Power Rangers movie #3 - Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I've honestly seen better logos from people on DeviantArt. But I'd look past that if they'd used the iconic thunderbolt that Power Rangers is known for.
Seriously, how do you disregard the same symbol you've been using for 20+ years?

Because Saban doesn't actually have creative control over the movie.:redface2:

At the very least, anyone who actually cares about how it's represented it busy on the show.

First look at Elizabeth Banks as Rita

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/19/power-rangers-elizabeth-banks-rita-repulsa

92302342909390154864dc597c413c14.jpg

It's the big news across ranger forums and entertainment outlets

The biggest complaint I've seen is

"I was expecting Rita to look like Rita from the show. Not an exact copy but something similar"

It's actually not a bad costume, if it was some original villain. It certainly isn't "Rita". If anything this could pass for a Poison Ivy in a Batman movie.

Hmm... Yeah, this design does not reflect classic Rita/Bandora at all. Doesn't even look like a witch's costume. Although...

>>How should you respond to this news?<<

>A) Joke about how the suit is unnecessarily sexy in standard Linkara-style fashion
>B) Insert the "F*** this sh**, I'm out" meme here.
>C) Compliment their choice to move away from the ZyuRanger designs in favor of being original.

>>Being optimistic in the face of change fills you with determination.<<

I gotta say, I'm really curious what the Ranger suits will look like. I hope they completely ditch the old diamond pattern design and give us something really impressive.

Feels more Divatox...actually feels more like they pulled from from VR Troopers and Beetleborgs than Power Rangers. I suppose so. I suppose if you want to pull from Snow White and the Huntsman/Winter War vibe...I guess. This is going to turn into as much of a circus as that whole ScarJo as Makoto Kusanagi schtick.

As someone pointed out on twitter, they could just be trying to remove as many Zyuranger elements as possible to avoid having to pay Toei again.

Besides, a baggy purple dress and two of Madonna's old cone bras (one on the chest, one as a hat) is not going to look cool to the average movie-goer, which is what the film is aiming for. So they seem to be emphasising the other-worldly aspect. Also, is it possibly significant that the outfit is green with gold trim, given a certain coin the character may or may not possess?
This is going to turn into as much of a circus as that whole ScarJo as Makoto Kusanagi schtick.
The only thing that surprised me about that was that they managed to secure a budget large enough to sign a star that big. Clearly the likes of Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution haven't quite put anime adaptations in the same ghetto as video game adaptations.

As someone pointed out on twitter, they could just be trying to remove as many Zyuranger elements as possible to avoid having to pay Toei again.

They already had to pay Toei to make the movie anyways, so that doesn't make sense at all because why would Toei want to charge more to make the move recognizable? Woudln't they want to avoid what happened with Godzilla in 1998? That is like making a Godzilla movie and remove Godzilla from the film altogether because they don't want to pay Toho the rights for it.

This is just a completely terrible artistic choice after another just so they make it edgy and dark, as if Power Rangers was never either at points. Or even diverse.

Besides, a baggy purple dress and two of Madonna's old cone bras (one on the chest, one as a hat) is not going to look cool to the average movie-goer, which is what the film is aiming for.

They got the Lady Gaga look to it. Why not step it up and go all the way in a modern sense? Even if they did the dress, why not ham it up and have a dissonance where she is utterly terrifying as a villain causing millions to die, while she looks like a joke?

There was a concept art version from the scrapped pitch that faithfully modernized Rita without making it super bulky, and it looks very good.

here-s-how-mighty-they-could-ve-looked-see-the-brilliant-unused-concept-art-for-the-powe-767917.jpg

So they seem to be emphasising the other-worldly aspect.

This is what Lady Gaga would wear if she were going to have a Chinese inspired album cover as Poison Ivy. There's literally nothing that is otherworldly, especially when the Hunger Games and most of modern fashion falls under these predictable tropes. The golden claws that Banks is wearing are the kind the last Chinese empress wore. If they wanted otherworldly for real, they should look to emulate H.R. Giger or go full Cenobite and try to evoke horror and fear. Make her subtly monstrous and feared. Nothing about this Lady Gag -as-Poison Ivy clone says anything to be feared so much as she is ordinary. Because people are honestly going to fear a woman who looked like she raided Lady Gaga's wardrobe? It's not like they took Loki and made him a fashionable model for Vogue.

Who's making this movie? The band of filmmakers that make unnecessarily dark movies that look like a parody that looked at the worst aspects of the edgy 80's, WB's failed DC movies and early 2000's comic movies and said "This is definitely what the audience wants." It's not like Marvel stripped the likeness of their characters so they can be edgy and hardcore emo so they can "fit in". They ran with their looks and updated them if necessary, unlike how the X-Men movies have felt lifeless in their costume choices. Or the terrible mess of F4ntastic. This movie looks like the latter so far.

But even the X-Men films had heart to them, so hopefully the movie can have that heart in it as well. But as far as it looks, it's not turning out that well.

Clearly the likes of Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution haven't quite put anime adaptations in the same ghetto as video game adaptations.

Hong Kong seems to do Live Action Anime decently...City Hunter and Initial D. There's also Steve Wang and Guyver...like the interpretation of it. In addition to that, they made an extended universe. Sean was fighting Chronos LA...which means Sho may exist...so good on them...Earth's Vanguards. Speed Racer was decent, the Wachoski's were taking a risk. As for Dragon Ball Evolution...HOW DID THEY GET CHOW YUN FAT TO PORTRAY THE PERVERTED TURTLE HERMIT?!!!!