Shiver: Double Feature TTRPG Review

Administrator
Staff member
The chill of mist-filled night. The howl of distant wolves. The leer of hungry, ravenous undead. Welcome to the world of Shiver, the tabletop roleplaying game by Parable Games! Shiver and Shiver: Double Feature are created by Charlie and Barney Menzies and is a full, setting-agnostic TTRPG designed to emulate your favorite horror movies. With a fast, exciting, and creative narrative combat system and killer art from Ben Alexader, the game will surely slay your RPG lull.
hiver-rpg-shiver-double-feature-002-e1666456017123.jpgHorror has a new name, and that name is the Shiver TTRPG…
The system first gained notoriety with its highly-successful Kickstarter of the core game in 2020. Shiver: Tabletop Roleplaying in the Strange and Unknown made a killing in the field – it later went on to win the People’s Choice Award of 2022 and...

Continue reading...

It makes me curious, It features an intriguing design and a one-shot engine with some replay value, so it won't sit around unused for months after purchase.

Suomi, Finland in my heart forever!
This RPG seems to be superb! The cover doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, and if I saw it at a drive-through, I wouldn't even give it a second glance. To be really honest, it can be difficult to persuade your players to share your enthusiasm for a new game when you hand them a book with a boring cover. The interior art is gorgeous, though. I'll definitely give the quickstart a go. I adore the creepy motif it has going on. So this is a case of don't judge a book by it's cover.

Turbo power! Ha!
I am aware that this game has two levels of difficulty: survival and horror. While your death is guaranteed in the nightmare mode, you can heal in the survivor mode.

I already own Shiver, I hope there is an option to purchase the expansion separately because I am not going to buy this game again.

I am sweet but a little bit Psycho
Very timely for Halloween and the setting is more modern. I am a bit sick of table tops in Medieval settings.

I already own Shiver, I hope there is an option to purchase the expansion separately because I am not going to buy this game again.
Indeed! The Gamefound campaign allows you to purchase Blockbuster or Slasher together OR separately. Each "Setting" is able to be bought on their own.

Horror table tops never scared me but its a refreshing change from the fantasy medieval adventures.

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
Emulate my favorite horror movie? That would be difficult since I don't really have one. But I like the Archetypes you described. I sometimes wonder what Edgar Allan Poe would have done if he had this technology at his disposal.

Perfect table top game for this Halloween season, with those exciting features.