Power Rangers S.P.D - Full Series Talkback "Fighting Crime... in a Future Time."

"Confronted"

Well, this ep was a little rough, if you ask me. The premiere had a few off-moments with actors and editing and such, but mostly it was forgiveable. It's kind of expected with PR. This week, things were a little bit more noticeable for me. We'll get back to that in a sec.

First off, this is the first SPD ep written by the PR vet on the team, Jackie Marchand and as far as the writing goes, I wasn't dissapointed. I don't know how much of it was really her doing, but whoever's actually in charge of the show, she seems to do a good job of assimalating into the mix, so that her eps match up with the style and feel of the rest of them. The opening scene is a good example. Doesn't really seem like something they'd have done in DT. Of course, that scene had a lot of things going for it. The wierd "catch the crook" music playing in the background for one.

I still find myself pretty amazed at all the... STUFF this show has packed into it. Just in the first couple minutes, we have two more throwaway aliens, complete with new make-up, not coming from sentai or anything. I mean, this stuff doesn't just happen everyday on PR.

I think I've made up my mind about Grumm. The way he's written is okay with me, I suppose. But I don't think I like the voice actor much at all. It seems like the only thing he really knows how to do well is his "SUDDENLY GET LOUD AND ANGRY" bit, but he can only do that maybe once or twice an ep. The rest of the time, he's stumbling over his lines like a cracked-out trackrunner. As always, I don't want to write him off completely, but for now, I'm not into it.

We finally meet Mora today, and once again, I find her character to be really interesting, but am not a fan of the girl playing her... Sorry. What gets me into it is that we really don't know yet who this little girl is or where she comes from, and I find that really cool. There's something truly twisted and disturbing about a little girl who is fully aware of what someone like Grumm is doing and not really emotionally connecting with it, similar to how a monster would. The scene with her combing the two little hairs on her doll's head were particularly eerie... for PR. I truly hope we don't find that she's actually Grumm's daughter or something, because that would just be, well, lameass. So far, three eps in and it still feels like there's a lot here going on under the surface that the writers are planning to let unfold and that's pretty exciting.

The music continues to interfere with the experiance. I don't know what it is, but there are times when I find it difficult to hear what certain characters are saying, and if it isn't Mora's accent and her and Grumm's less-than-stellar emoting, it's the music. Not all of it is bad, just some of it's distracting to me.

Anyway, the best parts about the ep were the scenes involving the characters. Again, I'm surprised they even bothered to create living quarters for these characters, which is obviously seperate from the big rec room, the "briefing room," the "science room," the simulation room, Grumm's ultra-cool throne room, the... other places on Grumm's ship. I mean, this is a lot of set room here. Of course, some of those places could actually be the same rooms, just sort of reworked to look diff't, but the fact is they've got a lot of little nooks and crannies that, again, just help to make the show feel more expansive.... Now what was I saying about characters?

Oh yeah, the character scenes. This is a nice twist on the "Red Ranger learns to be a good Ranger" routine which we get practically every year. From the promo last week, I didn't expect to enjoy it all that much, but it was actually pretty funny, in an anti-NS/DT sorta way. One of the most hilarious parts was when the female cadet walks in and mentions the "close-contact" maneuvers Jack was planning to show her. I just can't imagine hearing something like that on DT.

Thank goodness, when everything was said and done, and Syd, Bridge, and Z accept Jack as their new leader, they didn't have a scene in which Sky is right there with them, happily admitting that he was the right choice. I don't think Sky would have said that, and I'm happy the writers decided to keep the character's integrity, while at the same time giving us the scene in which he silently aknowledges that Jack is trying to make up for his mistakes. In the hands of someone else, they might have done something truly hideous and totally destroyed a character with great potential. Wouldn't be the first time. (*coughRYAN!cough*)

The zords... Well, vehicular zords aren't really my cup of tea, and I can't say much for the design of these. I really thought the part where Pink raises up her hood to look like a badge-thingy should have been left alone, and not used. I dunno, the whole zord battle felt a little funky to me. When they formed the megazord, it got better though. I love the way that thing moves, dodging attacks and firing and all that. Unfortunately, if THAT's its finisher, then I'm not impressed. I did, however, like the cool jump-tubes they go into to slide into their zords.

