Ruins of Symbaroum 5E Given June 7 Premiere Date

Staff member
About a year ago, Free League announced a new edition of Ruins of Symbaroum was on the way. Now we hear it’s nearly ready — the 5E edition has been officially announced for a June 7 release at hobby shops nationwide.
If you’ve played Symbaroum before, then you should have an idea of what to expect here…a 5E adaption of the endless hunt through the forests of Davokar. Will your party find treasure, fame or valuable knowledge? Or will they just get devoured by something? The 5E version will include three full-color hardback books – the Player’s Guide, the Game Master’s Guide, and the Bestiary — each depicted with lavish illustrations of Davorkar’s beauty and danger. The package also includes a Gamemaster’s screen bundled with a 26-page adventure booklet.
New Rules: To emphasize the dark fantasy nature of the setting, new rules for traveling and rests, social challenges, magic, and corruption are introduced. 
New Origins: Aside from familiar folks such as humans, elves...

Continue reading...

The biggest problem is that I wouldn't say I like levels and classes in 5e, but I'm glad they changed resting and spellcasting. I wonder how they have made the game less heroic? Dark fantasy is, for me, less courageous and more a struggle to survive. 5e is a superhero game and far from what I think fits this setting. Sure, I appreciate how they handled spells and the fact that you had to use your hit dice to clear corruption, but characters should be less powerful than in 5e.