Lurker
Do any of you guys, regardless of collecting which line of figurines, ever come to regret the fact that you got into collecting figurines or even Rider Belts?

let us face the facts, the things we collect have no survival values and we get odd stares from people most of the time. So here's my question. Do you guys ever look back and think that you wasted so much money on something that you could had lived without and it won't had made a difference?(other than the fact that you will have a lot more money at your disposal)

Right now I am feeling that regret, and at the same time I feel that i"m already in too deep to back out from my collection, thank god I'm not a completist but it still mean I'm gonna keep going. :/

I'm A Djinn
No. Losing interest at some point and missing the money I spent on something feels normal for me. Doesnt mean I dont try to sell them off now and then. Also doesnt mean I wont get back into collecting and messing around with them again either.

Your call really.

Can't decide how to pose figures...
I don't have as much income as most collectors so when buying something I always have to think carefully about what I want.

When I get something I usually feel bad about not being able to get another thing but I'd feel the same way vice verse so it can't be helped.

I'm trying to stick to one line (Kiwami Tamashii) and only getting a few other things from other lines. There's no way I be able to collect Figuarts or anything like that because I can't afford them. Been wondering whether I should get all main riders though. :laugh:

is The Underground Toy Reviewer
I look at my pretty much complete Figuarts collection, alongside the number of Transformers and other things I collect. Does it ever cross my mind "Hey man, if you weren't such a nerd with weird compulsive buying problems, you'd have a more money right now..."? Of course I do. Such cognitive dissonance is incredibly common with consumers, especially with such expensive things like these Japanese crack toys. In fact, it would be stranger for a collector to look at everything and go "I REGRET NOTHING!" It's especially grating whenever you're down, as looking at how much money you spent over time can kinda only knock you down further. To put it simply, everyone goes through it.

Do I ACTUALLY regret it? Not at all. Sure, I spend a crap ton of money on some plastic toys that will do nothing for me later in life then potentially look nice on display in my house. But looking past that...I really don't want to get sentimental, but my life has changed so much thanks to this hobby. If I would have never gotten into this hobby, I would have never started my reviews. If I never started my reviews, I never would have met so many amazing people. I never would have formed RRR with my buddies. I used to be so incredibly shy that talking to people was hard. Needless to say, it's something I'm incredibly used to now.

So even if the financial amount is something to regret, I can't put a price on how much this stuff changed my life. That's something I don't regret in the slightest.

dude nerdisms thats what you are
I don't regret collecting at all. I get what I know I love and avoid stuff that seems cool at the time but really isn't. What helps for me is that I have a girlfriend who knows when I want something cause I'm into the series right now and just want a figure of it knowing full well that I really am just gonna drop it when something new and cooler comes out. Another thing that helps me before a purchase if I have any second thoughts about it then I obviously don't really want it or need it. Occasionally, that method fails but yeah do I regret getting that second thought item no not all the time. Long story short as I stare with pride at what I have gotten and am happy with what I have. There are times I wish I was just buy buy buy like I used to be but I found that I had too much stuff laying about and at that point I said good buy to all my transformation devices because those well just didn't cut it anymore.

Nah, I don't regret my purchases. I'm not actively collecting any more, but I still have some of my collection out on display, none of it I've sold or have I been tempted to sell. Yeah, it's probably pretty strange for a grown woman to have display cases with toys all in kick ass poses, but I'm okay with it.

I DO regret not buying certain items when I had the chance. But, it's okay. I'll live. I like to not regret things because, well, the past is the past. Learn from it and move on. :thumbs:

There is surely some regrets. I used to collected Digimon V-pet, only to realise that I am not really interested in them and the money can be used for other collection. But well; that part of growing and finding out who and what you really like. I have no regrets getting OOO Core Medals, along with the drivers and all the toys (expect the RideVendor, Candriod n the complete selection) and the ranger keys. :laugh:

Lurker
I'm trying to stick to one line (Kiwami Tamashii) and only getting a few other things from other lines. There's no way I be able to collect Figuarts or anything like that because I can't afford them. Been wondering whether I should get all main riders though. :laugh:
Same here, I stick to only SIC and a few exception on the Figma and Revoltech family, like Woody Rapeface and Buzz Lightyear. :buttrock:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you guys are positive about your hobbies. Perhaps I'd been kinda down lately, maybe that's why my regrets manifested much more than normal as ShukuenShinobi said. Can't change who I am right? It's the little things that counts. To not be interested in these kind of stuff would be totally out of character for me.

Thanks for hearing me out and sharing your thoughts guys. :)

Lurker
XD I feel that regret all the time. Then, just when I decide to go through my stash an sell my stuff, as I pick it up (figure, belt, w/e) and have it in my hand, I realize just how much enjoyment I get out of it. Then it's all ice cream again...It's a vicious cycle.

I do wish I had more self control :p My collecting habits have increased in price at a constant rate >.<

I tend to keep the limit of my toys to one room, neatly.

When I start exceeding space, I reevaluate what I really want to keep, and get rid of the old to make room for the new.

This way, the collection perpetually pays for itself as most of the time I either break even, or make money on what needs to be resold.

After all, who needs endless amounts of stuff? Gotta keep it streamlined and cost effective with the end result being i only keep what I absolutely love and this system makes me appreciate what I do keep that much more.

No regrets.