Shout! Factory Releasing Mirai Sentai Timeranger - July 31st 2018

D

Dr Kain

Oh, I did not realize Shout! Factory uses free lance translators like Funimation does. That makes so much more sense now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Timeranger. Like GoGo Five (god, it is going to be weird typing Five instead of just a V now), this will be my first time watching the show subtitled. I look forward to it, especially since I haven't watched it in about 8 years.

Just to be clear, I don't want the sheer mention of OhRanger to snowball into pages of debate and arguing. Toku Prime pretty much spelled it all out, let's move on.
My only concern was the quality of the releases, especially the video quality. If disc count doesn't match the Toei DVD release, I always wonder. But no one has brought it up, so I am assuming it's a non-issue.

Also, freelance translators... That's interesting. Didn't know that was a standard practice. I just assumed Shout! and Funimation had a pool of full-time translators they could utilize at any time. Guess that would explain any translation inconsistencies between (or within) releases. Learn something every day.

Just to be clear, I don't want the sheer mention of OhRanger to snowball into pages of debate and arguing. Toku Prime pretty much spelled it all out, let's move on.
My only concern was the quality of the releases, especially the video quality. If disc count doesn't match the Toei DVD release, I always wonder. But no one has brought it up, so I am assuming it's a non-issue.
Why should the picture quality be affected if the amount of discs is different?

Apparently Toei's own Timeranger DVDs aren't that great in picture quality themselves. That has been brought to the attention of Brian Ward, the Shout! Factory official who has been overseeing these Sentai releases. Here, you'll see what he has to say on the matter. It might even explain the differences in the amount of discs in each Sentai set compared to Toei's releases.

https://twitter.com/BWard028/status/981985871535616000

D

Dr Kain

So far, there hasn't been anything wrong. The video quality to Gingaman, GoGo Five, and Timeranger was garbage anyway on Toei's DVDs thanks to the piss poor tapes they were filmed on and Gingaman looked exactly the same despite having more episodes on the disc compared to what Toei did. As such, I can't knock Shout!'s video down at all when they can only work with what they have been given. It's just a shame that Toei has no interest in properly remastering their shows since it will take a lot of work to do so.

Also, freelance translators... That's interesting. Didn't know that was a standard practice. I just assumed Shout! and Funimation had a pool of full-time translators they could utilize at any time. Guess that would explain any translation inconsistencies between (or within) releases. Learn something every day.

Funimation only has two full time translators (who work on specific long shows for consistency) and the rest are free lance.

So far, there hasn't been anything wrong. The video quality to Gingaman, GoGo Five, and Timeranger was garbage anyway on Toei's DVDs thanks to the piss poor tapes they were filmed on and Gingaman looked exactly the same despite having more episodes on the disc compared to what Toei did. As such, I can't knock Shout!'s video down at all when they can only work with what they have been given. It's just a shame that Toei has no interest in properly remastering their shows since it will take a lot of work to do so.

I've had a look at GogoFive's DVDs and the picture quality isn't horrible. Maybe the Timeranger DVD s won't look so bas when they come out.

Timeranger has gone up for preorder on Shout! Factory's site some time last week. So now there's cover art, and of course you get it two weeks early if you preorder from them.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/mirai-sentai-timeranger-the-complete-series?product_id=6775

hw1kvqJ.jpg

D

Dr Kain

I wouldn't mind getting it two weeks early if it wasn't like a $20 price difference.

:DTimeRangers is the Sentai series that became Power Rangers Time Force.

D

Dr Kain

Shout! wasn't kidding when they said you would get Timeranger early if you preordered it from them. DAMN!!!!

vIP7CxD.jpg