Power Rangers: The Animated Series (Proof Of Concept Image?)

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Was going through my huge backlog of deviantart subscriptions when I stumbled across this
[hide] 1378072283684_zps7076ecf1.jpg[/hide]

http://brandonragnar.deviantart.com/art/Power-Rangers-368518079
"Several years ago I was hired by Disney to redesign The Powers Rangers for them. They were considering doing an animated series. This was my single image take."

I know this really doesn't seem like much to go on and we certainly don't have a lot knowledge of credibility from this guy, but it's interesting to think about regardless

If this is credible, I'd have two theories:

-This was a very,very early take, and such, the colors are changed up. Maybe they were trying to make the series different from the Sentai formula, but nothing beyond that.

Wait a minute, didn't see Red and thought Pink was red due to my f.lux settings. Forget this. But still, very different designs that have a Kyoryuger feel. Companies tend to reuse concepts they got for future reference, ala the PLEX Zyu2 Megazord to Gingaioh/Abarenoh and etc.

-They were taking a cue from Super Sentai and went with a different proof of concept and motif. It feels like Gatchaman, but to me, it feels like Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!. Perhaps Disney wanted to riff the success of that series and integrate some of the concepts into Power Rangers?

It feels like Goranger/Denjiman meets Star Trek meets Star Blazers.

Aside from that speculation, I'd love to see this picked up by Toei and turned into live action, either with or without the capes,which got a Big One/Magiranger feel. Or perhaps, given a web series and comic ala the Bravest Warriors?

HJU's master of disguise
It was known that Disney wanted to do an animated PR so that they wouldnt have to pay Toei anything. Toei got word and shut that down pretty damn fast

It was known that Disney wanted to do an animated PR so that they wouldnt have to pay Toei anything. Toei got word and shut that down pretty damn fast

Yep, I remember this well. It was a huge deal and it made me very scared at the time, that live action Power Rangers (in America only, obviously) was going to die and go away.

Fortunately Toei stopped it completely.

Yep, I remember this well. It was a huge deal and it made me very scared at the time, that live action Power Rangers (in America only, obviously) was going to die and go away.

Fortunately Toei stopped it completely.

Because Toei has been making consistently great series that can translate well and not look stupid unless Disney or Saban has to go out of their way to do so?

The live action show to be deadly honest went to crap after MF and only got better in RPM. It still hasn't recovered and frankly, the show needs new blood and a shot in the leg to make it better.

Pray tell why an animated series would be worse than what we are getting right now? I've seen the anime Ultramen and they were top notch, and the same could have been for these. Also, why would Toei even care when they make a quick buck from the shows anyways?

For all we know, the animated version could just use the same suit designs but different robot designs, and by this time, America had their own molds to begin with as far as BoA is concerned. If there was any sense, they could've likely had used the sentai designs , but more flexible. [HIDE]Sometimes, Japanese companies make as much sense as those who get pleasure from profit loss and failure. I recall Tsuburaya being pricks over the Ultraman franchise and look at it now, almost irrelevant in the US alongside Kamen Rider. Almost the same scenario. And lets not forget Nintendo, which has revived region locks.

The Japanese suits have this ego that their products are worth so much when in reality without the West, many of these franchises would have been a local phenomena that would have fizzled 30 years ago or been nothing. A very huge reason why Sentai failed here and was very patchwork over the globe and Power Rangers went global was because PR had consistent branding, a bit of luck and actual marketing. Look at Dragonball and how its been highly influenced by the global market: it even uses the Sabanized logo.Without America and the global market, the last DB game would've been that PSX GT.
[/HIDE]
I'd love to get into more details, but to keep it shorter, Toei missed a huger opportunity by not making it animated. Live action can only go so far and animation, if it were given a decent direction ,would be more compelling than the current Saban seasons many bicker about. Though I don't mind them, I'd take an animated franchise with semi decent writers and production values than a live action version that doesn't have the effort put into it.

It's not like there is any other tokusatsu in the States anyways.

If it wasn't Toei, then it amounts to production issues ,typical in the industry. Most things do not see the time of day.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with everything you said, you aren't wrong. I just feel the need to bring attention to this:

The live action show to be deadly honest went to crap after MF and only got better in RPM.

That was only two shows. Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. Which while I agree were not good shows, the other Disney series were all really solid and all belong in the top 10 PR series. I'm not even sure what to blame the short comings of those shows on.

HJU's master of disguise
If Disney would have gotten away with making the cartoon, Toei wouldn't have made a dime off it, and it breached their contract in doing so.

If Disney would have gotten away with making the cartoon, Toei wouldn't have made a dime off it, and it breached their contract in doing so.

How do we know this exactly? The reasons are fairly unknown why it wasn't made, and I doubt it was because of Toei. Either way, Toei would have made money off of the series because they own the concepts and everything it entails. How else do they release Sentai in Korea under the Power Rangers label? I doubt Toei would have allowed an animated series to get that far to concept stages without approving it when all things considered, Japanese companies are highly strict when it comes to their brand, especially Toho. They leveled Star Godzilla without batting an eyelash , Tsuburaya was highly stubborn in adapting Ultraman And Toei isn't exactly different, save they gave in for as far as Sentai became Power Rangers as far as they were concerned, their strategies to market Dental to a Western predominantly English audience failed.

Your argument makes no sense at all because it presumes Toei wouldn't have engaged in having input into the cartoon at all. They most certainly did with Kamen Rider Dragon Knight. In your logic, Toei gets no money from the live action shows so therefore, why have the live action version at all? Your logic is so flawed that it doesn't take common sense into consideration. Toei wants money and Bandai would make more money worldwide from an animated version where they can have both the Japanese designs be in interaction with the American ones. If the Japanese designs aren't used in the show, its called having them in an extended toyline. Its not like BoA hasn't released wholly irrelevant toys contrary to the present series such as Power Playback. And really, who doesn't like money or profits that could double?

Samurai was gonna be a toyline by itself for instance, without a show. How do you explain that in your logic? Shouldn't that not exist in the first place? Now imagine in your mind that they made an animated series that was different, but maybe parallel to promote the other toyline once in a while. A second team of rangers.

So how are you going to explain to me how Toei wouldn't want more toy sales from Bandai, with not much costs on their own end, that would benefit them. Contract or no contract, I am positive thast as long as the dental itself was used in some way, it could have been amended to ensure more profits. And heck, who's to say it wouldn't be CG?

Until we get real verified proof that Toei was a reason, I am going to doubt it. Because after all, what's to say they weren't going to use MMPR? Doesn't Toei own Zyuranger?:laugh:

While I don't agree with everything you said, you aren't wrong. I just feel the need to bring attention to this:

That was only two shows. Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. Which while I agree were not good shows, the other Disney series were all really solid and all belong in the top 10 PR series. I'm not even sure what to blame the short comings of those shows on.

I agree. The one thing I could blame is how Power Rangers didn't get the full Disney treatment and promotion alongside other Saban acquisitions. Besides that, they did well and don't understand why people were really mad other than the 2010 mess.

Lurker
Yea the shogun mode concept were made way before Saban bought the Power rangers series.