わたし は ケモノ ライダ!
I've been curious about the Rider costumes when filming. Can the stunt actors see out of their helmets or are they blindly led by the director? Is it like those glasses that you can see out of but cant see into?

Mr. Kamen Rider
They can all theoretically see (you'd have to ask the stunt guys exactly how much they can actually see/breath/hear with those things on :laugh: ) The means by which this is achieved varies from Rider to Rider, some being simple eye holes while others are more sophisticated, like the one-way reflective stuff you mentioned.

if you have watched rider fashion check, it is a ***** to wear the helmets because 1) vision is sooo reduced, the black slit found in the middle of decade's face serves as the only passage of light meaning you can only see through this slit and 2) breathing is very hard, so it's all thumbs up for the suit actors for they can do the stunts nicely while trying to cope up with these hindrances

Last edited:
Ore, Sanjou!
yeah, each helmet has two versions: one for posing and panning shots, that has very limited vision, and another for action scenes, where the suit actor sees out of the eyes/visor of the suit

as i recall in Rider Fashion Check, there are two types of helmets used for Decade, one is an Up mask (aka Close Up mask), which is used for regular shots(talking, close-up scenes, etc.) the helmet has alot of detail and a little slit to see through and the action mask, which is used for well action scenes, the helmet is slightly less detailed, and the suit actors field of vision is greater by atleast 70% compared to the Up mask. well that's for decades mask anyway

Ore, Sanjou!
as i recall in Rider Fashion Check, there are two types of helmets used for Decade, one is an Up mask (aka Close Up mask), which is used for regular shots(talking, close-up scenes, etc.) the helmet has alot of detail and a little slit to see through and the action mask, which is used for well action scenes, the helmet is slightly less detailed, and the suit actors field of vision is greater by atleast 70% compared to the Up mask. well that's for decades mask anyway

your just re-iterating what I said

Lurker
The two mask theory makes sense. I think I heard a similar version about Sentai, where one helmet has a solid visor and one has holes drilled in it. Either way, the suit actors have my respect for not only doing those stunts, but for also actually acting in those suits and doing a decent job of imitating the human actors, especially those who go from one series to the next, like Hirofumi Fukuzawa who did characters like BoukenRed and ShinkenRed as well DekaRed and GekiRed.

Off-Topic: What is Rider Fashion Check?

優しさの大人少女
as my observation. the helmets of Riders makes difficult to see or hard to breathe too which is particularly hard can tell but, set an example like Decade's helmet the slid is cause problem since each Rider of visor unique than easily see like motorcycle helmet. to be honest, hard can tell.