Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
I never saw a recommendation thread and it does not seem to be against the rules....

Basically an "ask for recommendation" topic for super sentai. To kick off the topic anyone interested in recommending me something? I have very little idea what I am doing so I'll answer some tedious questions in advance.

"What do you know about super sentai?"
I've seen Super Hero Wars and the Gavan/Gokaiger crossover movie. I also watched both halves of Akibarangers and enjoyed them for their silliness.

"Can't you just start one of the new stuff like Kyoranger?"
But it would feel weird starting with the latest entries especially while airing. I would feel so left out.

"Is age an issue for you?"
NEVER!
"Chill, I just asked."

"What are you looking for in a sentai?"
Not sure myself, preferably something basic. I thought of going through one of the original nine (Gorenger to Changeman) where they have no to one mecha and it seems easy. On the other hand the modern sentai do not have that in common and I want to know where to start.

"Can't you just ask /m/?"
Too many opinions! Also most of them just say Sun Vulcan (is it that awesome?) or Jetman (see.... the last one). Besides forums are made for discussions like this.... right?

"Are subs an issue?"
I'd prefer to know what the hell is going on, but not necessarily.

"Do you mind sixth rangers?"
No clue.

"What kind of tone do you prefer?"
No idea, I'll enjoy anything if executed properly.

"Any issues on movies?"
I would like to know for the earlier sentai movies which ones are just edited episodes and which are actual movies. This applies strictly to the 80s series, I know the ones for Gorenger and JAKQ.

"Care to give tastes in tokusatsu?"
Okay!

How I rank various Kamen Rider major entries:
Skyrider > OOO > Amazon > Black RX > Black > Decade > Fourze > J > ZO > ZX > Agito > Kuuga > V3 > 555 > Ryuki > W > Hibiki > Blade > Shin > G > SD > Kabuto > The First > The Next
How I rank various Ultra major entries:
Dyna > Gaia > Nexus > Jack > Mebius > Tiga > Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending Odyssey > Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle > Powered > 80 > Ultraman > Max > Leo > Great > Neos > Taro > Ace > Ultra Seven > Cosmos > USA > Ultra Seven X > Ultra Q > Ultra Zero Fight > Nice
How I rank various other tokusatsu series:
Space Sheriff Sharivan > Inazuman Flash > Space Sheriff Gavan > Android Kikaider > Extraordinary Zubat > Giant Robo > Garo: Makai Senki > Inazuman > Super Robot Red Baron > Unofficial Squad Akibaranger Season Pain > Garo > Iron King > Kikaider 01 > Unofficial Squad Akibaranger > Bio Planet WoO

"You like monsters and mecha?"
I like both, I even see mechs as a type of monster.

"What do you look for in characters?"
For this? No clue, I have a very open mind. Plus I can never tell good acting from bad unless an actor stutters his lines.:p

"Can't you just start anywhere?"
I got into Kamen Rider starting with Decade, you tell me.:thumbs:

"Do you care who writes/directs/produces/general on staff?"
Not a bit, I never bother looking at credits on anything, let alone a language I cannot read.

"Do you care if one member hogs the screen time?"
Probably, not sure really.

"Do you like your villains with humanity or pure evil?"
Preferably pure evil but I could go with either.

"Does tone shifting bother you?"
Kind of I guess, not really sure.

"Do you prefer plot or filler?"
I can go with either.

"Captain Shark, go away and watch Shark Week or something!"
Okay.:disappoin

Hey, I have some recommendations:

-J.A.K.Q Dengekitai: Why? It's the shortest Sentai series and a very formulaic one. Simple and easy, (considering it was the second Sentai series). Anyway it's a good taste of Ishinomori era Sentai without having to watch all 84 episodes of Gorenger. No mechs, so it's a simple one there, just not one of the strongest.

-Chojin Sentai Jetman: Lots of drama. The love story adds another dimension to the characters of Jetman, as it creates inner conflict between them. The villains are also a little more complex than previous series, having their own motives and stepping on the other commanders to achieve them. Also, the major story arcs in Jetman are just fantastic, really pushing the story and developing the characters extremely well. And we can't forget Gai: though he is a dick, he's a likeable one.

-Kyukyu Sentai GoGoV: I grew up with this one. The mechs are really awesome (there's 4 of them) and the characters (whom are all family) are gimmicky and fun. The series is mostly all filler, but the interactions more than make up for it. The villains are also a nice parallel to the GoGoV members, being a dysfunctional family and all.

-Mirai Sentai Timeranger: Fairly darker than the series' before it, Timeranger has a pretty mature plotline with some interesting and believable characters, as well as really awesome giant mecha battles. I grew up with it, and I still love it today.

-Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger: Very character driven, the best part of Dekaranger is watching how every character grows from beginning to end. Every single one has a little quirky gimmick that sets them apart from the rest. The space police theme is done well, and it also has one of the most badass Sentai characters of all - Doggie Kruger. The series is worth it for Doggie alone! :D Though if you like awesome villains and over-arching plotline, this might not be for you.

