Rocket Raccoon and Groot Spinoff Film Likely

Todd Black submitted a new blog post

Rocket Raccoon and Groot Spinoff Film Likely

groot-rocket-2-1200x900.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

I always feel like it's overdoing it when studios want to do stuff like this. Rocket and Groot are great supporting characters/team members/sidekicks, but that doesn't mean they can or should carry their own film(s).

It's like the talk of a Mad Max: Fury Road prequel starring Furiosa. She was a great character, but sometimes characters like that are lightning in a bottle best as a one-off, and continuing to milk it beyond its sell by date just because of their popularity is overkill.

I always feel like it's overdoing it when studios want to do stuff like this. Rocket and Groot are great supporting characters/team members/sidekicks, but that doesn't mean they can or should carry their own film(s).

It's like the talk of a Mad Max: Fury Road prequel starring Furiosa. She was a great character, but sometimes characters like that are lightning in a bottle best as a one-off, and continuing to milk it beyond its sell by date just because of their popularity is overkill.

I agree. Rocket Raccoon was interesting because of his interactions with the rest of the lineup, and I imagine a movie about Groot will get terribly stale after a while considering the only things he can say are "I am Groot". Spinoffs shouldn't be done on supporting characters.