"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
Well, I have been a little picky about some of thing that people would like and dislike about the modern-day Sentai and Kamen Rider. But on a stroke of curiosity, I am getting a little concern. So, I have decided to ask anyone about the pros and cons that they have on the modern-day Sentai and Kamen Rider.

Fill free to list them down and give out good and creative, but reasonable explanations.:) :)

^What are you picky about? :eyebrow:

I personally don't care. I guess I prefer modern, although there's nothing wrong with older toku. Modern-day shows are more entertaining to me, and have cooler (for lack of a better term) suits and effects. I suppose I'm not as hardcore a fan, so the older shows aren't as appealing. The pros of modern shows would be availability, and the greater chance of seeing them subbed, which is a plus for me.

But I don't know too much about older shows, so I can't give many cons. :(

Lurker
I prefer old, not the style, effect and all but designs. The new ones seem so robotic like..Sentai with powerups. >> Something like Kuuga just owns to me. That's also the reason why I havn't check out the new kamen riders. But, I am gonna start watching Den-O as soon as it finishes downloading on bitcomet. Also, I am not much a fan of cards in a battle, so I gave up trying to catch KR Ryuki. Which they in the middle of the battle, take out a card and insert it into some sort of slot for power ups while the other guy is doing nothing >> I guess I prefer them to be alittle bit more realistic and emotional when needed. Unlike Minami Kotaro, he seems to get over everything very easily >>"

Modern day Kamen Rider

Pros
-Complex armor designs and weapon variation
-At least 2 Riders per series for variation
-Always at least one form change
-henshin devices with voices (usually)

Cons
-Kamen Rider in name only, virtually no links to the original concept and/or formula
-Character formula gets stale quickly
-Too many forms/weapons/riders/attacks, not enough episodes for them all
-Lack of proper Rider Kicks
-Motorcycle concept is rarely capitalized on
-No scarves

I like both old and modern kamen rider concepts, although I find myself yearning to see the older concepts in a newer series

A Secret Messenger ...
Cons
-Kamen Rider in name only, virtually no links to the original concept and/or formula

This comment has always interested me, because in some ways the New Gen shows do sort of hold to the original formulas. Specifically, in the way that the origin of the Kamen Rider's power is somehow tied to the villain group.

-In Blade, the four Riders gain their powers through the use of the Undead. They require the Category Ace cards to transform, so in a way they require the power of the very enemies they are trying to defeat.

-In Ryuki, all of the Riders involved in the war (excluding the Alternatives? I can't remember) are granted their power by Kanzaki Shiro.

-For 555, the Rider belts were created by the SMART BRAIN corporation, but then fall into the hands of the heroes.

-Den-O gains his power from the Imagin ... again, the very same enemy the hero seeks to prevail against.

It may not seem like such a big deal to others, but it's one thing I've noticed. One aspect I would like to see return though is the "Quest of Vengeance" angle used in the older Kamen Rider shows.

I do agree with you on the under use of motorcycles. I was thinking about it a while ago and realized that Blade is the last Kamen Rider to have a heavy use of bikes. You almost always saw them riding or even sometimes using their bikes in battles. Strangely enough, I think even Hibiki has more motorcycle action that Kabuto and Den-O combined. Kuuga, Agito and even 555 had the characters using their motorcycles on a regular basis though.

Last edited:
Super Moderator
Hmm. Not an easy question to answer. Old or new there really are pros and cons to both. In my head I'm always imagining a mix which I think will have an influence on a story I'm trying to work with...anyway here's my thoughts.

Pros:

The style filming, direction, and camera work that really puts you in the moment.

There are some things about the J-drama approach that really work and make things seem more personal (for lack of a better term). Though this approach can also be bad just as often.

Henshin effects.

Overarching plotline co-existing (ideally at least) with traditional monster of the week battles.

Sleek design sense (but not always, more on that below)

I like it when modern shows really emphasize the things Rider is fighting for. Not sure how to describe it. It could be something like Godai or Shinji seeing a child being frightened by what is happening and they become that much more determined to fight. This certainally is not exclusive to modern shows, old toku does this to but at their best I enjoy the way modern shows do that.

Cons:

Like Chad Hyou said, no links to the original concept or formula. The damn Kamen Rider does mean something more than just "buy this toy". Though I'll grant that sometimes a modern show will have more er.."Rideryness" going on than what might be apparent on the surface.

Blatant Bandai gimmickery or ideas that dont really make any sense for Kamen Rider or a superhero action show in general.

Gaudy (I'm looking at you Den-O) overwrought and distinctly non-Rider designs and/or power-up forms. So basically when modern Rider design is good I think it's really good. When it's bad...it's just plain fugly.

Rider vs. Rider being mandatory even when characters have reached a point in the story when they should damn well know better but they're trying to milk more Rider vs. Rider out of it anyway.

Multiple Riders to meet some Bandai quota rather than actually give anything to the story.

Anytime angst takes a bigger priority than the action or moving the plot.

There are times when modern shows push the "shades of grey" thing too far IMO.

Tone shattering wackyness that eats up gobs of episode time that could be devoted to action and/or moving the main plot.

Agito had it's own unique spin on Kamen Rider. Basically Agito main enemy was God. God enemy gave the Power of Agito to people so they can rebel against god and his influence and become independent of him. It's sory of echoes Kamen Rider V3 and X and when they are created to fight Desatron and GOD.