Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I don't think there's anything to go on, yet, but Rangerboard already has a Sentai rumors thread. Current rumor is that we may finally get an insect theme.

What would you want to see in an upcoming Sentai? Mine are:

-- That actual Dragon Slayer season that hasn't happened yet.

-- Ice Age theme. Like Gaoranger meets obligatory dinosaur season with extinct Ice Age animal Mecha. Would really want to see a white Sabertooth sixth with twin fang daggers that become handguns, as well as a Copper Ranger.

-- Natural Science theme. Each ranger represents a different field of study, ie Red Volcanology, Blue Oceanography, Black Astronomy, Green Botany, etc.

Last edited:
D

Dr Kain

Honestly, I think it's time for a break.

However, if they must continue, they should do an underwater themed show about a group of marines who have ships and subs for mecha and the villains are a tribe of fire demons wanting to burn the world down.

R

raden238

It's going to be Dinosaurs again 🤣 . But seriously the trends are whenever Sentai does a year with Vehicles/Machines, the following year will have animals or mythical beasts. Even for the year 2021, Sentai barely scratched the surface, there are so many ideas that they haven't done yet. Such as an all Insect theme, Greek mythology, Medieval times theme (Ryusoulger doesn't count), James Bond Spy theme. I could go on forever.

D

Dr Kain

Just Greek mythology? They haven't touched Egyptian, Babylonian, or Indian either. In fact, I think Norse might be the only thing they've done stuff to, but that was in Kamen Rider Gaim.

I agree with Kain that Sentai should take a break or just end. At least, the yearly show could end and Sentai can live on in movies and specials. Next year is the 45th anniversary, so Toei could do something special as a sendoff. In fact, Rider should call it quits too.

Did Ryusoulger do that well that Toei thinks it can keep Sentai going?

D

Dr Kain

Ryusoulger had the worst ratings of the entire franchise at 2.6%. In fact, it's the first Sentai series to ever hit below 3%. And then you have the toy sales sucking so bad that Bandai dropped the show to B status (or whatever they call it).

One of the reasons I feel like Toei needs to just end Sentai is because Kamen Rider is now becoming a Sentai show due to how many riders they are having in each series. Why bother with Sentai if you're just going to have an entire team of Kamen Riders? The whole point of there being two series was one for a single/duo hero show and the other was a team based series. At this point, there is no difference between the two.

Although I will give them this, if they decided to end the franchise with Kiramager, at least they are going out on a good note as Kiramager has been quite good so far. It's not perfect, but it feels like a mid-2000s Sentai series over a Post-Gokaiger one.

But anyway, I think that they should take a break and bring it back in 2025 for the 50th anniversary with a half year show and do what Ultraman is doing.

Wasn't the story that Toei would consider ending Sentai if Ryusoulger did badly? Obviously they thought they could crank out one more show, at least, but there doesn't seem to be any news regarding an official "We're calling it quits" or "We're going in a new direction" announcement.

D

Dr Kain

Wasn't the story that Toei would consider ending Sentai if Ryusoulger did badly? Obviously they thought they could crank out one more show, at least, but there doesn't seem to be any news regarding an official "We're calling it quits" or "We're going in a new direction" announcement.

That's the funny thing because that was indeed the rumor, but I said it doesn't matter how poorly it does, not having a Sentai series would be breaking tradition and the Japanese hate breaking tradition.

The only thing that could possibly hint that Toei may actually be putting Sentai to rest is the rumor that Hasbro will no longer be adapting Sentai into Power Rangers after Dino Fury. However, I am taking both of those with a grain of salt until something official is stated.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Honestly, though, the Power Rangers thing, if true, might just be because it's too much of a pain in the ass to divide toy sales 3 ways & still call it a win, especially if they're selling that bad.

Plus, Shout Factory's disrupted rights to release the DVDs in the US.

D

Dr Kain

Shout!'s interrupted rights is just the nature of the beast when one company buys another though. Look at how many Fox products are in limbo right now because of Disney's acquisition. Once things get settled I have no doubt it will get back to normal.