The title says it all, pretty much. A lot of us have seen a lot of Toku, and some of it is good and some is bad. But, every cloud has that silver lining. So, come in and rap about it.

If you're, like, a toku mega-vet, don't hit us with a million word post. Be choosy. All we really need is a couple of sentences about why the episode was good. Whether it was the fight, or the jokes, or the guest star. Whatever. Just give us more than a "duh smiley face" or a "this should be obvious". You should also keep it to series you have finished at least halfway, just because you never know. I'd like to do Liveman, but I'm only on episode 19, sooo....I'll start.

Jetman-Episode 42 "Sleep on my Chest". This episode is probably the saddest toku episode I have ever seen. It's just dark. Jetman had a lot of high emotion episodes, but this one took the cake. And it just had a throwaway one shot character, too. It's about the villains, first and foremost, and this was an era before the villains really were as important as the heroes. So, not only is it about G2 and it's demise, but it's about Grey and Maria, dealing with their feelings about each other and their situation. If your stomach doesn't just plummet at the end, you may have to go find yourself a new soul or something.

Zyuranger- Episode 1- "The Birth". Such potential! There's just so much going on in this episode. It really wants to be that episode that sets the tone for everything that comes after it. When Bandora lands her castle right in the middle of Tokyo, after capturing a space shuttle, you just know that things are about to get wild. The Zyurangers themselves just kind of pop up out of nowhere and they look so bizarre, that you just can't help but be sucked in. Too bad the rest of the series is a letdown, because that opening is just chock full of amazing and crazy stuff.

Dairanger- Episode 15- "3 Stooges Soccer". Yeah, yeah, I know. A comedy episode. I've often referred to Jetman, Zyuranger, and Dairanger as the insanity trilogy, because pretty much anything goes in these series. Lots of things make little sense a lot of the time. This episode is prime insanity. So, Ryo has to play soccer against three Gorma to save his sister who is trapped in a balloon. The look Daigo gives after he creates the illusion is just priceless. I seriously went back and watched it like five times. This episode is genuinely funny and crazy.

Magiranger- Episode 38- "A Promise to Big Brother". An episode with the Magirangers getting murdered one by one?!? Sign me up! No, but really, this episode was probably the most genuinely dramatic out of all the Magiranger episodes. It didn't feel forced at all, and you could really see Tsubasa struggle with his responsibility to live up to Makito. There was also a real sense of terror in Cyclops. He was a much more enjoyable villain than the other Gods. Just a good character episode all around.

Dekaranger- Episode 13- "High Noon Dogfight". This episode has everything about Sentai encapsulated in thirty minutes. Dekamaster just showing up and being really fucking cool is all that this episode is, but it still works. From the counter, to the bullet deflection. It's all awesome. Such a simple episode, but such fun.

Gekiranger- Episode 20- "Gicho-Gicho! Triangle Opposition Match!". Basically, up until this point, most of this series has been tracking the Gekiranger's growth as martial artists. However, the spectre of the Kenma and Rio loomed large over them. This would have been a typical power up episode, but it revolved around the Gekirangers finding their weaknesses and overcoming them. Like, you know, actual martial artists and stuff. You could actually see them try, fail, and then learn the error of their ways. It says a lot about the Gekirangers as characters, especially Retsu and Ran, who often get overlooked for Jan and Rio. It has that patented Gekiranger goofiness, of course, but if you don't feel inspired when Retsu kicks Gazelle guy and takes the bandana, then I just don't know. A lot more enjoyable and relatable than your typical mid-season power-up episode.

Shinkenger- All of them. The end.
No, seriously. The real answer is Episode 47 "Bonds". I could have easily put in a bunch of good episodes, but I chose this one. It's the end of the Takeru/Juzo dynamic, and it serves as a great capper for the villain. Seriously, I totally flipped my **** when Uramasa stabbed Juzo in the foot. That's just thematic as all hell. Not only was that fight amazing, but this also serves as a fantastic Chiaki and Ryuunoske episode and it shows the lengths the Shinkengers have gone together and how much they've been through. Probably one of my top favorite toku episodes ever.

Gokaiger- Episode 14 "Now for Traffic Safety". A lot of you have seen my rant about Gokaiger. But, I have to admit that, despite it's failures, Gokaiger had an excellent episode with the Carranger tribute. It was probably the best tribute episode period. It perfectly captured the tone of Carranger and it harkened back to the days of Sentai insanity that I love so much.

