Power Rangers Samurai - Episode 1 'The Team Unites' (Check first post for download)

I know you can download it on the first page, but is Saban going to put the first episode on their website to stream it or are they going to be bitches like Cartoon Network and say fu to those who do not have cable?
They usually put up new episodes to stream. I just don't know if it'll be sometime soon.

Banned
Finally saw it, and i hate to be one of "Those Guys", but this left a Bad Taste in my mouth.

I know, this being PR in all, that we shouldn't expect Shakespearian quality acting, but i expected at least iCarly level acting, and PRS failed to deliver. Everyone felt static and wooden, but this may vanish as the series goes on.

The Voice's where mixed. The Main three villian's where decent, Taiyuu (OMG, they kept a name from Sentai :O_O:) sounded good, Whatever they Named Shitari sounded pretty much what i thougth he would sound like, Xandtred sounds like a stock PR Villian.

The Henshin Morphing scene was meh, and i hate those under masks with a passion. :mad:

It's too early for me to say about the whole "Mega Ranger" things, first impression's are i'm gonna hate it.

Music wise it was, again, meh. I don't really like the remix of the MMPR theme and the incidental music was ok at best.

Now i was pretty underwhelmed, but i'm not gonna go on tangents about how they "Should have just dubbed Shinkenger" or how "It was better off Cancelled" because i do seen things that could be great about PRS, they are just not here out of the Starting Gate (Plus elements that may need growing time with me)

My 10 word review: Doesn't live up to the Hype, But may prove great.

I also liked the voices for the villains. Especially the squid guy. His voice sounds SO familiar to me, but I can't put my finger on it.

This is kind of neurotic and obsessive, but something powerfully uncanny struck me as well about the squid guy's voice, physicality, stature and appearence. I thought of Droopy right off the bat, but my mind told me that was only half of it. I couldn't stick the other character I was trying to think of, so I re-watched his scenes and concentrated on it for a minute and finally figured it out! It was a tough one because it's not one, but several characters that the squid guy's delivery/presence evoked. It's actually several Disney animated characters all voiced by the same guy; Bill Thompson. He did the White Rabbit from Alice In Wonderland, Mr. Smee from Peter Pan, a Park Ranger in several Donald and Humphrey the Bear animated shorts, a King in Sleeping Beauty and several dogs from Lady And The Tramp. All his characters were usually physically small or short and plump, just like the squid guy. Plus, the squid guy even sort of resembled a warped version of the White Rabbit with his red coat on, and even more so, he is a short, plump sidekick character on a ship...just like Mr. Smee! Those Disney animated movies are all burned into everyone's mind, so no wonder it gave us such an sense of the uncanny (if I'm even correct about who you were also thinking of). I like trying to pinpoint and deconstruct the origins and connections of subconscious familiarity triggers. It's kind of depressing in a philosophical way, thinking that we are all just organic robots with only a backlog of deterministic causually programmed input that formed "us"...but that's another thread entirely!

Anyways, it is entirely possible that it was the deliberate intention by the producers and voice casting to imitate Bill Thompson's iconic voice with the squid character. Often times, iconic voice actors and their most famous matching onscreen character personas, physicalities and traits become archetypes in the collective subconscious for how certain looking characters should sound and act in future cases.

Anybody else get an uncanny vibe with the squid guy?

Last edited:
Lurker
Ok, I've watched it the third time today and realize something. When they used the spin sword attack, it was the black disk that was on the handle. However, Mike used his bear folding zord disk to have the same kind of attack on the nighlock, not the similar black disk. Is it a mistake in editing or what ?

Banned
Ok, I've watched it the third time today and realize something. When they used the spin sword attack, it was the black disk that was on the handle. However, Mike used his bear folding zord disk to have the same kind of attack on the nighlock, not the similar black disk. Is it a mistake in editing or what ?

I think that might have been a Mistake in the Shinkenger Footage (don't quote me though).

Seriously, "Folding Zords"? Please told me I misheard that. If you can't/won't use the word "origami", just don't reference it.

Mad Skillz
I thought it was a pretty decent episode, the only weak link I saw as far as acting is concerned is the blue ranger, everyone else seemed good to me. The scene with Bulk did feel out of place, mostly just because that's the only time we see them in the episode and it feels like it has no impact. I imagine those two characters might be played out better later on.

The whole cold opening into the series was...interesting. I'm a fan of shows like that, but you at least have some notion of who these people are most of the time, outside of Mike, it didn't feel like that here.

#MissionMiami
Seriously, "Folding Zords"? Please told me I misheard that. If you can't/won't use the word "origami", just don't reference it.

Yeah that was strange but I don't mind it. I mean It folds, so whatever.

It's Power Rangers. They're trying to minimize any existence of Japan. I remember watching one promo where they called kanji, "samurai symbols of power". Like other shows, they're using the ignorance of American kids to say what they want.

After watching the episode, from a kid's eyes, this would be cool. However, to me, it seems off. First of all, what's with Saban leaving the fate of the world to ordinary teens. I understand with it being Americanize, the rangers can't be descendants of samurai (unless all those families married outside their race and moved to America). I don't know maybe this will be explained later.