-Juken Sentai Gekiranger: Awesome plotline, fun characters and an awesome theme (I recommend this or Dairanger if you like Chinese Martial arts). The story development is rapid and there is a lot of focus on the main villains, who are very interesting and I believe to be some of the best in Sentai. Anyway, from beginning to end, Gekiranger is a treat to watch. Some of the best pacing for sure.

-Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: Well, if you got into Kamen Rider from Decade, Gokaiger can probably do the same for you. :) It's an anniversary series, and you may find yourself watching other Sentai series if a certain tribute episode interests you. As a series itself, the characters are pretty popular (though I wasn't too big a fan) and the action is great, so why not?

As far as fan favourites go, I hear a lot of people love Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan, Choujuu Sentai Liveman, Gosei Sentai Dairanger, Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger, Mahou Sentai Magiranger, and Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. There's a good mix of old-school and modern there, so you might want to consider taking a look at those too.

Hope you enjoy Sentai!

-Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: Well, if you got into Kamen Rider from Decade, Gokaiger can probably do the same for you. :) It's an anniversary series, and you may find yourself watching other Sentai series if a certain tribute episode interests you. As a series itself, the characters are pretty popular (though I wasn't too big a fan) and the action is great, so why not?

I second this. Unlike Decade, Gokaiger is pretty good on its own, and some of its tribute episodes are good introductions for earlier series. Also no AU hijinks like Decade and the characters that do reappear are still basically in-character.

Of course it may pose the problem of spoiling the ending, but I found it not too bad.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I second Deka, it's often recommended as a good choice for people new to Sentai and I can see the reasoning for that. If nothing else, it had a lot of influence on the subsequent seasons and in some ways sets the tone for many of them.

I would also recommend Shinkenger or Go-Busters if you liked OOO so much. The writer tends to repeat certain themes and character types a lot, especially in her recent work

I suggest anything from Changeman to Gaoranger, Gekiranger, Gokaiger and Go-Busters.

But for the cream of the crop: Flashman, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger, GoGoV and Timeranger.

I suggest anything from Changeman to Gaoranger, Gekiranger, Gokaiger and Go-Busters.

But for the cream of the crop: Flashman, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger, GoGoV and Timeranger.

"Jetman," "Dairanger," and "Timeranger" are great for a more serious tone. You really feel the stories evolve with the characters in all three of those shows.
"Kakuranger" and "Carranger" are two of my personal favorites by their watchability factor. They are so bizarre, so out-of-tune with every season around them, that they are just a lot of fun to watch.

Mad Skillz
Sticking strict to subbed shows...

Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger: It's silly and bizarre. The characters don't have a ton of depth, but it's a show that runs with its visual and thematic elements, mostly revolving around fairy tales, folk lore, and J-RPGs. The Power Rangers connection aside, it's actually a really well made show. It's one of those shows that lacks in one area and yet manages to get everything else right.

Ninja Sentai Kakuranger: It's not entirely done being subbed just yet, but the episodes are released at a steady pace with a little over half the series already done. It's such a fun and crazy show in its first half with its ninja antics. The show can actually fool people into thinking it doesn't have a lot going for it, but it's a pretty cool series that integrates so much social commentary into itself. It's basically tackling the idea that the changing social standards can decay the newest generation, on both the heroic and villainous side. Also, really really good action. (its also done by the same writer who did Zyuranger, who actually worked straight from Zyuranger to Ohranger)

Mahou Sentai Magiranger: It's a little campy, but I feel it was able to produce one of the best stories in a modern Sentai. The Rangers are a family, so you get an interesting dynamic between them that you don't see every year.

I think jumping into Kyoryuger would be a great idea as well. It's not perfect, but I've been having such a blast with the show. It's a wonderful blend of the silly and serious and rarely meanders like you might expect from other shows. It's a show brimming with energy that you can't help loving and wanting more of week after week.

Some of my favorite shows aren't subbed, so I probably won't recommend any of those because, ideally, you want to understand the major plot lines.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Oh man, the variety to choose from! (why do we have no dizzy smilie?) Anyone have interesting choices in terms of monsters of the week and mechs? Because I am the guy that lists and types info on monsters of the week on anime and toku articles on wikipedia and they are my favorite parts in stuff like this. No idea on mechs, although since they actually have names and do things I am open to anything.:thumbs:

Oh man, the variety to choose from! (why do we have no dizzy smilie?) Anyone have interesting choices in terms of monsters of the week and mechs? Because I am the guy that lists and types info on monsters of the week on anime and toku articles on wikipedia and they are my favorite parts in stuff like this. No idea on mechs, although since they actually have names and do things I am open to anything.:thumbs:

A couple of suggestions on that point:

Gekiranger has MOTWs and allies who represent Kung Fu stars or characters in Kung Fu movies.
Kakuranger has MOTWs which represent youkai (Japanese evil spirits) like Kappa, Tsuchigumo, etc. Some are even introduced with a traditional Japanese painting showing the youkai's rendition.