If I was going to show a toku to a group of people my first choices would be Gaim and Gokaiger, if not Gaim, I would choose W, and if not Gokaiger, I'd choose Gekiranger. Garo Might be a good choice too, as a good example of the adult toku. I personally would also play Keitai Sousakan 7, but thats a controversial decision lol. Those first 2 episodes are just so intense, if they catch you, they really catch you.

I thought about showing Gigna since it takes place in a stand alone universe and it's more recent. I don't want people to laugh at something that is dated.

I don't want people to think Ultraman is just another toy-oriented show. It just gives the wrong impression.
Try Ultraseven X. It's recent and only loosely connected to the original series.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8odw9TVWI"][???MAD] ULTRASEVEN X ~Another day comes~ - YouTube[/ame]

I still strongly recommend Ultraman The Next though. Even you can't show the movie, you should at least show its trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NlbJcRgUQY"]ULTRAMAN 2004 'Digest' Theatrical Trailer (with English Subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

I thought some decent MVs would be a good introduction. I'd start the event with this masterpiece:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uokHKC0oY4"]?MAD? ??????? -?????- ???? - YouTube[/ame]

More:
http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?t=91588

Last edited:
If you want to show Heisei Kamen Rider, then depending on your audience, the first episode of Kuuga (if you think the mystery aspect will interest them) or Double are both OK ways to go. But honestly, consider the first episodes of either Decade or Wizard. Yes, I know, those two series on the whole have far more haters than defenders, and with good reason, but those two both have good claims for the best opening episodes in the franchise (which is partially why the fall afterwards hurts so very badly). Or, if you want a one-shot with that mid-heisei flavour, just go with Kamen Rider G?

The first episode of Garo Makai Senki works pretty well as a stand-alone 'Kouga vs Horror' episode, with very little "you'll need to know" baggage, and a few plot hooks at the end to attract interested people to explore the series more. The effects aren't as aged as those in the original series either. Although IIRC there is a topless women in one scene of that episode, so obviously you'd have to judge whether that's appropriate for the people you're showing it too.

Or consider totally blurring the lines and showing Nagadon: The Monster From Mars. It's a half hour one-shot CGI anime (with a dub if that's your group's preference) that basically does the giant robot vs alien monster thing, but in a style very reminiscent of Toho's classic toku films.
Some of the episodes of Akibaranger does have a lot of anime jokes in alongside all the Sentai ones, so it may be worth considering.
I'd say go with Ultraman Tiga or Mebius as your Ultra series. And probably show Shikenger or Goseigers or Gokaigers just to destroy everyone's perception on Power Rangers.
Mebius probably isn't a bad shout for an opening episode. Either the actual first episode or maybe if you've shown them an episode of the original series already then try episode 47 (you'd need to check out the Fushigi-san subs, as TV-N hasn't gotten as far as this through the series yet), where the original Ultraman makes a guest appearance.

Ultraman The Next.
GARO.
Hakaider.
Kamen Rider Black.

Personally I would either pick Hakaider og Ultraman The Next.
The Next is a very good movie that stays true to the Ultraman universe, while having a more modern look. The story is also much more interesting for adult viewers.

Hakaider is likewise a very good movie with tons of action and great symbolism if you are into that.
I know many anime fans love this movie.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qst85qm28E"]Hakaider Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Shyni
If you can only show episodes, maybe one of the Kyrieloid episodes of Tiga. Or the Obiko episode.

One of the teamups episode in mebius might be good too.

Last edited:
Personally, my middle ground for Kamen Rider and Ultraman would be Kuuga and Tiga respectively. I feel like they represented the "new" generation of Kamen Rider and Ultraman due to their change in norms (multiple forms, mature story) and how they were both due for a revival (Kuuga was the first TV series since Black RX) (Tiga was the first Ultraman series since Ultraman 80). I think these two series was the bridge between the Showa and Heisei era for both of these franchises. Plus, it just so happens that these two were my favorite series growing up and still holds a special place in my heart today. All I can say is, you can't go wrong with Kamen Ride Kuuga or Ultraman Tiga. :)

Tempted to say Garo.

Actually the opening episode of "The One Who Shines in the Darkness" would be good one. While it doesn't quite have the mind-bending weirdness of Keita Amemiya's stuff in the first two, I feel it still has merit in terms of a more "mature" toku. It's also a somewhat fresh start that doesn't require prior knowledge of anything that came before. Plus, no nudity to navigate if that's an issue.

If it isn't, just show them Red Requiem.

As for more "conventional" fare, Shinkenger is a pretty good example of a modern Sentai. Or Gokaiger for the "sampler" approach.

"Training."
Try the first two episodes of Kuuga. But it might also set the standard waaaaaaaaayy too high for them regarding Kamen Rider. :sweat: