Should fansubbers focus on Pre-Zyuranger era?

K

kamil88

It seems like Shout Factory is going to release all past Zyuranger Super Sentai, i know fansubbers have right to choose whatever hey sub, but..wouldn't it better to stick to pre0Zyu era? As after Sentai get licensed, fansub get removed to not damage sales)

subs can do whatever sentai they want, so I would not be a good idea to only sub pre zyu. Sentai is a niche thing in the US, why make it so that the subs online are gone because shout factory wants to boost sales? Im sorry, but I dont wanna spend about $40 on a dvd series that i'll probably end up watching once then not watching again til long in the future. Also doing that will hurt the viewers in the end. Think about it, why pay money to watch a sentai on dvd when its online for free?

R

raden238

Yeah about that, does Shout Factory demand fan subbers to take the videos or do the subbers do it on there own out of kindness to help them with sales?

subs can do whatever sentai they want, so I would not be a good idea to only sub pre zyu. Sentai is a niche thing in the US, why make it so that the subs online are gone because shout factory wants to boost sales? Im sorry, but I dont wanna spend about $40 on a dvd series that i'll probably end up watching once then not watching again til long in the future. Also doing that will hurt the viewers in the end. Think about it, why pay money to watch a sentai on dvd when its online for free?

I agree, it seems kind of pointless to taken down the videos when they're been on online for so many years and plenty of people have watched them already. Shout Factory should sub all the Sentais from the 70s and 80s like Gorenger and Goggle-V. They should do the ones that people have never seen before, that will surely get sales. But doing Kakuranger right after the fans subs were complete is pointless. I don't see them subbing all the Sentai from Ohranger - onward either. Its gonna end somewhere.

Harumph.
It'd be silly to drop every single post-Zyuranger series because Shout Factory may release it somewhere down the line. There's no telling when that might be and if it can happen. It costs a lot of money to print DVDs and the audience for these is very niche.

why pay money to watch a sentai on dvd when its online for free?

The way I see it, fansubs aren't generally a replacement for official subtitles but merely substitutes in the absence of them.

Let's be honest about this: fansubbing is a form of piracy. It's illegal. The only reason the toku fansubbers haven't been stamped out of existance is because they operate in a territory (i.e. the United States) where the creators of these shows aren't making any money, which means they have less motivation to spend money on taking people to court.

This is from before I got into the fandom, but I remember hearing that Toei once announced that the film 'Kamen Rider The Next' was going to get a North American release, and TV Nihon immediately got a message telling them to take down their fansub of the film or else they'd be issued a cease and desist order. So that's kinda become the unofficial rule: only sub things with no legal release, and if something later does get a legal release you take down your illegal version ASAP.

Also, from what they say it seems most of the people who make toku fansubs are doing it at least partially because they want to promote these shows and get more people to see and enjoy them. But fansubs only reach people who either are already fans or hear about them through word of mouth. A DVD promo campaign from Shout Factory will reach many more more people and create many more toku fans. And of course, if something gets an official sub then the people working for OverTime, TV Nihon etc get to kick back and do something else with their free time (maybe even watch some toku!) instead of spending it working on subs.

Not to mention that pre-Zyu Sentai are being worked on or have been finished.

-Love & Care/Rampage are working on Goranger. They're 52 out of 85 episodes in. Love & Care is also working on JAKQ and Turboranger.
-Nemet scrubbed all of Battle Fever J.
-Sun Vulcan was fully subbed by Gao Soul Forever.
-Grown Ups In Spandex have finished Bioman (minus the movie), Maskman, Liveman, and Jetman; plus they are currently subbing Changeman and Flashman.

That just leaves Denjiman, Goggle V (which was being subbed by Hikari Senshi before they went on hiatus), Dynaman (Millionfold Curiosity may be tackling this show after finishing Gavan), and Fiveman (which was being subbed by GUIS, but seems to be on hold right now).

Heroes are forever
...am I missing a memo here? I thought every Sentai post-Zyu was already subbed? If anything, that gives more than enough reason to focus on pre-Zyu sentai. (Or Pre-Jetman Sentai I should say).

Mad Skillz
...am I missing a memo here? I thought every Sentai post-Zyu was already subbed? If anything, that gives more than enough reason to focus on pre-Zyu sentai. (Or Pre-Jetman Sentai I should say).

Timeranger and Hurricanger remain unsubbed, but yeah, the majority of them are.

Think about it, why pay money to watch a sentai on dvd when its online for free?
To...actually support something you enjoy? $40 for an entire 50 episode series is an absolute steal. We never thought Sentai would be released in the West on DVD and here we are getting them at a fantastic price. Let's be honest, if you want to, you can still easily find those shows subbed online but tokusatsu has such a small community that the general consensus seems to be actually supporting the things we enjoy when we have the opportunity to. Like, I'm not really into toys so I would much rather have a DVD set than any toy.

Yeah about that, does Shout Factory demand fan subbers to take the videos or do the subbers do it on there own out of kindness to help them with sales?
Most fansubbers remove them of their own accord and ask fans to support the official releases.

D

Dr Kain

why make it so that the subs online are gone because shout factory wants to boost sales? Im sorry, but I dont wanna spend about $40 on a dvd series that i'll probably end up watching once then not watching again til long in the future. Also doing that will hurt the viewers in the end. Think about it, why pay money to watch a sentai on dvd when its online for free?

Because you should be buying the legal product. Fansubs are irrelevant once an official product is available on DVD/BD. The quality will never match that of a physical disc no matter how good it looks.

$40 is chump change for a 50 episode series. I paid $500 for the Japanese DVDs of each Zyu and Dai (and Kaku). That's $1500 spent on three series for the Japanese discs and now you get them all for a little over $100? You are getting these shows for a steal AND with subtitles.

Not just that, but anime series in the US cost twice as much for half of the episode count.

Yeah, Time and Hurri are really the only series left. Yeah, a lot of them are still under TV rips, but they are at least subbed.

Because you should be buying the legal product. Fansubs are irrelevant once an official product is available on DVD/BD. The quality will never match that of a physical disc no matter how good it looks.

$40 is chump change for a 50 episode series. I paid $500 for the Japanese DVDs of each Zyu and Dai (and Kaku). That's $1500 spent on three series for the Japanese discs and now you get them all for a little over $100? You are getting these shows for a steal AND with subtitles.

Not just that, but anime series in the US cost twice as much for half of the episode count.

It is unfortunate that you spent $1500 on sentai discs. I mean for collector's sake, its okay. But im sorry, I cant support the release of something that's going to be very niche in the very long run. Buying power rangers series on DVD/BD is one thing, because its popular towards kids and nostalgic towards older teens and adults, plus it has a demographic, but sentai is something that very few people in the US know about and will buy. As for the anime part, certain anime such as DBZ (and maybe AOT) would sell well as its not really niche, but some other anime are niche so there's that. What im saying is that if the show is going to be an inevitable niche product in the US, I cannot support it, only because I just feel like its not going to go anywhere, and to be quite frank, I have higher priorites to spend my money on.

One more thing, if the entire subs will be deleted to anticipate the US releases of the sentai, then it'll take forever to get to the other sentais to be released. that is all