I am the law
Okay...I did this review of Kamen Rider Blade for the PS2 on Japan Hero back in the begining of December....and I thought what the hell, I'll throw it up here in case anyone missed it.

Originally posted at Japan Hero on Dec. 11, 2004

I just got this game today (along w/ a PS2 mod so I could play the thing) and I'm pretty excited about it. So I thought I'd write a little review of the game.
And forgive me if the review sucks, and I'm also going to steal the format on game reviews from the JH site :p

Kamen Rider Blade
By Rider Faiz
System: Playstation 2
Developer: Bandai

Introduction

Take control of Kamen Riders Blade, Garren, Chalice, Leange, as well as many of the Undead in the fight to control the Earth. Do you have what it takes to seal the Undead again and fight your way to the top?

Review

Gameplay
This game, like Kamen Rider 555 (released last year on the PS2), is a fighting game. And where as 555 felt a little stiff in the gameplay department, Blade strikes like lightening (excuse the pun).
With only one button to press to execute combo moves and another to use a Rouse Card, even someone who has never played a fighting game in their life, can pick up Blade and begin to seal Undead with the best of them.

Starting out, you have a choice of the three riders, Blade, Garren, and Chalice. Leangle is unlocked after finishing all three of the characters modes. You start out with basic Rouse Cards already in your inventory (pretty much what each character started out with in the series), and then you do battle with Undeads in your suit, sealing them after each fight and adding them to your Rouse Card Collection. Each card you add, gives you another power to use when fighting, and another finisher combo too. Each charater also has a desperation move. When your health gets low, you can summon your bike, jump into the air and attack your opponent.

But wait you ask, is there any way to block a desperation, or final move? Why yes there is! Before a desperation move or final move is done, you have a choice of pressing one of the X, Circle, Triangle, or Square buttons. Your opponent will then have to try and guess what you picked and press the same button (at least that’s as well as I understand it, not being able to read any Japanese). If you are successful, your desperation or final move will hit the target. If your opponent is successful, they will dodge out of the way.

Graphics
From the beautiful full motion CGI opening to each character model during the gameplay, this game looks good. Sure it might not look as perfect as most big budget games out today, but Blade looks as close to the show as you can get. Also, just like in the 555 game, the backgrounds areas are still photos taken from the real places. So it feels like you’re fighting in the exact same locations as the show!
Sounds and music are also taken straight from the series.

Game Modes
Seal Mode-
Starting with either Blade, Garren, or Chalice, this game mode does EXACTLY what it sounds like. You fight your way though seven opponents, sealing the Undead along the way.

Free Battle Mode-
This is where you can pick any character, Rider or Undead, that you have unlocked and fight another character (of your choosing) in a 3 round contest. And that’s all there is to it.

1P Mode-
Again, picking any character, the computer will pick your opponent, you have unlocked you play though a single player contest, fighting 5 battles.

2P Mode-
This is straight up fighting between you and a friend. Each person picks a character and then have at it in a 3 round contest.

Zoom de Bingo-
After every fight you have had, you earn ponts that you can then spend playing this game trying to earn bonus pictures (scenes from the show and such). This Mode works as a matching game of sorts. There is a picture (although SUPER zoomed in) in the middle of the screen, and as the seconds tic away (you start with 30 secs) the picture zooms out. As soon as you know what the picture is, you select the corrisponding picture or character from the five choices you are given on the right hand side of the screen. For every right answer, some more points are awarded as well as a picture. For every wrong answer though, points are taken away.

Gallery-
And this mode is exactly what it sounds like. It’s where you can see all the Rouse Cards (sealed Undead and common cards from the toys) and any pictures you have unlocked playing Bingo.

Options-
Self explanitory.

End Credits-
Unlocked after you unlock Leangle, and beat his Seal Mode.

Conclusion

After playing this game for a few hours I can say, while not overly hard, this game is a LOT of fun. Especially if you are a big fan of Blade. With the ability to use special attacks at any point in the game play, using different Rouse Card combos to preform final moves, and unlockable characters, Kamen Rider Blade is a game that every fan of the series should own.

So grab your Buckle, your Change Ace card, shout “HENSHIN†and ‘Turn Up’, ‘Open Up’, or ‘Change’ into Kamen Rider and fight for humanity.

-RF

Early screen shots of the game
Bladescreens.jpg
Bladescreens6.jpg

Bladescreens5.jpg
Bladescreens4.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are t3h win.

Review Justice on the way... these'll come in handy once I have a front page all set up. Thanks! :)

Eye See You
I would love to get that game.

I just wish they would have more side scrolling rider games with actual storylines.

I'm still dissapointe with the gameplay provided...but still better than 555 though :ph34r:

I guess you gotta be a real fan to appreciate it. I myself am not into this series of riders. But I'm a sucker for a fighting game, so I guess I'l be picking it up soon.

Faiz, you the one with the mask in your sig? Where'd you get that mask?

I am the law
Gurlgamer said:
I guess you gotta be a real fan to appreciate it. I myself am not into this series of riders. But I'm a sucker for a fighting game, so I guess I'l be picking it up soon.

Faiz, you the one with the mask in your sig? Where'd you get that mask?
Yeah...you really do gotta be a fan of the series. As a fighting game on it's own, I've played WAAAAAY better. Hell, the original Street Fighter II or even Mortal Kombat is a more involved fighting game.
But with that said, there is just something cool about controling your favorite Rider from the series, and woopin some ass. And THEN doing a card combo to finish him off.

Takumi said:
Beat the game in an hour, not much replay value for me.
I think it was about the same for me. Although I do think Blade took a little longer for me to beat than Faiz did. Then the fun was unlocking the rest of the characters, and the cards.

Oh...and I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the review or not. But the Opening CGI is pretty cool as well!

-RF

Mr. Kamen Rider
I got this a few weeks ago and I'd say it's the third or fourth best of the Rider fighting games. It didn't take very long to complete, but it felt more fulfilling than the Faiz game. I still think they should wait until the shows are over to make the games, so they can have more in them- the final enemies, etc. That's why I think the original Kamen Rider & V3 games, despite being the oldest, had more going for them- they feel more complete, have more secrets and replay to them. I'm still finding new stuff in the V3 game after all these years.

There was a side-scrolling Rider 1 & 2 game for Super Famicom way back when, and when it comes to storyline, nothing beats Kamen Rider: Genealogy of Justice. Best Rider game yet, IMHO.

I am the law
OOoh! Do a review on Genealogy of Justice! I've been curious about that game.

-RF

Ever here of Super Hero Retsuden?

It's got classic Kamen Riders and Go Rangers in it, teaming up to fight a bunch of classic monsters.

It was really fun, simple as hell, but it made you smile everytime you busted out a special attack.

Got it for my Dreamcast. :)