D

Dr Kain

I thought you were supposed to be opposing Captain Shark, not adopting his bonkers mentality.

I don't think Fiveman, Liveman, Turboranger, Goggle V, Maskman, and Bioman are all that great, honestly. With a few exceptions, their rangers are flatter than the paper they were conceived on and the shows feature way too many mech battles and too many Monsters of the Week. Like I give Bioman credit for trying to do new things, but neither the heroes nor villains are interesting in the slightest. Even Changeman had a pretty generic ranger cast, but some of their villains were developed quite well enough to excel the show compared to its brethren. Of course, Dynaman is by far the most fun I've had of the 80s stuff and it is a shame MFC quietly dropped the show with only 15 episodes to go as I've been told the last 15 episodes are intense.

Hurricanger, while playing it safe, had development for its ranger teams, the Gouraigers started out bad, Shurukinger kept you guessing as who he really was, Saturokuro and Sargain were awesomely badass, it had pretty decent mech battles, among other things. I'd still put it in the middle of the road as far as Sentai series go, but I'll take it over a lot of the shows I mentioned.

All right, everyone. It's official. The spelling is indeed Hurricaneger. It might offend your western sense of proper grammar, but that is the spelling.
Now the only thing left to see if they actually translate the word Ninpuu or or not. I won't be against it, but if they do, I seriously hope they don't translate it as "Ninja Storm". I know, that technically is one way to translate it, but I still like to have some dissonance between the two shows.

Also...
@Dr Kain, @Kamen Rider IXA
Please don't feed Captain Shark. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Shark has made up his mind about the toku shows he does & does not prefer, he is not looking to be challenged, he doesn't want anyone to change his mind, he just wants to be stubborn as cause trouble by flaunting his opinions as if they are facts. (And if Shark replies saying something like "They ARE facts", then he's just proving my point.)

D

Dr Kain

What do you mean? Ninpuu is right there in the title not translated.

As for not feeding the shark, that isn't any fun. Sometimes it's worth dropping a Felix Leighter or two. :p

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
and the shows feature way too many mech battles and too many Monsters of the Week.
This is why I watch tokusatsu even if plot and character's aren't good, if I wanted just plot and character junk I'd either read some old tired book or a realistic drama, which I rarely do. Entertainment is made to escape reality after all, not be reminded of it.

What do you mean? Ninpuu is right there in the title not translated.

In the Gingaman boxset, despite what was printed on the box, the subs would sometimes translate "Seijuu" as "Star Beast". I've seen screenshots confirming this. So I am hoping they'll do the same for Hurricaneger.

D

Dr Kain

In the Gingaman boxset, despite what was printed on the box, the subs would sometimes translate "Seijuu" as "Star Beast". I've seen screenshots confirming this. So I am hoping they'll do the same for Hurricaneger.

True, the Gingaman subs were just a nightmare all around from a translation aspect (they also used Toei's official English lyrics for the opening song, so the subs read Galactic Warriors Gingaman there). There was no consistency at all with those ones. Not to mention the last disc is mistimed. Fortunately, GoGoFIve, Timeranger, and Jetman have been near perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
:cool: The Sentai version of Ninja Storm is coming to America. Thank you, Shout Factory.

I'm a little behind on collecting the Super Sentai boxsets, but thanks to Shout Factory, I've seen some clips. And I gotta say, it's interesting.

Sometimes they translate "Ninpuu" as Ninja-Style. Sometimes they translate it as simply Ninja. Most of the time, when the rangers give their roll-call, it goes untranslated.
Good job on consistency there, Shout Factory! ;) (Still gonna buy the boxset eventually. My nitpicks are all in harmless, good fun.)

D

Dr Kain

Oh great, so it sounds like the subs to Gingaman all over again. Then again, they've been doing that since Dairanger as they would translate Byakkoshinken to White Tiger Sword, but then when they would call him, the subs would say Byakko.

Oh well. My main concern is whether or not every episode's subs are timed properly. That is my biggest pet peeve and should be the simplist one to avoid, yet, it continues to be an issue.

D

Dr Kain

Just arrived:

vHJU9NP.jpg

Of course, I won't have time to start it until next week, but oh well.