Mazin...Go!
Uchu Keiji (Space Sheriff) genre "laws"

1) A particular show can have only one Uchu Keiji with a combat suit be prominent at a time. Other Uchu Keiji may show up, but they can't have combat suits. Exception: previous Uchu Keiji show stars MAY show up for special episodes (like Gavan showing up in the end to help Sharivan)

2) All final battles with monsters must take place in some weird dimension where the monsters have control over the laws of nature.

3) All Uchu Keiji bad guys must have their leader be huge and immobile, like stuck on a wall or something.

4) All Uchu Keiji bad guys must have weird looking creatures bumming around evil leader's throne room.

5) All Uchu Keiji shows must have the resident "nerd" Kojiro in the cast(a UFO fanatic in Gavan, later a pet shop owner in Shaider)

6) All Uchu Keijis must travel to the alternate dimension using their flying motorbikes.

7) All Uchu Keijis must have a group of kids hanging around them in their civilian identities. Aforementioned kids must always be nosy, be able to uncover villain plots, and need rescuing by the Uchu Keiji or their female assistant.

8) All Uchu Keijis must have female assistants for eye candy purposes. If the female assistant is actually useful in battle, eye candy may be provided to the audience using a short skirt.

9) All Uchu Keijis must have HUGE transformable motherships, a tank/jet hybrid and jeeps.

10) Uchu Keijis must always wear driving gloves and thick leather jackets in their civilian identities.

11) Uchu Keijis must either spend their free time driving around in their jeeps or hanging around with the kids in an appropriate venue like the pet shop or the stable.

12) Uchu Keiji's must always precede their transformation cries with very impractical yet visually entertaining hand jives.

13) Each time an Uchu Keiji transforms into his combat suit, the narrator must always narrate the event while watching the Uchu Keiji perform the hand jive again for our benefit.

14) The Uchu Keiji must always let himself be beaten up a lot by the monster in the alternate dimension before finally unleashing his sword. (although this is a corollary of superhero shows in general)

Will add more as I think of them

Mazin...Go!
Rule number 15, as per suggestion of Basri-san!

Michiaki Watanabe must compose the music and Akira Kushida must sing the title and ending songs.

Great Sage-Equal of Heaven
17.) Never forget the Pachira Ratio: The shorter the skirt, the larger the number of upskirt shots you need to have per episode.

Prism Flash!
Uchu Keiji transform into their combat suits in a ridiculously fast time which is less than 1 second!

8) All Uchu Keijis must have female assistants for eye candy purposes. If the female assistant is actually useful in battle, eye candy may be provided to the audience using a short skirt.
12) Uchu Keiji's must always precede their transformation cries with very impractical yet visually entertaining hand jives.

I think these are rules of thumb now for all toku :D

Mazin...Go!
I just thought of another one:

Uchu Keiji vehicles must always be of the "Suzuki" brand.

3) All Uchu Keiji bad guys must have their leader be huge and immobile, like stuck on a wall or something.

Actually I think its because they are vaguely based on Jabba the Hutt from Star wars (in case u dont know). I remember seeing the first Gavan episode, that huge thing had a female slave or whatever next to him. This reminded me of Leia when she was sitting next to Jabba. Not to mention the show had a lightsaber so I guess its a safe assumption.

Uchu Keiji transform into their combat suits in a ridiculously fast time which is less than 1 second!

0.05 secs. :)

Last edited: