So, some of you might know that I was looking around for someone to do custom figure commisions. I decided to bite the bullet and try it myself - I'm pleased with how it came out, though I'm still trying to figure out how to add hair (or a wig) to a figure.

IMAG0637_zpsanrn0l2n.jpg

IMAG0639_zpsjfcypm38.jpg

I was playing around with the sharpie, but didn't actually use it. The whole Figuart Body-kun was painted with Testor's model acrylic paint. Once I figure out the hair, I may move on to John Stewart (which should be easier), or Jessica Cruz. I'd need a DX kit for Simon Baz.

What do you guys think? I was really excited at the possibilities for customizing Body kun and chan figures (and this will be so much easier when the black figures are out in October), but no one seems to have really caught my wave of "custom fever".

As I'm looking at the figure without hair, it kind of makes me think of "Green Lantern Saitama(One Punch Man)". Need some hair, bro!

Lurker
solid paint job man, very clean lines. I think you might try some flat varnish to take the shine off though. As far as hair, you could either give him a fade or try sculpy to make some hair I suppose. Also with the skin you might get some brown or sepia ink wash and then add a top coat of flesh tone to add depth.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about on an ogre I painted:https://www.instagram.com/p/uBLfkKS6zQ/?taken-by=punkrockmatt555

solid paint job man, very clean lines. I think you might try some flat varnish to take the shine off though. As far as hair, you could either give him a fade or try sculpy to make some hair I suppose. Also with the skin you might get some brown or sepia ink wash and then add a top coat of flesh tone to add depth.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about on an ogre I painted:https://www.instagram.com/p/uBLfkKS6zQ/?taken-by=punkrockmatt555

That ogre looks pretty well done! Here's a question, though - that technique with a wash/flesh tone - that seems in my head to be a lot easier on the ogre because of the skin surface. There's lots of little crevices for paint to gather to add shadows and dirt. How would you do that on a body-kun, since the face is pretty featureless? The only bit of texture are the ears and nose.

I actually tried to multi-layer the green setions - there was an initial silver layer to try and give that metallic shine. Didn't work out as well as I wanted to, since I needed to make the green heavier. I think it's definitely something I want to try and figure out.

Lurker
Yeah I've been thinking about that a bit. It would add only a little depth really, you might paint the head a medium brown, then top coat with a peach/flesh tone leaving a bit of brown around the eyes and maybe the cheek bone area, then ink wash the whole thing and top coat the nose and outer edge of the ears with the flesh tone again.

Truthfully I think your best bet would be to find a head from another figure that fits the body-kun's scale. You could always re-paint it so that you officially painted the whole figure. Also for the green you might try finding a metallic green and dry brushing the top of the muscles for the metallic look.

Yeah I've been thinking about that a bit. It would add only a little depth really, you might paint the head a medium brown, then top coat with a peach/flesh tone leaving a bit of brown around the eyes and maybe the cheek bone area, then ink wash the whole thing and top coat the nose and outer edge of the ears with the flesh tone again.

Truthfully I think your best bet would be to find a head from another figure that fits the body-kun's scale. You could always re-paint it so that you officially painted the whole figure. Also for the green you might try finding a metallic green and dry brushing the top of the muscles for the metallic look.

So, I'm back! (and I figured out my answer to the last problem: Modeling paste. It made for great hair. I've gotten better at using the stuff, so I thought I'd post something new I completed last night.
2fa2d636-9a64-4d65-8d5a-3d3e7a88761f_zpstbzieegj.jpg
DSC_0025_zpsrbmoyz6y.jpg