Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive <- Once known as Relic Hunters

Mad Skillz
Big news
From Disney Consumer Products (www.disneyconsumerproducts.com)

Disney Shows Muscle with Boys Properties
(June 22, 2006)

Disney Consumer Products (DCP) today announced that 2006 will be the best year ever for boys. Driven by the tremendous success of Disney*Pixar's "Cars," the establishment of "Pirates of the Caribbean" as a long-term franchise and the ongoing popularity of "Power Rangers," Disney is reaching boys with everything from die-cast, action figures and bikes to MP3 players, video games and books.

"With the strength of our entertainment, we knew 2006 would be the year we became a power house boys player," said Andy Mooney, chairman of Disney Consumer Products. "Similar to DCP's girl's portfolio, which is the best in the industry, our boy's portfolio offers everything from the whimsical 'Cars' and 'Toy Story' characters to the heroic rite of passage that is 'Power Rangers' for younger boys, to the cooler, more aspirational 'Pirates of the Caribbean' brand for the older boy."

"Power Rangers" - DCP's #1 Boys Brand

DCP kicked-off its year experiencing strong demand for "Power Rangers" action figures, its perennial boy's property, during the Holiday 05 season. In 2005, "Power Rangers" was ranked second in the action figure category behind "Star Wars," according to The NPD Group. Next year's theme will be called "Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive." "Power Rangers" airs more than 65 times each week in over 40 territories worldwide, and continues to expand worldwide with successful launches in Italy, India and other countries this year.

Disney·Pixar's Cars — Phenomenal Success
The tremendous anticipation of Cars before the film was released combined with the huge box office opening resulted in record-breaking retail sales for merchandise based on a Disney·Pixar theatrical film. The film's humor, story and character personalities were incorporated into its products, which featured many category firsts for a Disney·Pixar film, including the first power ride-on, kids electronics line and bedroom suite. Currently, Cars is recording 10 to 1 more retail volume than Finding Nemo at the same point in its release. DCP plans to expand and refresh product with new creative style guides for fall and beyond. Large retailers have already committed to Cars feature shops for the entire months of November and December to maximize the DVD release.

Pirates of the Caribbean — Evergreen Boys Franchise
On July 7, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will release to theaters and reignite a pirate frenzy that started in 2003. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl recorded more than $650m in global box office sales, and Dead Man's Chest is one of the most highly-anticipated events of the summer. With ongoing entertainment support, DCP is positioning Pirates of the Caribbean as an evergreen boys franchise, comparable in opportunity to its Disney Princess franchise for girls.

Since the audience for Pirates of the Caribbean is so broad, DCP looked to create innovative product and edgy creative designs for multiple consumers. Toy licensee, Zizzle's Black Pearl playset was already chosen for Toy Wishes "Hot Summer Toys" list, a high-end apparel and jewelry line tied into the current Pirates fashion trend will launch to specialty stores, and Disney Publishing developed the largest live-action publishing series ever — including the latest novel, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (junior novel), currently on the New York Times children's best-seller list. Pirates of the Caribbean product will be featured in all key categories represented at major retailers worldwide.

Toy Story — 10 Years Strong
And let's not forget about Woody and Buzz. Ten years from its initial release, the Toy Story franchise continues to show growth at retailers like Target, which showed double-digit growth in Toy Story merchandise sales this year. Additionally, Toy Story is the best-selling boy's property at Disney Store North America, with new Buzz Lightyear and friends product in all key categories featured in more than 100 stores.

For more information, please visit: www.disneyconsumerproducts.com

About Disney Consumer Products
Disney Consumer Products (DCP) is the business segment of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) that extends the Disney brand to merchandise ranging from apparel, toys, home décor and books to interactive games, food and beverages, stationery, electronics and animation art. This is accomplished through the work of DCP's various lines of business: Disney Toys, Disney Softlines, Disney Home, Disney Food, Health & Beauty, Disney Stationery, Disney Publishing, Buena Vista Games, Baby Einstein, the Muppets Holding Company and Disney Shopping, Inc.'s catalog and disneyshopping.com. The Disney Store, which debuted in 1987, also falls under DCP, through stores currently owned and operated by unaffiliated third parties under licensing agreements in North America and Japan, and wholly owned stores in Europe.

Good score, Blue!

LOVE the new name!

Can we get a Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive picture done up? Small enough to post on the front page?

S

scikaiju

hmm, not quite as interesting as Relic Hunters but still a hell of a lot better than Drive Force

Black Version
Hell, *anything* would have been better than Drive Force. I like the title, though they could have just gone with PR: Overdrive and I would have been cool with it.

I do hope they go with a team of professionals rather than the standard "spunky teens recruited by chance," but I'm not holding my breath...

Boys boys boys... Shesh. Now I remember why it was always so embarrassing to say I watched Power Rangers when I was little. Hey, I had the toys too. :nono:

It's Judgement Time!
I think it's far more interesting than "Relic Hunters". Relic Hunters was nice but too straight forward and direct. Just because the season may deal in hunting of relics doesnt mean the name of the season has to reflect it literaly. Operation Overdrive has more flare to it and it sounds more exciting. Also gives us hope for something a little different than a Boukenger copy/paste.

I'm just sad that the name Operation Overdrive is way too kewl of a name for any of the Robo Boukenger footage...

Relic Hunters and Drive Force had no oomf, spark or flare. Relic Hunters sounded like a rip on Tomb Raider.

Operation Overdrive kicks ass. Glad to hear about the change. :thumbs: