Throwing Some Justice!
Once one invests in a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360, it would seem like the only on-going costs to worry about afterwards are the games and accessories. However, for those that are not careful, both consoles can run up a significant electricity running cost, especially if the consoles are left switched on around the clock.

According to a paper released by the National Resources Defence Council, the Sony Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 consume up to around $150 worth of electricity a year to run when left on around the clock, not to mention the large carbon footprint they also leave. When switched off after every use, the annual cost falls to around just $13 on average per year. Even still, the Nintendo Wii costs just $10 a year if left on around the clock, less energy than even what both the Xbox 360 and PS3 use on average when turned off after each use!

To give a comparison, the NRDC states that the two consume more than 1,000 kilowatt-hours (kWh) each per year when left on continuously, which is around the same annual usage as two new refrigerators. Both consoles also use about the same amount of energy when idle as when they're active. Based on over 40% of US households containing one or more consoles and assuming about half leave their console running idle around the clock, they found that the energy use of video consoles accounts for an estimated 16 billion kilowatt-hours annually or the equivalent electricity use of the city of San Diego.

However, while both consoles have power management capabilities, the PS3 has these disabled by default. Even in its latest firmware, one needs to go into a badly named menu to active them. The Xbox 360 has a default power off time of 6 hours. Even with the power management capabilities enabled, some games do not work properly with the power management and end up preventing the console from going into a power saving mode.

The report recommends that manufacturers implement an automatic power-down feature in new consoles to take effect when the console is left idle for between 1 and 3 hours, something that manufacturers can easily automate with a firmware update. Other recommendations include adding a sleep button and improving the processor design to make new consoles more energy efficient. If the consoles had proper user-friendly power management features, it would cut about $1 billion off the nation's electricity bill, which in turn would reduce CO2 emissions by around 7 million tons each year.

For the early Blu-ray adopters who bought the PS3 as a budget Blu-ray disc player, they may quickly end up paying more than the saving once the running cost adds up, as the PS3 uses 5 times the power of Sony’s most power hungry standalone Blu-ray disc player they tested. Worse still, neither the PS3 nor the Xbox 360 provide any power management features for movie playback, such as when users leave the player on at the title screen after watching the movie.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15246-Playstation-3--Xbox-360-are-energy-hogs.html

Continuing the Creddie legacy
That said...

Sony and Microsoft had to do something. something that will save energy.

hope the next firmware will allow the user to save energy THAT much.

Most of this seems preventable by non stupidity. I'm sure there are people who leave their systems on 27/7 out there, but i doubt they'll be surprised that it costs more. I've had my 360 for about 2 years now, and my ps3 for a little over a year and I don't really see any difference in my monthly electricity bills. As for power management, it's not an issue of the companies needing to implement it better, it's implementation is fine, it's a matter of people needing to remember to turn off a system when they're not using it. The only times when you would leave to keep a console on when not in use is for downloading, and both consoles have the feature to power down after downloads, and it works fine on both.

Even in its latest firmware, one needs to go into a badly named menu to active them.

I assume they mean the badly named 'power save settings' menu? The one that allows you to turn off your system anywhere from 1-5 hours of non use?

Last edited:
In Justice, We Trust!
but what's the point of that? Just leave the damn thing off if your not using it. :sweat:

I'm trying to be ultra careful with my X box right now, so I don't get red ringed.

The thing is, even if they DID implement it better, they're catering to the same people who leave their surround sound systems on all day because they're too lazy to change setting if they turn it off. The same people who leave their a/c or heater on all day because they want it an exact temperature when they get back from work, the same people who don't bother to turn out lights when they leave. The problem isn't the consoles.. the problem are the people.

Last edited:
Continuing the Creddie legacy
Maybe you're right... It's the people, NOT JUST the units. If I had a ps3, I'd shut it off and pull the plug. saves 2x on electricity.

Now, count up your crimes!
o_O It's a good thing I always turn off my 360 after playing. Plus I don't play it that much since it's in the living room.