Question: Does Marvel still hold any copyright on Super Sentai?

HenshinCaster
We know Marvel still owns the Toei-produced Spider-Man show since they have episodes available on their website and the fact that Spider-Man is their character. But does Marvel still own anything on the other shows they co-produced with Toei, the Super Sentai series Battle Fever J and Denziman/Sun Vulcan? And if so, does that mean that any derivative works, like comic books, could be made featuring the characters?

Shyni
I think if Marvel wanted to make Battle Fever comics, they'll still need to ask Toei since it's still a part of Super Sentai, even if they have some degree of ownership to that specific series..

Why would Marvel own anything relating to Sentai?

Marvel at least used to own the copyright for Battle Fever J, Densho Sentai Denziman, and Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan. Whether they still do, I don't know, but they did in the eighties.

The reason why is essentially because Battle Fever J was a joint production with Marvel, just like Toei's Spiderman show (and intended as a Captain America adaptation, at least at first).

Why would Marvel own anything relating to Sentai?
Toei worked with Marvel on the Japanese Spiderman series, and then they started working together on a Japanese TV show loosely based on Captain America (Captain Japan?!). As work continued they started bringing in other characters representing other countries and somehow ended up with Battle Fever J. It was a co-production that (at least on paper) was based on Marvel source material, so Toei and Marvel co-owned it. The copyright information in the credits for the next two series also included Marvel's name, but it isn't thought that they actually had any involvement in it. It was just that they had a three series co-production contract (Spiderman, Fever, Denji) and because Sun Vulcan was a sequel to Denjiman they thew the same copyright info on.

IIRC when Gokaiger was airing somebody who could read Japanese said that Marvel were mentioned in the copyright info, in the same way that Ishimori Pro was mentioned due to Goranger and JAKQ being co-productions with them. I would really doubt that Marvel/Disney have any continuing interest in those three shows though.

HenshinCaster
I just think it would be really interesting to use those shows as the basis for new comic stuff. You could have the Battle Fever team be a group of people from around the world all powered by a new Super Soldier serum or something.

Irregular Hunter
Toei worked with Marvel on the Japanese Spiderman series, and then they started working together on a Japanese TV show loosely based on Captain America (Captain Japan?!).

I never heard anything on that, did it ever come out?
The Captain Japan thing that is.

Last edited:
I never heard anything on that, did it ever come out?
The Captain Japan thing that is.
They renamed him Battle Japan and he became the red ranger for Battle Fever J. Nothing else came of it though AFAIK. The Power Rangers wikia reckons that Queen Hedrian (from Denjiman and Sun Vulcan) is based on the Thor villainess Hela, but that seems to me more like someone spotting vague similarities and calling them links rather than anything concrete.

In terms of the Marvel/Toei connection, I'd rather see Spidey pilot Leopardon in a new Spider-Man film.