Pepe le Pew got cancel cultured

Administrator
Staff member
Pepe Le Pew is cancelled! After accusations of his being a glamorization of rape culture. WB will  not include him in future projects.

Pepe Le Pew is suppose to be a Tune Squad member in Space Jam 2: A new Legacy. They even filmed a scene of Lebron James having a conversation with Pepe Le Pew about consent.  When I was a kid, I do remember being uncomfortable with his way of courtship. I did realize though that Penelope the cat does like him but she can’t stand his smell.  The running gag of most Pepe Le Pew cartoons is Penelope or another animal will accidentally got a white stripe on the back of their tail. That makes Pepe mistake them for a female skunk and he try to court her. In the modern days though, his way of courtship can be seen as sexual harassment.
Here are some news clips...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff member
If they're able to figure out a new angle on the character, that's fine. But it's also fine if they retire him for awhile. Years ago, they tried to remove Speedy Gonzales, but people love him. Speedy may have been created using perceived stereotypes, but he's quick-witted, nimble and a hero to the people. Y'all can go ahead and get rid of Slowpoke Rodriguez though. Some of the characters around Speedy could sure use an update.

Administrator
Staff member
They tried to make him like a detective like character in the 2011 reboot but people who watched the trailer of Space Jam 2 never watched that iteration of him that doesn't harass females.