Owner of the "Queen" Memory
Eh. I think there's a lot of movies where you can go see a white kid as a protagonist. There's nothing wrong with a white kid as a protagonist BUT I think Avatar would have been a very genuine opportunity for something different.

Also while Ang may look white in terms of design just like how some anime characters may look white it's not really likely that is what he's intended to be. My feeling from watching the show is that he's based on Asians in Tibet. I don't see any real need to cast a white kid for that role.

I agree with this highly.

I'm still going to go see it, however, i do think it would've been a great chance for many actors of other ethnicities to get a big break. Plus I know of a lot of younger asian kids, through family friends, and they were kind of upset about it. A lot of other ethnicity kids looked up to the Avatar characters so they were a little upset that it was different. My friend's daughter said it wasn't HER Avatar, which I can understand.

Nice post!!
Yeah, I 100% don't buy any kind of "not enough Asian/Inuit/etc" actors excuse. Sondheim managed to put on productions of Pacific Overture in the 60s, and that musical calls for a full cast of theatrically-trained Asian actors of both genders who are also fully-capable operatic singers.

I don't think the Asian actors have, like, disappeared since then? It's the 21st century. If you want hordes of Asian or Hispanic or whatever actors, you will find absolutely no shortage of them if you make the opportunity available. Avatar's production company clearly just didn't make the opportunity available.

二番目の翻訳者
Actually, Pacific Overtures only calls for male actors, except the very last song. (Until Japan 'modernizes', men play both roles)</SondheimFangirl>

Anyway, the big trouble with the 'colorblind' casting method is that it leaves movies really vulnerable to the subconscious racism that permeates our society on all levels. There's a really famous study done in the 60s and again more recently that asks little black girls to choose between blonde caucasian dolls and black dolls, and even today, the girls overwhelmingly choose the white dolls.

The point is, even when people say that they're casting regardless of race, they are still informed by the society they grew up in -- and right now, our society says, almost overwhelmingly, that white people are heroes, black people are subservient/supporting characters, and Asians are nerds. There are exceptions to this, of course, but these are the broad stereotypes that inform casting.

So this is why it's really disappointing that a show that cast dark-skinned people as heroes and light-skinned people as villains is being adapted into a movie where the reverse is true. It's not an unforgivable sin; after all, it's pretty typical. But the fact that it's typical is exactly what's wrong: what could have been a chance to shift those stereotypes a little bit just ends up reinforcing them.

(This is also exactly how you get a show like Firefly, set in a universe where Chinese is the dominant culture, but there are no Asians at all. Anywhere. Color-blind casting, hooray!)

Anyway on the positive side, given that the movie stands a good chance of flopping, at least Hollywood won't have yet another chance to say "it failed because it had a minority lead." (They can just blame Shyamalan instead!)

Nice post!!
Actually, Pacific Overtures only calls for male actors, except the very last song. (Until Japan 'modernizes', men play both roles)</SondheimFangirl>

Damn, I could've sworn there was an all-female number in there at one point....

二番目の翻訳者
Damn, I could've sworn there was an all-female number in there at one point....

There is, but the geishas are all played by men. :)

Anyway, Pacific Overtures also had a revival in the 2000s, starring B.D. Wong in the role (ironically) originally created by Mako! So yeah, there's really no reason to think there wasn't a huge pool of highly-skilled Asian actors they could've drawn on.

Peek a Boo!
Ohmygawd yes! love this episode.

Same here. I love that episode! Bhumi, FTW!

Bhumi said:
Lettuce leaf?

The only thing the series didn't answer is who the hell is Kuzon aside from the fact that he is Aang's friend?

@ Topic: If there are talented Asian actors who can speak good English then I am against Race Bending.

Raxbait: Hip
Anyway on the positive side, given that the movie stands a good chance of flopping, at least Hollywood won't have yet another chance to say "it failed because it had a minority lead." (They can just blame Shyamalan instead!)

I think its the opposite, I think this movie wouldnt flop if anything, a moderate succes perhaps?
From where I'm at, you'd be surprise how many people actually want to see this movie.

What is love? Baby don't hurt me
I think its the opposite, I think this movie wouldnt flop if anything, a moderate succes perhaps?
From where I'm at, you'd be surprise how many people actually want to see this movie.

most people want to watch this movie for two reasons:

1. it's the Avatar that they know (not James Cameron's Avatar).
2. it's new. :p