D

Dr Kain

So I decided to rewatch Shinkenger last week as I haven't seen it since it first aired. Now, when it was airing, I had some really mixed thoughts on it, as the show just seemed to drag on and on with nothing going on. As such, I as unsure how many episodes I would be able to handle in a single viewing, so I planed to do five episodes a day, only to find myself having watched the first 16 on my first sitting. Being so, I managed to finish the series today along with having watched the summer movie (which was terrible, nothing more needs to be said) and Shinkenger Returns.

One of the things I did like about the show back in 2009 was its ranger cast. The cast is very strong and has great chemistry together. They have their serious moments, they have their goofy moments, but all around, they all work well together. Then comes Genta, who is nothing buy over the top goofy and he really drags the rest of the cast down. He is as bad as Wizard's Shunpei, but made worse because he is a ranger and gets sole focus on several episodes. While I will say this time around he did not get on my nerves as much, I still think he is the worst sixth ranger ever. Aside from that, the ranger suits are great, the tools they have at their disposal rock, and I really like the upgrade form in the second half. In fact, I wish red had worn that throughout the entire series, because it would have fit so well.

Now the villains, remain a mixed bag for me. First, their designs are top notch, so no complaints there. Doukoku, on the other hand, seems absolutely useless to me because he does absolutely NOTHING outside of 4 episodes in the entire show. The rest of the time he is either getting drunk, yelling, or sleeping. He is a serious contender with Warz Gil's father for the Worst Evil Ruler award. Dayuu, on the other hand, is pretty awesome, and I love her character story. In fact, I just love the fact that we actually get any sort of development with a villain in this show, as they seem to just be there. And that is why Juuzo is by far the best character in this show. His has a great deal of development, has a tragic back story (just like Dayuu), and he has great chemistry whenever he is on screen with either Dayuu or Takeru. I did not care for the actor in 555, but he does a fantastic job here. Even scene with him is golden whether it be his three way battle in the first portion of his show, his second battle with Takeru in 26, his killing of Akumaro, and of course, his climatic showdown with Takeru at the end. Speaking of Akumaro, he served absolutely no purpose in this show other than to slow everything down because episodes 28-38 are pretty much the low point for the show. I guess it was nice that he actually did more than Doukoku in the long run, but it sure did not feel like it. The show could have cut him out and it would have made no difference.

Sadly though, Akumaro and Genta are not the worst of the show, as that belongs to the mecha department. The mecha is just down right awful. I love the design of Shinken-Oh, and calling the mecha Origama makes sense. After that, I don't get how they are Origami because they don't fold up or anything at all. And all they do is make Shinken-Oh look clunky as hell to the point that his final form should have been called Clusterfuck-Oh, because that is exactly what it was. It was too big to do anything but stand there and be knocked back via CGI or use a bad CGI finishing movie. Not to mention I hated how every episode had to have a mech battle. I know these shows are made to sell toys, but come on, kids are not going to stop wanting to buy the toys if they don't see the mecha in one episode. I miss the days when shows could go for several episodes before they even obtain the combined form, and then have episodes sprinkled throughout that don't require it, and instead, focus on plot.

Speaking of plot, they hinted at Takeru being a kagemusha since the very beginning of the series. It was so obvious I am surprised none of us realized this ahead of time. You had the episode with the monster that insults people, who called Takeru and liar and that he was hiding something. Then you had his refusal to give up the seal when he was poisoned and his conversation with Juuzo that followed that. The signs were all there from the beginning, which I felt really helped strengthen this show the second time around.

In the end, the show is actually a pretty damn good show despite its flaws and low points. I can now see why people praise it, but at the same time, I still do not think it is the greatest Sentai series ever. While this show still will not hit my top 10 list, it has definitely moved up several notches from what it was before. Overall, I give Shinkenger a 7/10 stars.

