T

Tom Strong

So what's been happening with Shout Factory lately? Three months ago we had all this hulabaloo about Fiveman supposedly being their next Sentai release, but we've had no new announcements or releases from them since Hurricanger. Does anyone know anything new?

D

Dr Kain

So what's been happening with Shout Factory lately? Three months ago we had all this hulabaloo about Fiveman supposedly being their next Sentai release, but we've had no new announcements or releases from them since Hurricanger. Does anyone know anything new?

Shout! told me on Twitter 2 weeks ago they do not have any more licenses at the moment.

Shout! told me on Twitter 2 weeks ago they do not have any more licenses at the moment.

Well, that sucks. :(
I was looking forward to see Abaranger DVD, assuming if Shout was planning to release that after Fiveman.
Hopefully, Hasbro would renew license at some point.

D

Dr Kain

Yeah, it's weird how Bruno even showed off a blurry cover to Fiveman but now they don't have the license at all. I'm just wondering if the transition from Saban to Hasbro has slowed up the licensing process.

Abaranger is the only Sentai beyond Fiveman I have never seen subtitled, so I also was looking forward to Shout!'s release. I know Imagination Station had fully subbed the show, but I've been holding off watching their release so I can see the show subbed officially for the first time. Oh well. If they don't announce anything after I get through JAKQ, Shinken, and Battle Fever J I might just go ahead and watch IS' fansubs.

Would like to change his avatar
It would be nice if someone asked Hasbro what's up. I ain't doing it, I didn't care for the stinky attitude Shout had when asked.

I really think these releases are done. Hasbro's probably not interested since they just want to focus on PR, and maybe Toei's even not interested in dealing with the toy company that's not the one they've been partnered with for decades. I think Hurricaneger was probably already worked out with Saban Brands, and Hasbro was obligated to do it.

I was *this* close to throwing away my copies of Fiveman not too long ago, thinking "Well, Shout's supposed to release that." I'm glad I didn't.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

I really think these releases are done. Hasbro's probably not interested since they just want to focus on PR, and maybe Toei's even not interested in dealing with the toy company that's not the one they've been partnered with for decades. I think Hurricaneger was probably already worked out with Saban Brands, and Hasbro was obligated to do it.

What are you talking about? Hasbro and Toei work together all of the time. And it wouldn't be the first time Shout! released a Hasbro and Toei product since they did the Transformers master trilogy.

I was *this* close to throwing away my copies of Fiveman not too long ago, thinking "Well, Shout's supposed to release that." I'm glad I didn't.

I actually deleted my Fiveman fansubs after I did my review last year and used the footage I needed for the Soda panel was doing. Honestly, other than Gekiranger and maybe Gokaiger, I'm not going to watch any Sentai show fansubbed if I'm not reviewing it anymore since I've got official subbed DVDs to watch repeatedly. Not to mention that 8 of the 12 releases are in my top 10 Sentai shows of all time list.

Hell, I just deleted my Go-Onger files last week as the only way I will ever suffer that putrid piss stain again is if it gets an official US release.

What are you talking about? Hasbro and Toei work together all of the time. And it wouldn't be the first time Shout! released a Hasbro and Toei product since they did the Transformers master trilogy.

That's a little different than Super Sentai's lifeblood being Bandai. And you think Toei would work with the franchise's sponsor's rival just to release the shows to a niche group in another country? Money talks, and I guess they could for a crazy fee, but I think it's obvious Hasbro's not interested and just wants to stay focused on PR. Because the world needs more Tommy Oliver merchandise!

D

Dr Kain

but I think it's obvious Hasbro's not interested and just wants to stay focused on PR.

How do you figure that? Hasbro just got the rights, they haven't had time to show one way or another.

Because the world needs more Tommy Oliver merchandise!

There's only been one Tommy related product released so far with 3 others out that isn't Tommy, an upcoming SDCC set that isn't Tommy, and another wave with rumors of characters that aren't Tommy.

How do you figure that? Hasbro just got the rights, they haven't had time to show one way or another.

I figure that they just acquired the rights, so they're going to want to focus on just that and building their on spin on the brand and not give a damn about the franchise's funky Japanese father.

We'd also have a new Shout release, now wouldn't we? People have been vocal enough about wanting more.