Kabuto- Episode 8 "The Bee's Insanity!". Yeah, it's the The Bee episode. The first twenty episodes are on par with anything HBO has put out, in my opinion. They're all great and intriguing episodes, with loads of drama and good fights. Probably the best ones had to have been with Yamuguruma as The Bee. The sunset fight with Kabuto. Slowly losing his grip. His final freak out. "You have lost your way". Just an amazing arc and this episode is the topper. We really got a lot out of the rise and fall of a character in less than a few episodes. It's also a good Tendou episode, because we finally see him challenged. Just really excellent writing.

W-All of them. Oh, wait, I did that joke already.
The real answer is probably Episode 18- "Farewell N/Friend with the Wind". Yes, the Kirihito episode. ITS SO GOOD AAAAAA. Kirihito goes from failing stooge to sympathetic putz in less than two full episodes. And it's completely believable, too. His death really kicks the story up a notch, too. It shows Saeko's depravity, Shotaro's sense of honor and yet another piece of the Fuuto mosaic. Almost assuredly the best Rider episode right here.

OOO- Episode 30- "The King, the Panda, and the Blazing Memory". Dr. Maki is a villain. Through and through. This is his episode and it develops him about as nicely as any episode has ever developed someone. We've seen him early on be heartless and conniving, but once we discover his backstory, we figure out just how depraved he is. When he walks away with Kazari and Lost Ankh at the end, you really get a sense about how opposed they are to Eiji and Ankh. He didn't deliver as much as I would like, but hey. He started off as an amazing character

Fourze- Episode 17 "Meteor Arrival". At current, the best part of Fourze is Meteor. He's such an interesting character and his suit design is just fantastic. When he shows up, he instantly clashes with Fourze, and their chemistry is making the show right now. Also, his henshin is amazing.

Maybe I should have followed my own advice...

Jetman-Episode 42 "Sleep on my Chest". This episode is probably the saddest toku episode I have ever seen. It's just dark. Jetman had a lot of high emotion episodes, but this one took the cake. And it just had a throwaway one shot character, too. It's about the villains, first and foremost, and this was an era before the villains really were as important as the heroes. So, not only is it about G2 and it's demise, but it's about Grey and Maria, dealing with their feelings about each other and their situation. If your stomach doesn't just plummet at the end, you may have to go find yourself a new soul or something.

When I read your question, that particular episode is the first one that came to my mind.

I'm A Djinn
Here are some of the toku eps that genuinely gave me enjoyment:

Fourze = Reveal of the Scorpio Zodiarts. I saw it from a mile away and Im glad that they went with it.

Gokaiger = Jealoushitto returns. My sides split with laughter from all the insanity

W = Jimmeh! Beach scene was the best. Hardboil that, Shotaro.

Go-onger = G3 Princess. Genuinely entertained me.

GARO = Aquarium ep. Start to finish. And what a finish it was.

GARO Makai Senki = Sewer lids episode. OMG that freeze-frame.

Gekiranger = Miki + Natsume ep. Poor poor Ken.

Kiva = Finale. Because that puke-spewing turkey turd of a series finally came to a close.

RPM = "If Venjix Won". that password was WIN.

Shinkenger = That ep where Ryuunosuke gets advice from a familiar Kuroko. How Ryuunosuke acts on it is just so amazing to watch over and over. Definitely my fvorite samurai.

Last edited:
Dekaranger episodes 7 & 8- Beautiful and touching backstory episode for Jasmine. One of the main reasons she's one of my favorite female characters, and also one of the main reasons why Dekaranger is one of my top favorites.

Dekaranger episode 13- Doggie Krugar is just awesome.

Shinkenger episode 47- Because of the bonding moments between Takeru and the rest of the Shinkengers. They really had good chemistry.

Hurricaneger eps 31-33 and later, ep 49- Episodes 31-33 because of the end of the Ikkou-Manmaruba rivalry and bringing the Goraijer's storyline nearly full circle. Episode 49 is an excellent Shurikenger episode.

Friendship and the Cosmos.
Kamen Rider Kuuga Episode 10/11, 41 (And all of it in general, but these would be my favorite) - One of the things early 2000's Toku did really well was having two parallel storylines within the span of an episode. Sure it cut out some possible extended fight scenes, but the juxtaposition of certain things was absolutely incredible. This is especially true in Godai's fight against Zu-Zain Da as Sakurako visits Kanzaki and we learn about Godai's past as well as his reasoning for the iconic thumbs up.

"Godai Yusuke, do you know what this means? -thumbs up?"

