Rurouni Kenshin Live-action confirmed. Kenshin will be played by Sato Takeru

Lurker
I thought they were the same series, just Samurai X was renamed for US release. Is that incorrect?

Or is Samurai X the movies?

The series is known for the same thing. It was just used for it's motion picture and the 2 original video animations that came after!

Mad Skillz
There was a motion picture for Rurouni kenshin called Samurai X. The other 2 samurai X were ova's that came after. Samurai X Trust & Betrayal was set as a prequel to the Rurouni kenshin series! Reflection was set both during and after the TV series and manga
Trust and Betrayal are just very truncated versions of the Enshi arc from the manga and is as close as we've ever come to having them fully animated. "Samurai X" is just the original localized name that Sony tried to sell the series under, but could only get the movie out, though I believe the movie's Japanese title was Rurouni Kenshin Gekijou: Requiem for the Ishin Patriots or something like that?

But yeah, Samurai X = Rurouni Kenshin.

Lurker
Trust and Betrayal are just very truncated versions of the Enshi arc from the manga and is as close as we've ever come to having them fully animated. "Samurai X" is just the original localized name that Sony tried to sell the series under, but could only get the movie out, though I believe the movie's Japanese title was Rurouni Kenshin Gekijou: Requiem for the Ishin Patriots or something like that?

But yeah, Samurai X = Rurouni Kenshin.

Yupz

Nice post!!
In the US, that is true.

I've read some non-US foreign territories localized the entire franchise, anime and manga both, under the title Samurai X for whatever reason.

Peek a Boo!
About the Samurai X bit... just blame it on Sony who is responsible for all of this.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
Well, I suppose having the word "Samurai" in the title would make it easier for those who don't speak Japanese to have an idea of what the show will be about...

HEROW
^ Though, considering "Rurouni" to be more closely resembling that of a ronin rather than a samurai, since it stands for wandering samurai who have left their title because of regret of killing or burden of a lost loved-one.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
Yeah, but it'd be risky to assume that potential viewers would both know the term "Ronin" and that "Rurouni" is supposed to refer to it. I'll admit, I didn't know that until I looked it up after watching a couple episodes. "Kenshin" doesn't necessarily sound like a name, so the title could really mean anything.

But then, there have been lots of animes that didn't translate or rename the titles that worked just fine, so... *shrug*