Shout! Factory Obtains Saban License- Power Rangers Seasons on DVD!

S

scikaiju

And how in the world does Saban have more power than Toei in anything? Without Toei involved, PR would've never been made.

And I certainly don't think that Saban has the right to not tell Toei not to release their own creations outside of Japan at all.

He meant story wise Saban's Masked rider had no place to go, not that Saban was telling Toei not release their creation elsewhere.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Kamen rider Dragon Knight failed due to bad advertizement & marketing. Maybe, only people who knew about Kamen Rider beforehand knew that this show existed- and then it got strung onto the CW's Saturday morning line up, so in oder to see it, you'd have to be up, surfing your tv channels at 10:30 in the morning and assume a show with a name that doesn't make sense & was surrounded by Chaotic, TMNT & DBZ was worth watching.

See the problem?

How could they reasonably hold sway, may I ask?

Kamen Rider has failed twice in the States and the only export they got is Power Rangers ,which another company holds the rights to. I'm not sure how Toei could own Power Rangers or have any say since Saban has more clout and power than them in this situation. Saban could take the rights of Power Rangers in its whole and or hold the rights and decide not to make another one. As they hold the rights, Toei can't market Sentai to anyone for it being "too Japanese" , being called a "Power Rangers ripoff" and if they tried to get it adapted via someone else, they could get sued.

They should release seasons 1-3 (Zyu-Kaku) like Golion and Dairugger. Limited release but subbed.
Toei owns a 50% share in Power Rangers. Always has done, always will. If Saban decided to axe the show (as Disney did), it would end, and Toei would be within their rights to sell the rights to use the footage to another company. They could even buy the other half of Power Rangers brand from Saban if they so chose. I don't think they want to do that though - and in fact they probably had a hand in Saban Brands getting back the rights - and indeed, Saban Brands' very existence, since it was set up by Saban Capital Group specifically for the acquisition of the Saban Entertainment toku back catalogue.

Toei owns a 50% share in Power Rangers. Always has done, always will. If Saban decided to axe the show (as Disney did), it would end, and Toei would be within their rights to sell the rights to use the footage to another company. They could even buy the other half of Power Rangers brand from Saban if they so chose. I don't think they want to do that though - and in fact they probably had a hand in Saban Brands getting back the rights - and indeed, Saban Brands' very existence, since it was set up by Saban Capital Group specifically for the acquisition of the Saban Entertainment toku back catalogue.

That makes no sense as there'd be a huge legal battle over it since Saban owns the other half. And since Saban owns the other half, they could block all attempts for Toei to buy Power Rangers (You can't be forced to sell your own property). It's much different than the 4Kids situation where they infringed on their rights. I hope Saban buys Toei and just owns them so they can use all those resources to their advantage.

Is not impressed right now...
Kamen rider Dragon Knight failed due to advertizement & marketing. Maybe, only people who knew about Kamen Rider beforehand knew that this show existed- and then it got strung onto the CW's Saturday morning line up, so in oder to see it, you'd have to be up, surfing your tv channels at 10:30 in the morning and assume a show with a name that doesn't make sense & was surrounded by Chaotic, TMNT & DBZ was worth watching.

See the problem?

That's not why Dragon Knight failed.

Dragon Knight failed because its momentum was killed by a three-month break and Bandai dropped the ball on the toyline in every way imaginable.

D

Dr Kain

Dragon Knight failed because it was crap. The sound effects were lackluster, sometimes even non-existent, the music was boring, the effects themselves looked cheap, and the show was just boring. Add on top some of the worst acting that makes the ranger case from Operation Overddrive look like Humphrey Bogart, and you have a terrible show no matter how you look at it.

Nice post!!
And I certainly don't think that Saban has the right to not tell Toei not to release their own creations outside of Japan at all.

It's important to remember that as far as Toei's concerned, Saban's release is the official US release of their creation. Toei doesn't care about the content changes and would probably be very surprised to know that anybody who lived in the US did, either.

Supporting anecdote time: some years ago when Fullmetal Alchemist was still ongoing, I interviewed the first PS2 game's producer and a couple of the developers at E3. When the interview was over and we were chit-chatting, I mentioned offhandedly that it'd be nice to have an additional Japanese voice track available on products like this.

The producer looked very confused at that and said, basically, "But wouldn't Americans rather hear the voices from their version of the show?" After I explained that US DVDs have Japanese language tracks and a lot of fans prefer to watch with subtitles, he said he never would've imagined that and promised to look into the matter.

Dragon Knight failed because it was crap. The sound effects were lackluster, sometimes even non-existent, the music was boring, the effects themselves looked cheap, and the show was just boring. Add on top some of the worst acting that makes the ranger case from Operation Overddrive look like Humphrey Bogart, and you have a terrible show no matter how you look at it.

I agree. I stopped watching the show for these reasons ,especially the clusterfuck that was the plot. It tried to be a Showa-esque Rider series where their is a central evil and they and a few other Riders fight back with Dragon Knight , yet have the one Rider for himself battle royale?

The execution SUCKED. Most of the time , Xaviax was completely useless until 1/3rd of the story which after that I left and apparently they made no ground in the actual story...the Wang Bros. clearly did not have a plan laid out beyond the pilot when they wrote it. A great concept actually, but the premise was neglected by confusion.

The Rider conflicts felt they had far less weight as any conflict they had with Xaviax felt nonexistent until it was convenient to bring back. Since there was a lack of consistency within the series conflicts, it made me wonder why they

It's important to remember that as far as Toei's concerned, Saban's release is the official US release of their creation. Toei doesn't care about the content changes and would probably be very surprised to know that anybody who lived in the US did, either.

Supporting anecdote time: some years ago when Fullmetal Alchemist was still ongoing, I interviewed the first PS2 game's producer and a couple of the developers at E3. When the interview was over and we were chit-chatting, I mentioned offhandedly that it'd be nice to have an additional Japanese voice track available on products like this.

The producer looked very confused at that and said, basically, "But wouldn't Americans rather hear the voices from their version of the show?" After I explained that US DVDs have Japanese language tracks and a lot of fans prefer to watch with subtitles, he said he never would've imagined that and promised to look into the matter.

Exactly. The more we speak, the greater chance it might come around.