Supaidaman!
Here's hopefully an easy one: I'm thinking of getting an Australian Wii (Pal), but want to be able to play Climax Heroes on it. How hard/easy is this to do? What risks are there when it comes to loading custom firmware or whatever?

Lurker
Here's hopefully an easy one: I'm thinking of getting an Australian Wii (Pal), but want to be able to play Climax Heroes on it. How hard/easy is this to do? What risks are there when it comes to loading custom firmware or whatever?

If you never done it before, to anything, its not going to be easy at all.

I am the law
If you mod your system, kiss your warranty goodbye. So if you **** up, you now have an expensive brick.

Also I believe Japan isn't on the PAL system, so more than likely it wouldn't work anyway.

Lurker
If you mod your system, kiss your warranty goodbye. So if you **** up, you now have an expensive brick.

Also I believe Japan isn't on the PAL system, so more than likely it wouldn't work anyway.

With the gamecube that didn't matter. NTSC game on PAL console will most likely still output a PAL signal.

And if it doesn't you can buy a RGB cable. RGB is RGB whether it's on a NTSC or PAL console.

I am the law
Thanks. I didn't remember if a NTSC game in a PAL system would output a PAL signal or not.

If your gonna mod it to play legitimate imports (aka if your actually gonna buy the game), it's easy. All you need to do is only install Hombrew Channel, and use Gecko OS to load your imports. If your actually using an iso, it gets a little complicated and involves installing a bunch of cIOSes.

Sadly, I don't have as much time as I used to; however, here's a site you can use for reference (Also shows you how to install HBC, and cIOSes if you choose to):

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/home

If your just gonna install HBC and buy the game, here's where you get Gecko OS:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko

Use at your own risk. As long as you make sure you've read and understood what your doing before you install anything, you'll be fine. Good luck dude. :D

Last edited:
softmod your wii, its pretty easy, ive done 5 now (all for free, im not out to take peoples money), if your going for the full over mod it took me about 3 hours the first time, was worth it tho, my wii is now such a bad ass I can watch movie file types on it (including OGM and MKV) so it kicks the 360 and ps3's ass.

its seriously the best thing ive ever done to a games console, I only did it to mine to play games which weren't released in the UK and for homebrew (im a sucker for snes and old bit image games :))

I can proberbly send you a link if your intrested in doing it, but pm me its not the sort of thing you want to be posting freely.

and for the record the Kamen Rider Climax Hero OOO game is really fun, one of the better toku games ive played (Kamen Rider: Seigi no Keifu for ps2 being my all time favorite and hurricanger for PS1)

Lurker
I've softmodded 3 Wiis. Really easy, just follow the tutorial (which is basically click/yes/no this and that and letting the program do the work. and check the date of the tutorial and see if it applies to your current firmware.) But I'm not sure about the NTSC to PAL thing, since my Wii was U NTSC.

The actual time spent on hacking the wii is short. If you dont run into any issues it's 1.5 hours tops. If you do, then you might end up spending alot of time troubleshooting like I did :x I think I ran into the issue of some cios refusing to install.

This site was my bible when I hacked mine. The stickied threads are the one to follow (find the one that applies to you). You have to read the information very carefully- follow it down to the period. If you do this your wii should be fine. Climax heroes played fine and USB loading from Wiiflow is very convenient. Can't wait for the next installment to see if they fix Accel...
http://www.wiihacks.com/

If your internet speed is good, rather than ripping your own iso honestly it's easier to just download the iso, as it's been 'peer reviewed' and have bugs sorted out.

And just an FYI, the wii output is NOT HD so playing MKV is inferior to a true media center like appleTV (720p) or WesternDigitalTV (1080p). I did really appreciate its capability to do so before I got my hdtv though. Watched lots of TV episodes on it with the wife.

And if you use the usb drive you'll connect to the wii for stuff other than games, doing an NTFS format is worth it.

Last edited: