The new Tendou Souji
208edxx.jpg

Been wanting an excuse to watch this show in full and figured, why not now? I finished Dynaman so, I have a spot open!

Here's a show I really ought to get back to. I keep hoping Hikari Senshi or someone will finish subbing it.

if it weren't for Lightspeed Rescue, I wouldn't have discovered this incredible series. literally the first ever Sentai I found out about (even though I had been watching Flashman and Jetman during my childhood but I didn't know).

I remember coming across it on a website made by a member here (I think it was Jillian or something?) and visited it almost everyday back then. that was around in 2003. I didn't actually get to watch the complete series until near the end of 2005, where someone on JHA was selling DVD-Rs of several Toku series.

I'd say GoGoFive was the most realistically portrayed sibling Sentai among the existing 3 sibling teams. the way they struggled to raise each other and the way they tried to overcome their parents' absence. it all seems so real because the actors themselves did a very superb job. you would almost believe they were really siblings. and as much as I have no interests in mecha, I really loved what they've done in the show!

D

Dr Kain

This is one of my top 10 favorite series while the Saima Clan is probably my top favorite villain group from Sentai history.

The new Tendou Souji
Was originally gonna watch 5 a day, then that didn't work out so I just figured I'd wait until I finish up to 10 then make a post. (^.^;; )

Not too much of a post I can make though, other that I'm loving this show. The practical effects, the writing and how everything is directed, it's great (If I may pick out a shot or two, it's stuff like this that put a smile on my face; It it just a zoom-out effect? Yes, but it works to give the impression that there are two gigantic beings dueling it out. And, I love it).

EDIT:
I keep hoping Hikari Senshi or someone will finish subbing it.

Yeah... for the meantime, I've just made due with these.

Last edited:
Lurker
This is one of my top 10 favorite series while the Saima Clan is probably my top favorite villain group from Sentai history.

I agree. The Saima Clan are some of the most, if not the deadliest, threatening villain groups in Sentai, as well as some others such as Vyram & the Bandora gang. :) :thumbs:

Sure wish that modern sentai villain groups these days were like them (maybe with Tokkyuger).

It's overall a really good sentai. As said above, it's the one handling the siblings aspects the best out of the 3 sentai with that pattern, because 1, it seems real (they fight like brothers and it impacts their fights agains the Saimas), and 2, because you can compare their interaction with the Saima brothers' (who are also siblings).

THe writing is good for almost every episode. There are some episodes that are really interesting for the franchise overall (how to deal when you hurt a civilian during a fight for example).

There's only one thing that can prevent people from watching the show. It's Matoi's attitude. THe character is somehow written to be a pain in the ass, but in the end, you're supposed to love him because he cares for his family.
In my case, I can say that I never felt anything good towards him, I just hate the character, but I love the interaction it creates with other characters.

Tokusatsu speaking, the effects will blow your mind. THe models for the vehicles are so good, and the action is perfect too. Lots of weapons for a 1990s standards, but well used on the whole.

Also, I love the Saima designs, and it's true. Even if they don't speak about the casualties, it is strongly implied that people are dying. And that makes it even more realistic !

D

Dr Kain

Matoi is one of my favorite red rangers because of the scene when he shoots the monster at point blank range.

funny enough, Matoi was the last manly Sentai Red until they kick started the annual pretty boy Sentai Red. :laugh:

Friendship and the Cosmos.
Matoi is one of my favorite red rangers because of the scene when he shoots the monster at point blank range.
This. Matoi is a hardass and I love that for a Red Senshi. Going guns blazing with the V-Lancer in one hand and the Rescue Bird in another, what a cool scene.

I know it's been brought up already but the miniature work for this series is outstanding. It's really the last Sentai that had great miniature work to me, since Timeranger moved into CGI mecha transformations (I think the only real practical effect they had was Providus) From the Grand Liner to the 99 Machines, they were all really great and it just makes the series hold up a ton to this day.

I really dug the constant close-ups we got of the actors within the helmets. It conveyed a sense of realism that the actors were really in the suits fighting. (even though the actors mentioned how hard it was since they basically had to act with only their eyes)

Plus I enjoyed the parallels between the Saima and Tatsumi family. It's interesting how they're both families fighting each other, except we see the stark differences in the two. Plus Grandiene, Zylpheeza and Salamandas are all badasses.

The episode where they went into space Armageddon style was great too. Awesome miniature work there as well.