I liked him when he wasn't a god
And like I said, I know the metaphor of the all vs. 1 fight, but it still IS technically ganging up. The idea slightly disturbs me (even though I'm used to it) because there is a better way to show teamwork.

By that logic, kids shouldn't be exposed to (for instance) images of a whole bunch of police taking on a single armed criminal or something. They're just ganging up on the perpetrator!

Why do we need any TV show at all?

They're sister shows with a different focus (Sentai features a team of ostensibly equal heroes; Kamen Rider features a lone hero who is assisted by his supporting cast, but while their contribution is important, he will always save the day and be the star.) You seem to believe that the ideal Sentai series operates like a Kamen Rider show; so there's no reason to have both

By that logic, kids shouldn't be exposed to (for instance) images of a whole bunch of police taking on a single armed criminal or something. They're just ganging up on the perpetrator!

Actually, some people would call that use of excessive force and condemn it as police brutality. I don't. But I'd still rather kids see that there's a better way than physically overpowering someone with sheer numbers. Typically, that's the villain's MO.

They're sister shows with a different focus (Sentai features a team of ostensibly equal heroes; Kamen Rider features a lone hero who is assisted by his supporting cast, but while their contribution is important, he will always save the day and be the star.) You seem to believe that the ideal Sentai series operates like a Kamen Rider show; so there's no reason to have both

Kamen Rider is not really known for being assisted by a superpowered supporting cast with great teamwork (a lot of times, it's incredibly sloppy in fact). I mean, sure, it's part of the story most of the time, but that's not the first thing you think of when you think of Kamen Rider.

Regardless, you're building a strawman. I never implied anything about what an ideal Sentai or Rider show is. I think Sentai shows should showcase teamwork, and Kyoryu did that. Nothing else.

Actually, some people would call that use of excessive force and condemn it as police brutality. I don't. But I'd still rather kids see that there's a better way than physically overpowering someone with sheer numbers.

And I'd rather kids not be taught that a team is one where one person is just different and special and better, and the best the others can hope for is helping that person on their way to greatness.

Although I personally think Sentai should not be ashamed of portraying itself as a battle of good (heroes) vs evil (villains.) That's the principle of the show. It isn't a debate where both sides bring an equal amount to the table and the audience decides who's right ... which is why I have a major issue with the Gritta and Schwarz storyline in ToQger.

Kamen Rider is not really known for being assisted by a supporting cast with great teamwork (a lot of times, it's incredibly sloppy in fact). I mean, sure, it's part of the story most of the time, but that's not the first thing you think of when you think of Kamen Rider.

Regardless, you're building a strawman. I never implied anything about what an ideal Sentai or Rider show is. I think Sentai shows should showcase teamwork, and Kyoryu did that. Nothing else.

No, it's not known for that, which is what separates it from Sentai. That's why, in my opinion, Sentai teams should be equal (which includes everyone fighting together and sharing an equal role; not playing supporting cast to a main hero, as Kamen Rider does)

And I'd rather kids not be taught that a team is one where one person is just different and special and better, and the best the others can hope for is helping that person on their way to greatness.

Meh, the reality is though, it's really true. There'll always be outstanding people, and it's okay as long as he/she's not an arrogant jerk who thinks he/she's entitled to everything. And he/she can never do it alone. You can either strive to be him/her, but if you're just one of the rest, there's no reason to feel bad about it.

No, it's not known for that, which is what separates it from Sentai. That's why, in my opinion, Sentai teams should be equal (which includes everyone fighting together and sharing an equal role; not playing supporting cast to a main hero, as Kamen Rider does)

I just don't believe everyone fighting together is the best way to showcase teamwork. It would be nice that Sentai doesn't limit itself to that.

Meh, the reality is though, it's really true. There'll always be outstanding people, and it's okay as long as he/she's not an arrogant jerk who thinks he/she's entitled to everything. And he/she can never do it alone. You can either strive to be him/her, but if you're just one of the rest, there's no reason to feel bad about it.

I find that an incredibly defeatist attitude and I'd rather not teach children that some people are just special and naturally better than them and there's nothing more that child can achieve (nor that they owe anything to such a person; if someone's so outstanding, leave 'em on their own, imo) But that's just me

I just don't believe everyone fighting together is the best way to showcase teamwork. It would be nice that Sentai doesn't limit itself to that.

Fair enough

I find that an incredibly defeatist attitude and I'd rather not teach children that some people are just special and naturally better than them and there's nothing more that child can achieve (nor that they owe anything to such a person; if someone's so outstanding, leave 'em on their own, imo) But that's just me

Is it defeatist? It's a personal lesson I've learned through the years, so I don't really think it is.

Lemme just say that there are some people who will be really good at what they do, even though they don't try very hard at it or may not even want it at all. Not being that person is okay and he/she would be nothing alone. And his/her existence doesn't mean that you're not appreciated.

The new Tendou Souji
Now, when we're given the martial artists in Gekiranger [..] defeating the final enemy one-on-one flows more into the theme.

[hide]Long wasn't defeated one-on-one, though? Jan, Retsu and Ran worked together to seal him.[/hide]

Last edited:
And I'd rather kids not be taught that a team is one where one person is just different and special and better

But...that's how Sentai works. The Red is pretty much always shown to be better than the others. I can't think of a show where they're all treated as equals.
Even in series where the Red doesn't do a lot to justify his position - like Hiromu in Go-Busters - the other characters would often go out of their way to say he was a prodigy, a genius and all that.

But...that's how Sentai works. The Red is pretty much always shown to be better than the others. I can't think of a show where they're all treated as equals.
Even in series where the Red doesn't do a lot to justify his position - like Hiromu in Go-Busters - the other characters would often go out of their way to say he was a prodigy, a genius and all that.

Unfortunately yes but still, most teams do not take it as far as Kyoryuger did (or if we're looking for non-Kyoryu examples, the worst would probably be Power Rangers Mystic Force)

[hide]Long wasn't defeated one-on-one, though? Jan, Retsu and Ran worked together to seal him.[/hide]

But

[hide]Jan was the only one who could defeat Rio (excluding everyone else) and the "main" three were the only ones who could defeat Long (making GekiViolet/Chopper essentially redundant.) It's still suggesting to some extent that the whole team is not really important nor necessary.[/hide]