Oh yeah, Shinkenger Returns... sucked. When Returns is in front of something, and it is said to be a sequel to the series, you expect it to feature a reunion of the characters or something. Instead, it felt like a standard 22 minute episode stretched out to 50 minutes just because they had to justify it being an individual DVD release. The worst part is, I normally love these dimensional illusion episodes, but this was just boring to watch for some reason. It also did not help that it just started with some random nonsense to the point I was about to turn it off during the cops portion of it, and really wanted to turn it off during the Mako concert crap.

Anyway, that is it from me. Tomorrow, I start Power Rangers Samurai.

I'm in complete agreement with you!

That said, I think it's a great entry-level show. Because it's good enough to be mind-blowing to a newbie -- but not so good that the newbie would be disappointed by every sentai show (s)he watches after it.

I think a lot of people hold Shinkenger in high esteem because it was their gateway sentai.

Last edited:
Minato Ascending
I like Shinkenger quite a bit, but I also realized that it's a flawed series and many points that Dr. Kain brought up about the weaknesses of Shinkenger are valid. I think the great cast had a lot to do with my enjoyment of the series, but the incompetent villains and the long, drawn out plot makes it hard for me to sit through another viewing. If they could've tighten the plot and made Doukoku not such a bored, drunken fool, and actually had a role like Chaos does in the current Kyoryuger series, I think Shinkenger would've been much better.

Kamen Rider Beserker
I honestly don't think that Genta was the worst sixth ranger or character, sure he was over the top but (to me at least) after the first couple of episodes with him in I got used to him and started to like him a lot and when compared to Antonio and his overuse of the words gold and golden to me he seemed to have some of the worse aspects of Genta and made them more prominent.

I don't do sense
Oh yeah, Shinkenger Returns... sucked. When Returns is in front of something, and it is said to be a sequel to the series, you expect it to feature a reunion of the characters or something. Instead, it felt like a standard 22 minute episode stretched out to 50 minutes just because they had to justify it being an individual DVD release. The worst part is, I normally love these dimensional illusion episodes, but this was just boring to watch for some reason. It also did not help that it just started with some random nonsense to the point I was about to turn it off during the cops portion of it, and really wanted to turn it off during the Mako concert crap.
I will fight you.

D

Dr Kain

I honestly don't think that Genta was the worst sixth ranger or character, sure he was over the top but (to me at least) after the first couple of episodes with him in I got used to him and started to like him a lot and when compared to Antonio and his overuse of the words gold and golden to me he seemed to have some of the worse aspects of Genta and made them more prominent.

Well I watched Samurai for the first time today and I don't really like Antonio either. However, he does not seem like he forgot to take his meds every episode.

I liked Shinkenger when I watched it, but after I finished it, I had this bad aftertaste.

The show suffers from Sailor Moon Syndrome. All the filler episodes are the same, the Monsters-of-the-Week are forgettable in character and in design, and everytime something big happens, the show jumps back into cut-and-paste filler next episode.

When Xandred/"whatever his Sentai name was" trashed all six rangers around episode 35-something, the show should've taken a turn towards becoming story-heavy. Instead, more filler afterwards.

Also, the main villains had no presence in the show, nor did they really create any sense of tension or dread, which seems to be standard nowadays.

Some of the music was really amazing, and steps above most Sentai music, especially that version of Shinken-Oh's theme that plays in the early episodes before they started using that stupid vocal version.

Not to mention I hated how every episode had to have a mech battle. I know these shows are made to sell toys, but come on, kids are not going to stop wanting to buy the toys if they don't see the mecha in one episode.

Shinkenger wrote itself into a corner when it gave the monsters two lives. That was a very unfortunate idea.

D

Dr Kain

When Xandred/"whatever his Sentai name was" trashed all six rangers around episode 35-something, the show should've taken a turn towards becoming story-heavy. Instead, more filler afterwards.

Uh... that was episode 40 and there really was no more filler after that point. You had the end of Akumaro, the intro of Kaoru, the defeat of Juuzo, and the defeat of Doukoku all in the string of episodes that followed.