Episode 41 of Kuuga probably had one of my most favorite lines in toku ever, and it was the episode where Nana wanted to kill someone because she failed to make an audition as well as being mocked for having her teacher killed by a Grongi. When Godai said that trying to understand each other through violence was sad, and Nana called him about for being idealistic, he said:

"Yeah, I'm idealistic. But that's why I want to make it come true!"

And cue an epic fight scene upon a boat with no background music and the only the sound of howling wind in your ears.

Kamen Rider Agito Episode 46 - This episode was the episode where Tsugami, with no powers, took the attack from the Hedgehog Lord and Kino had to perform emergency surgery to him on the spot after practically having his sternum broken by the Falcon Lord. As Shoichi convulsed in pain, Kino said:

“Tsugami…I thought about what you said. About who I am, and what I’ve done, and being an Agito. You made me realize something Tsugami…I am a man overcome by the power of Agito. I drowned in it, but you made me realize that I could keep on fighting it. I won’t stop fighting Tsugami, and neither should you! “

That line was just...incredible. Inoue can write some incredible dialogue. Plus it restores the powers of the 4 Agito's as they strike the Overlord.

Kamen Rider Double - Episode 47. - Phillip's Death.

Kamen Rider OOO - Episode 40-48 Just the last few episodes of OOO where Ankh begins to appreciate Eiji and co. to his absorption by Lefty, his revival, his betrayal, his dramatic yearning for life as he fights with Eiji on the beach, his betrayal by Maki, his return to Eiji and then death was just some of the greatest Kamen Rider episodes ever, and made the year of sticking through it so worth it. As much as I loved Double, I can't get over Ankh's death compared to Phillip's.

"I never told you did I, Ankh? Thank you"

Mirai Sentai Timeranger - All of them. I think Kobayashi did an incredible job of incorporating such a big theme within something like Sentai. The concept of fighting against destiny and trying to change tomorrow was incredibly profound, something that I really believe is unmatched even today. Tatsuya standing alone with his Chrono Changer and Naoto's V-Commander against an army of Zennito while buildings were being swallowed wormholes was pretty epic, but even more epic was the return of Yuuri, Ayase, Domon and Sion, sacrificing their 'better' futures in order to protect the year 2000. All the romance aside, I get chills from watching the 4 escape the year 2000, watch Ryuuya die and then return to Tatsuya among the ashes of the 21st century.

Man, there is just so much. I haven't even got to Ultraman Dyna and Gaia.

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
Let's see.....:hmm:

-Hurricaneger: Ep. 34, Ep. 26, Ep. 30, and Ep. 46
-Timeranger: Case 22, Case 28-30
-Dekaranger: Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 13, Ep. 33, Ep. 36, Ep. 40, Ep. 47-50
-Magiranger: Phase 6, Phase 9, Phase 10-11, Phase 15, Phases 16-20, Phase 22, Phase 30-31

I will continue with part two later on.

Lurker
i it's episode 41 of Blade where Leangle has to fight the spider undead is quite a good episode

The episode of Gekiranger where Rio takes on the Gekirangers and lays down the smackdown is a very good episode leading to the Gekirangers gaining there super modes

Also there is an episode of Ryuki where there all on a boat and the riders team up against the monsters despite the fact of the rider war

Lurker
I think all of the Kamen Rider Kuuga episodes are well done, but if I have to pick, I guess episode 10 and 11 are some of my favorites, we see Kuuga defeated and trying to learn new tricks without achieving a new form. We were told the reason why Godai uses the thumb ups a lot and it was full of emotions.

Kamen Rider Hibiki episode 29, this is where Hibiki ended for me. Some are bored with Hibiki's narrative styles but I really liked how it went, the mentor and disciple thing went great, and the episode ended with a nice closing from Hibiki "The Boy has finally taken his first step!"

I really like some of Ultraman Mebius' episodes too, but it'd been a while since I watched the series so I can't really say which, but there are some episodes where Mirai gave some awesome speech about never giving up faith and in humanity.

Ultraman Tiga's final episodes, I love how it played out. I wish I can watch the whole series in fully subbed glory.

Madan Senki Ryukendo Episode 5-Because Jack Moon was one of my favorite things about the show.

GARO Episode 10/11-becuase Keita Amemiya unknowingly exploited my fear of Clowns and the Horror from 11 was my favorite monster design

Jetman Episode 18-because Radiguet was a badass when he fought Juza

Dairanger Episode 50-because Shadam got what he deserved

B-Fighter Episode 51-becuas the staredown between Takuya and Shadow was fucking awesome along with the music they used for it, made that feel more epic, i do wish there was more build up to the battle though

Gokaiger 48-Captain Marvelous vs. Basco the final time, that is all.