So, if I'm right, each week is not just a monster, but a robot as well. So basically they fight two enemies on most occasions. I hope this isn't just some kind of fluke or something, and I'm right, cuz that would be cool.

To conclue, this ep had some real rough patches with the editing of sentai footage, and the voice acting was a little like nails on a chalkboard at times, but the story itself was cool, so... I'd say it deserves a B-.

(*sirens blare*)

Forever Knight said:
The badass Dreamseer arrives! Sick.

You know the retarded part, I've been more sold of Mora being evil in the last 2 episodes then I have of that bumbling idiot Lothor his entire run of the Ninja Crap series and I'm sure it'll get even better when she transforms into Morgana.

What was Sloan & Co smoking when they came up with the Lothor character?. Honestley can someone tell me?. :shakefist

I heard that. I was VERY excited to see Ninja Storm. Power Rangers had finally done right by us, with a consistant string of good bad guy who weren't idiots and were truely formidable foes.

So, I'm thinking that there's a huge wealth of possiblities that one can use with a Ninja Warlord from space.

But nope! We haven't seen that level of stupidity since they dumbed down poor Lord Zedd.

Still, this series more than makes up for it. Truely a congratulations to the fans that stuck it out through the bad times.

As much as I complained about Ninja Storm, I still think it was a fun show, and it's not so hard to re-watch the eps. I somehow found it better than Dino Thunder, to tell you the truth. At least NS was consistent with its mediocrity. DT may have had Tommy and all that, but it was sloppy as hell.

Eye See You
^ Sloan and Co. had so much to run with considering Hurricanger & Abaranger had Solid storylines.

Both seasons were sloppy, poorly written, and a disgrace to Power Rangers.

The real sick part is that there are actual people out there who prefered Sloans way over Tzachors and Kalish's thus far. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but....c'mon man.....

has left HJU. Not coming back.
Forever Knight said:
The real sick part is that there are actual people out there who prefered Sloans way over Tzachors and Kalish's thus far. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but....c'mon man.....

Well, Anti-Sentites and some Ninja Storm fans prefered Doug Sloan. Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder had LESS Sentai footage, not using ALOT of Sentai footage.

Ninja Storm Fans loved Ninja Storm alot because probably humors, Dustin or other things.

Anyways, Dreamseer! Good to see you again. Welcome to the board.

Last edited:
Eye See You
FreedomBlack said:
Turning Tao Zanto in a Zord in the last ep...my GOD, that was a total disgrace...

You don't know how many times during Ninja Storm I pulled the hair outta my scalpe. I don't even think the kiddies enjoyed that crap.

Tommy's return in "Forever Red" was executed perfectley. I wish it would have been done somewhat like that for DT, especially after waiting 7 years for the guy to return.

Well we got our last chance for Tommy in the SPD/DT team up so let's see what Kalish & Co. does.

has left HJU. Not coming back.
FreedomBlack said:
Turning Tao Zanto in a Zord in the last ep...my GOD, that was a total disgrace...

I agree with you. It was a total disgrace. What's up with that? It was Doug's decision for using Tao Zanto in a Zord. I wish Ninja Storm shouldn't have use Lothor because he was too goofy.

I hear that Ninja Storm has plenty of solid fans who stand by the show. I really don't see the draw tho.

What I liked was the Ranger cast, the action, the costume and the special events were so well done, I just wish the whole series had been like that. But yeah... for me, what undid Ninja Storm is the bad guys. At least how they were in the beginning.

I don't mind humor... Beast War's Megatron and Waspinator were funny. But when you're in bumbling mode the whole time, it's just embarassing.

Dino Thunder... I didn't even watch the whole series. You're right, it was all over the place. I still don't understand the White Dino Ranger clone deal or why it happened.

Only things I liked were teh DT/NS team up and the finale... and seeing Tommy Specials. I just wish the rest of the show had been as good as the special events.

SPD on the other hand hasn't had any special events besides the premiere and already each episode is as good or better than NS and DT at its best and these are just filler episodes!

Hats off... this is one Ranger series I will defiantely be picking up on DVD once it lands.

Lurker
ForeverRed said:
...I wish Ninja Storm shouldn't have use Lothor because he was too goofy.
Their it goes again a person thats callin Lothor Goofy. I don't see why people call him goofy anyways, he didn't do anything goofy through out the whole season. The only idiot their is Chuboo, and even he stays loyal to his master...

Last edited: