Power Rangers movie #3 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

As someone pointed out on twitter, they could just be trying to remove as many Zyuranger elements as possible to avoid having to pay Toei again.

Toei's logo is on the movie website. Click on the legal button and Toei's logo is squarely between Saban Brands and Lionsgate's.

Are we all forgetting that when Saban was in the production phase of the Mighty Morphin TV show, Toei offered to help them make something unique and even drew up original designs for the Zords and everything (they were similar to the ZyuRanger designs, but still distinctly different), but Saban turned it down because using Super Sentai footage was cheaper and easier? This could all be a second chance at that. This could be their attempt to make the Power Rangers movie something very unique without borrowing as many elements from Super Sentai, possibly with design help from Toei (though, I kind of doubt that since Rita's costume doesn't really feel like the kind of thing I usually expect from Japan...).

Though, if there is ANY truth to what I am saying, it makes me extra curious what the Ranger suits will look like. It'd be in their best interest to make this movie somewhat visually similar to the Mighty Morphin look that everyone remembers, so how will they do that while making a new and unique design? They couldn't do that with Rita, apparently, since they went with a purely original design... Things were so different in 1995. When they made the first movie, even if they turned the tights into armor, they did their best to make the costumes look like the ones from the show because the show was airing. They needed to make sure kids could recognize it visually. Now it's 2016. Maybe they truly believe it's safe to experiment with looks and try things they couldn't do before? Just speculating...

Who knows? Maybe this will become a Story VS Looks scenario. You could have a movie where the characters and suits look very similar to what you remember, but the story sucks. On the other hand, you could have a movie where the characters and suits look extremely different, but the story is actually good. Anything could happen once the movie gets going. In this movie's case, maybe Rita's costume starts out green and gold, but gets progressively more witch-like or Bandora-like as the story goes on because reasons. Even the Spidey suit that Andrew Garfield wore looked really dumb, but the story was pretty good, and they made the suit more comic-accurate in the sequel. If this movie ends up being good enough for a sequel, they may do the same thing. But that's just me trying to be positive about all this. It could still end up being completely horrible all around, but we should still wait and see.

SamuraiEchidna said:
This could be their attempt to make the Power Rangers movie something very unique without borrowing as many elements from Super Sentai, possibly with design help from Toei (though, I kind of doubt that since Rita's costume doesn't really feel like the kind of thing I usually expect from Japan...).

My problem with this version of Rita is that she doesn't seem to fit the original character. If it were announced as "here's the villain of the new MMPR movie, a new villain, not Rita", I wouldn't have any problem. But there's a limit (in my opinion) on how much you can alter a character when you're doing a remake/reboot/whatever.

You could have a movie where the characters and suits look very similar to what you remember, but the story sucks. On the other hand, you could have a movie where the characters and suits look extremely different, but the story is actually good. Anything could happen once the movie gets going.

Agreed. But even if the movie turns out to be a good movie, I'll still argue that changing a classic character that much is a flaw.

Lurker
My problem with this version of Rita is that she doesn't seem to fit the original character. If it were announced as "here's the villain of the new MMPR movie, a new villain, not Rita", I wouldn't have any problem. But there's a limit (in my opinion) on how much you can alter a character when you're doing a remake/reboot/whatever.

Agreed. But even if the movie turns out to be a good movie, I'll still argue that changing a classic character that much is a flaw.
Flaw? The look is just one aspect of a character, judging a character basing on looks is just unfair. Your just being judgmental, thats whats wrong with people now days, looks aren't everything. I think that if they don't have the spirit of the character at all? Then it just aint the character at all. Looks isnt everything. If anything, I think it adds more ground and the development of the evil green ranger anyways. Besides, i think its a great idea saban is doing a re-imagining of rita repulsa. Without the constraints they have on using supersentai footage, everything else is all original from here and i think thats fantastic! It can be as is in its purity, Power Rangers, without it being compared to its japanese counterpart, Super Sentai!

Hong Kong seems to do Live Action Anime decently...City Hunter and Initial D. There's also Steve Wang and Guyver...like the interpretation of it. In addition to that, they made an extended universe. Sean was fighting Chronos LA...which means Sho may exist...so good on them...Earth's Vanguards. Speed Racer was decent, the Wachoski's were taking a risk. As for Dragon Ball Evolution...HOW DID THEY GET CHOW YUN FAT TO PORTRAY THE PERVERTED TURTLE HERMIT?!!!!

I wasn't much of a Speed Racer fan of the film, mainly because I loved the 1997 remake better, because it seemed like it had too many colors. It was honestly a movie that was too far for its time which would've been a box office success, much like had the studio which made Dredd 3D, halted its release until after Deadpool. Then again, my idea of a Speed Race film would be a period piece set in 1960's America or Japan [hopefully Japan] that has all the trappings of the period it came out of, to preserve how the show was. Nothing science fiction like, but something like a hardcore racing film with action looking like the racing movie that Chris Hemsworth was in a year back[?]. If I were to see the movie today, I might have liked it better, but I still would probably feel the effects were somewhat overdone. I still feel that Quentin Tarantino should have never left the project, because he could bring the show some justice on the screen. But I digress. On Chow Yun Fat, he did read the manga. However, if you're constrained by a terrible script and a vision of a movie that strays away from the source, there's not much any good actor can really do to make the movie better. It's like how Airbender had a serviceable cast, but because they had a director that had wrote it with terrible rushed writing[ that needed an editor] and pathetic choreography. It made a potentially awesome summer blockbuster into a dud. The first movie today would've ended with Aang being taken by the Fire Nation, and the movie would've been much better in this movie climate, since Avatar was made to be split into parts unlike a certain movie about little people in the center of the 3rd rock from the sun....

And Steve Wang only did Guyver 2: The Dark Hero. I never seen the first film and will never see it, because what I have s een of it is a complete farce. I'm also not really sure that Sho actually does exist in this universe or any of the other Guyver units do exsit because the films already established that there was only one Guyver unit in existence, and whatever the original director had in mind for a potential sequel if he even considered to make Guyver 3 have an actual introduction, is irrelevant. As far as the films are concerned, Sho does not exist and Sean is his alternate counterpart, up to his love interest being a mixture of his best friend and girlfriend of the original anime/comics. But we can all agree that Steve Wang had been passed over in terms of Guyver and the MMPR 1995 film. Partially because he wasn't a really big name, the popularity of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles turned the first film into a pseudo knockoff, and because the effects never translated what animation could at the time either. Again, a film that was too far ahead for its time in an industry that wasn't ready to translate such movies into live action, or willing.

I'll be open for the movie, but I'm wondering how things will pan out to be honest.

And Steve Wang only did Guyver 2: The Dark Hero. I never seen the first film and will never see it, because what I have s een of it is a complete farce.

Luke Skywalker, JJ "Dynomite" Evans, and Weyoun all in one movie? Who could pass that up??

Flaw? The look is just one aspect of a character, judging a character basing on looks is just unfair. Your just being judgmental, thats whats wrong with people now days, looks aren't everything.

Relax, daddy Barashin. People can do both; critique/analyze the material presented while still being open minded; and I'm pretty sure that's what most of us are doing right now. Besides, I'm not sure that "don't judge a book" logic works here when something like Power Rangers and Super Sentai usually rely on having their own visual identity. It could still be a good movie. All we're saying is, you can't give us an apple, tell us it's an orange, and not expect us to be a little confused at first.

Barashin said:
Flaw? The look is just one aspect of a character, judging a character basing on looks is just unfair. Your just being judgmental, thats whats wrong with people now days, looks aren't everything. I think that if they don't have the spirit of the character at all? Then it just aint the character at all. Looks isnt everything.

I'm not judging the character - I'm judging the decision of changing the character visual excessively. There's a huge difference.

I never said she was going to be a bad character or that the movie was going to be bad. When did I say anything about her spirit? When did I say anything about looks being everything?

It can be as is in its purity, Power Rangers, without it being compared to its japanese counterpart, Super Sentai!

I have no problem with their supposed wish to avoid comparison. But if that is their goal, I think that rebooting old characters is a bad idea. That's why I explicitly said I'd have no problem with the character if she weren't a Rita's reboot.

"I don't want my new villain to be compared to the old Rita Repulsa, so I'll create a completely new character and call her... Rita Repulsa! But don't compare!". C'mon... you can't reboot things that people liked in the past and then complain that people are comparing the reboot with the original version.

Lurker
Relax, daddy Barashin. People can do both; critique/analyze the material presented while still being open minded; and I'm pretty sure that's what most of us are doing right now. Besides, I'm not sure that "don't judge a book" logic works here when something like Power Rangers and Super Sentai usually rely on having their own visual identity. It could still be a good movie. All we're saying is, you can't give us an apple, tell us it's an orange, and not expect us to be a little confused at first.

I'm not judging the character - I'm judging the decision of changing the character visual excessively. There's a huge difference.

I never said she was going to be a bad character or that the movie was going to be bad. When did I say anything about her spirit? When did I say anything about looks being everything?

I have no problem with their supposed wish to avoid comparison. But if that is their goal, I think that rebooting old characters is a bad idea. That's why I explicitly said I'd have no problem with the character if she weren't a Rita's reboot.

"I don't want my new villain to be compared to the old Rita Repulsa, so I'll create a completely new character and call her... Rita Repulsa! But don't compare!". C'mon... you can't reboot things that people liked in the past and then complain that people are comparing the reboot with the original version.
If thats how you feel about how rita looks in this movie Im afraid to ask how you feel about billy being black. Apples and oranges right? :rolleyes2:

Rita created the evil green ranger, which had a dragon motif to its design, dont you think it seems fitting to give her a dragon motif as well? Just because it aint close to its original look you're all confused? its hard to accept? You're fine to have an opinion on this matter and perhaps Im being to much of an optimist here but talk about being judgemental geez! Its just a look and already you fans cry foul...

...i really shouldnt be suprised though really, this is the PR fandom after all...

Last edited:
Why is every good TV show Cancelled
If I was going to blame anyone on that design, I'd assume the costume people were told to create something easy to fight in, they did their own thing & the producer(s) picked the first thing they liked without question because they just want to get the movie over with, on time, & not haggle over details.

Really, this movie is making me want to barge my way into the office, take over the sequel & do it right myself...:redface2: