identity as a ninja, while Izayoi revives Kibaoni's First Spear.

Comments:

It's a Nagi focused episode where Takaharu gets all the enemies' attention while Kasumi saves the day.

A nice episode fleshing out some characters. We finally get some Takeuchi action, but it's a bit too short.

PS. Until proven otherwise (which in fairness, is highly likely), I'm going to go with the theory that Izayoi is somehow linked to Takaharu and Fuuka's mother.

Didn't really get the point of this episode.
Nagi was supposed to be the center of it, but Takaharu gets all the attention.
Also, I was a little lost with the new general. I actually liked the duel between him and Takaharu but it felt like something that could happen way later in the series.
I mean, there was no buildup to showing that Takaharu is super strong (even though it's implied in the first two episodes). People watching the show just have to assume it from two episodes and now that duel...

The monster of the week was weird. There is this thing in Sentai that when a monster dies, whatever he's done is reversed. THough he died, the truck was still acting crazy.

PS. Until proven otherwise (which in fairness, is highly likely), I'm going to go with the theory that Izayoi is somehow linked to Takaharu and Fuuka's mother.

HE is a page, so that's unlikely. Except if she had weird sex with a Yokai.

That scene where they're talking about Nagi's ninja training books...except Pink, who's really enjoying her snack. Aww.

I wonder if there were lots of outtakes for this episode. Monster costumes are typically difficult to see out of, and combining it with rollerblades seems like a great way to have the actor constantly falling over.

Anybody else thinking that the skeleton-y thing at the end is going to be the series' generic giant footsoldier like the Darkliner robos or the Giant Zorima?

Last edited:
Some kind of Beast mode
This is one of those rare instances where I like the suit actor more than the main actor. Takaharu is a strange one. He's hit or miss. Ninninger also seems to be glaring with cheesy direction at points. Taka doesn't need to be Daigo, not sure why they're forcing catch phrases.

Not sure why fear has been gathering since Shinkenger...or was it Gekiranger.

Roller Blades seemed like he came right out of Carranger in terms of looks.

Taka's yelling is uncomfortable for me, but also seems like it is for him as well.

I love henshins and the creativity behind them each time, so I didn't mind the spam in this episode.

New big bad is seemingly awesome and all the fights are still on point.

So far, this show doesn't always do silly well, but it's game face is consistent.

Didn't really get the point of this episode.
Nagi was supposed to be the center of it, but Takaharu gets all the attention.
Also, I was a little lost with the new general. I actually liked the duel between him and Takaharu but it felt like something that could happen way later in the series.
I mean, there was no buildup to showing that Takaharu is super strong (even though it's implied in the first two episodes). People watching the show just have to assume it from two episodes and now that duel...

Because he's red it's just sort of expected, I guess. The dialogue doesn't really match up to how he's acts.

I don't like how much focus there's been on Red and Blue either, so far it feels like they're the main characters and everyone else is just in the background. Even in an episode that's supposed to be about Nagi, it felt like he was there to further the plot between the other two. Oh, and there's two girls on the team as well? I almost didn't notice. I do like the comedy stuff with Fuuka and it seems like Kasumi could easily be one of the best characters, if she ever actually gets to do anything, but so far they've barely had a line between them.

I thought Kasumi shined in both episode 2 and 3. She doesn't say much, but she still manages to shine. In episode 3, she's mostly there to save her teammates from screwing up. She was the only one there for all three times when her teammates were in trouble: When Nagi started the trip on the runaway truck, when Nagi miscalculated his jump, and when Takaharu was about to get smacked by Gabi.

Fuuka gets her little focus time in episode 1 and 3, but not in a very good way. It's either about her trying to put down Takaharu's efforts, or her being the butt of jokes.

I thought Kasumi shined in both episode 2 and 3. She doesn't say much, but she still manages to shine.
I thought that too, but I wasn't sure if that was just because I was already a little familiar with the actress from her small roles in Rider and Metal Hero movies and so was looking out for her. Nice to know it isn't just me. :sweat:

D

Dr Kain

Okay, I can see where some of the Daigo similarities are coming from, but it still isn't anywhere near that bad. I liked Gabi a lot, but what was the reason for having a mech battle here? It felt tacked on and did not belong here.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Okay, I can see where some of the Daigo similarities are coming from, but it still isn't anywhere near that bad. I liked Gabi a lot, but what was the reason for having a mech battle here? It felt tacked on and did not belong here.

Probably the Bandai mandate to promote first quarter toys.

D

Dr Kain

I miss the days when there did not have to be a mech battle just for the sake of one.

BTW, what Yokais are Izzayoi and Gabi?