I'm hosting a Tokusatsu day for my anime and manga club at my college. I was wondering what shows would be a good choice to show off. I was think W, Gokaiger and Ultraman Ginga could work.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
By Tokusatsu Day you mean that you are going to subject them to 24 hours of Toku? :laugh:

In all seriousness, if you are going to show Ultraman, i say you should avoid Ginga, the first episode is quite good but i think there are better representations of the franchise. If you can show movies then Ultraman the Next is a good choice, but personally i would go for the Ultraman Mebius & Ultraman Brothers movie. That is a pretty good movie that really sums up what makes Ultraman such an endearing franchise, but if you want to hook them with some great action then the Ultra Galaxy Legends movie is a must.

Super Sentai is a though one, the franchise has such a great range and different seasons appeal to diferent people, so it is hard to think of a good middle ground to introduce people to toku. Gokaiger is an OK choice, but i say you choose some of the best episodes and show that, or alternatively, show the Gokaiger Vs Gavan Movie, which is probably the best Gokaiger Movie.

If you can get a hold of them, i say show the Director´s Cut of the first two episodes of Shinkenger, that´s a pretty solid introduction to the franchise.

As for Kamen Rider, that´s tricky.

Again, the franchise has had such an evolution, that it is hard to find a good middle ground.

If you show some "Neo-Heisei" Rider, i would go for either the first couple of episodes of W or episodes 31 and 32 of Fourze. Show one or the other but not both.

For regular Heisei, Den-O is a good option for the silly humor, but for something more serious you could either go Kuuga or a selection of Faiz episodes (7-8 and 16-17 are a good choice).

For classic Rider some V3 is always good, but i strongly suggest that you show the First Episode of Kamen Rider Black; to this day it remains as one of the best first episodes in Tokusatsu and it is a pretty good example of WHY people like classic Toku.

And of course, there is always Megamax.

My anime/manga club runs from 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM. We don't plan to show any movies. I thought Tiga or maybe Nexus can work. We did Toku day last year, we show the more older stuff like Japanese Spider-Man, the first Ultraman show from 1966, Johnny Sokko and Kamen Rider X. We want to show more recent stuff this time.

I'd say go with Ultraman Tiga or Mebius as your Ultra series. And probably show Shikenger or Goseigers or Gokaigers just to destroy everyone's perception on Power Rangers.

I plan on showing W since it seems like the best choice to introduce people into Kamen Rider. What about Kyoryuger?

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
Kyouryuuger can be a good choice if you choose the right episodes, i would say go for the debut of KyoryuGold (11-12), the first defeat of Deboss or the christmas episodes.

I have my reserves about W, but if you must i say show some of the Accel episodes, particularly the Invisible arc and the defeat of Weather Dopant.

If you are going for more modern shows, i still say Faiz is a good choice if you use the right episodes.

For Ultraman, if you can´t show movies then it is a bit trickier.

Nexus is a good show, but since it is extremelly serialized it might be hard to hook people into it. The episode were Mizorogi dies is a good choice (i think it was 29) and the final episodes of Ren are also very good.

Besides that, there is also the Ultraman Mebius Gaiden: Ghost Reverse specials. They have some great action and a good story to boot.

I thought about showing Nexus, but I'm not sure it's the best choice to introduce people into Ultraman.