Should fansubbers focus on Pre-Zyuranger era?

No one is saying you are wrong. What we are saying is that you are acting entitled as if you deserve to watch them for free. You've got 36 other series you can watch for free right now. Supporting three shows is not that big of a deal. BTW, Zyuranger was on sale a few week's back for $28. That's TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS for 50 episodes. That is chump change.

$28....huh? Maybe its time to actually say that I am in the wrong here. Maybe im still a little salty at zyuranger for not being that good to me, but maybe kakuranger might be a worth it series to buy for myself. Still have to watch that for myself. Here's hoping that they at least sub ohranger officially.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
>Hurricanger wasn't subbed

Are you guys not counting bootleg subs? Because last I checked it was.

It's based on the idea that the only reason people do fan subbing here in the states is because the shows we like in the tokusatsu realm are not readily available here in the states. Purchasing licensed products here in the states showcases that there is clearly a market for it here. Shout Factory have been pretty successful with Zyuranger, Dairanger and now are going to release Kakuranger soon.

Granted it does sorta take away from all the hard work that was done in the past, but then again I rather like that this stuff is being made available at all. I still have the box sets of Iron King and Super Robot Red Baron that was released by BCI Eclipse almost ten years ago, and I have the Ultraseven release that SHout Factory did also, and also have Kikaider from Generation Kikaider.

I am also planning on purchasing the Shout Factory Sentai releases for a friend of mine who is a fellow Ranger fan, only because I already have the fan subs of Zyuranger and Kakuranger, and it's not very likely that the official subbed version of Kakuranger is going to be as good or creative with the fan subs the way GUIS were when they worked on Kakuranger. Besides, it'll mostly likely be at least twenty years before they finally get to Gokaiger if things continue the way they've been going and they release one official Sentai program that was adapted into Power Rangers a year. But it also means that we won't be getting official releases for Go Buster or ToQger either, since neither of those shows were adapted into Power Rangers.

Anyway, as to whether fan sub groups should focus on pre Zyuranger programs or not, that's really up to the groups. With that said, I am happy that amongst the pre-Zyu shows released so far have come largely from GUIS, who have done, Maskman, Bioman, Liveman, Jetman, and are currently working on CHangeman and Flashman. Rampage Fansubs are working on Goranger in collaboration with LovexCare, who I think are also working on Turboranger. GaoSoul Forever worked on Sun Vulcan and finished it before they went kaput. I don't think anyone is working on JAKQ, or Denziman or Goggle V, and Battle Fever J is available, but mostly as a scrub of the subtitles used on Hawaiian TV, so it's not clear how accurate the subs are for that show are.

It's all a matter of personal choice, but it would be nice see some of these shows fan subbed in the near future.

I think the main thing that makes people ask this question is seeing several subbing groups working on the same show, when there are so many other shows that could use subs (and fans, for that matter.)

I think the main thing that makes people ask this question is seeing several subbing groups working on the same show, when there are so many other shows that could use subs (and fans, for that matter.)

With the exception of TV-Nihon, cases like this are happening less and less. But ultimately, we cannot stop anyone from following their passions. If the translators have no love or interest in the older shows, they aren't going to fansub it for us. All we can do is thank the fansub groups for their hard work, no matter what it is.

It'd be silly to drop every single post-Zyuranger series because Shout Factory may release it somewhere down the line. There's no telling when that might be and if it can happen. It costs a lot of money to print DVDs and the audience for these is very niche.

The way I see it, fansubs aren't generally a replacement for official subtitles but merely substitutes in the absence of them.

This. However I think the longer the Shout DVDs keep going, the smaller the potential audience for them will be. Zyuranger, Dairanger and Kakuranger make perfect sense, as Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers is still the most iconic part of the franchise. Surprised they didn't just plaster Kibaranger all over the Dairanger box, just to milk the Tommy/White Ranger thing.

I'd be curious to know how well Dairanger did and Kakuranger will do, compared to Zyuranger, actually, considering how unfamiliar/different a lot of those shows will seem. I'd be stunned if we get Ohranger and beyond on DVD.

Timeranger and Hurricanger remain unsubbed, but yeah, the majority of them are.

After a brief check, it seems like Rescue Sentai GoGoV needs some subbing too. There ARE subs for like the first 30 episodes or so but not the full series (this being exactly the same boat Timeranger is in--some of it is subbed, just not all of it)

D

Dr Kain

After a brief check, it seems like Rescue Sentai GoGoV needs some subbing too. There ARE subs for like the first 30 episodes or so but not the full series (this being exactly the same boat Timeranger is in--some of it is subbed, just not all of it)

You didn't check enough. Imagination Station is in the middle of doing GoGoV. They have 39 episodes out so far and have been releasing them almost an episode a week.