The new Tendou Souji
Sorry if nostalgia is blinding you but the show that passed as Sailor Moon back then just wasn't the same show. From the Guardians getting captured (and yet somehow still helping Usagi as ghosts??) in the Season One finale to the unnecessary amount of hoops that Cloverway made themselves go through to cover up Uranus and Neptune's relationship, it just comes off as ridiculous now.

But hey, if you wanna live in the 90s, that's fine; send me some Macross DVDs. :laugh:

I'm really not sure what to add to all this except, let's not start a flame war or anything, please. Let's not bring hate or trolling into this.

I wouldn't say the original anime "never had a real dub". It did have one. Just a really crappy dub that tried to westernize the show; a dub that neither we nor the source material deserves. These days, we probably romanticize the old dub for a number of reasons; like the way they recycled some of the Japanese songs and musical ques into something else, or how it was a different time and this is one of the titles that spurred a revolution of fans demanding anime titles be uncut and complete.

Point is, back when the dub was airing, we knew it was all crap. It was popular to bash on it and go around quoting lines from the Japanese scripts. But now, after all these years, we're getting an uncut release of the original anime and Crystal. You're going to see "hipster" fans that stop hating on the original dub and look it subjectively now that we have the release we should've had all along. I feel the exact same way about Voltron. I use to hate it, but now that we have uncut DVDs of GoLion and Dairugger available for purchase, I can gladly go back to liking Voltron for what it was and what it still is. I'm reminded of like that joke LittleKuriboh made about 4Kids; how we all hated them and we're glad they're gone, but they still introduced us to things we love today.

It's Judgement Time!
Sorry if nostalgia is blinding you but the show that passed as Sailor Moon back then just wasn't the same show.

Thing about that is, it's not about nostalgia... okay it totally fucking is. But when I rewatch the dub, yeah.. I still love it. See, the thing I fell in love with about Sailor Moon was the dialog, was the cheeky voices, and the personalities. Y'see, I love the Sub and the Dub. In some respects, yes, I love the Sub more because of the stories and subplots that were left out of the english version. But that doesn't discredit what the english version did. I'm trying really hard not to go on a book-long rant but, simply put, I love what the Dub did to be its own thing. The music, the voices are all fantastic. Im strictly talking DiC here. I wasnt a fan of what Cloverway did. I tried real hard to like Serena's voice with Cloverway and I just couldn't get into it.

I mean, look... watch the first episode of Sailor Moon DiC version. Is it really that bad? I love it. It's cute and quirky and a lot of fun. Can't it be enjoyed for what it is?

Here's what I don't want out of my dub, I don't want just a straight up boring translation because when it comes down to it, what was so insightful about the original dialog in the japanese version? Nothing. In fact, japanese speech mannerisms can translate poorly in english. That's okay if you disagree, you're not wrong but it's still legit to say that some things don't translate smoothly.

DiC took the dialog and translated it for an audience that would get more out of it.

It's Judgement Time!
btw, i was like literally the lone defender of the DiC dubs even back in the day when it was still fresh and airing on TV. So definitely nothing new but my god... To say it did NOTHING for Sailor Moon? It introduced an entire people to the show. It created a fandom, honestly. It obviously did something right to get the major success it had here in the states with UPN and then Toonami. When it hit Toonami, god damn! We finally got new episodes! AAaah **** Sailor Moon R... now that was the ****.

To be honest, my view on the dub came merely from nostalgia and since I watched more of the latter seasons, I felt the voices were decent.

Guess I was wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6Kon_bUrI

Haruka[Amara]'s voice is so dull and lifeless and their hand holding was so awkward that I laughed at it.

I'll be interested if the voice actors for the new dub don't sound so dull and hokey.

Last edited:
It's Judgement Time!

Let's get real though, we weren't as progressive as a nation towards same-sex couples back then and even now it's a hot topic so why are we surprised of gender swapping? Although, Cloverway really did a poor job maintaining the genderswap. They attempted to turn Fisheye into a girl but referred to her as a "he" in a couple episodes and even showed "her" topless in a "sailor moon says" segment. Pretty funny. :)

Let's get real though, we weren't as progressive as a nation towards same-sex couples back then and even now it's a hot topic so why are we surprised of gender swapping? Although, Cloverway really did a poor job maintaining the genderswap. They attempted to turn Fisheye into a girl but referred to her as a "he" in a couple episodes and even showed "her" topless in a "sailor moon says" segment. Pretty funny. :)

I'm not talking of the same sex or the feminist dialogue, just talking about the horrible voice work that aged horribly since I saw it last on Toonami.

If I were to have edited it, I would have cut out anything that implied romance to avoid incestuous implications, basically turning Uranus' and Neptune's relationship into a sisterhood. Then, gender swaps through digital edits....why didn't they make Uranus male and change her costume for the fights?

It's Judgement Time!
I'm not talking of the same sex or the feminist dialogue, just talking about the horrible voice work that aged horribly since I saw it last on Toonami.

Speaking of which, I thought Uranus sounded an awful lot like Robo-Samus (other M samus) *shudder* I dont remember the Cloverway dub being that bad but oh my god... "those eyes..."

D

Dr Kain

Here's what I don't want out of my dub, I don't want just a straight up boring translation because when it comes down to it,

That defies the point of a dub. A dub is supposed to be the same dialog and story just in a different language for those who don't want to read subtitles and/or watch it in a language that is not their own. A dub should be faithful to what the creators intended otherwise it is no longer the creator's work. There is a reason Naoko was the one who chose the new English voices for the series. She wants her work and her story to actually be there.

What you are saying is that it is okay to take a movie like Alien and dub it in, say German, as a comedy movie and screw what Ridley Scott and Dan O'Bannon wanted out of it. Or adding Jay Z's crap music to Hitchcock's The Birds.

D

Dr Kain

Speaking of which, I thought Uranus sounded an awful lot like Robo-Samus (other M samus) *shudder* I dont remember the Cloverway dub being that bad but oh my god... "those eyes..."

:laugh::buttrock: