300px-FFVIII.jpg

Did you play the Steam version, or do you intend to buy it ?
It costs 13 euros currently, has mod support and a few additions over the playstation version, such as the magic booster which increases players inventory of certain spells by 100 ( it's pretty much a cheat, but makes the game much more playable for some people, as it saves you from drawing spells for a long time ), you can use this feature from the game launcher. There is also the Chocobo world mini-game which was previously not available to many western players, as it was originally a PocketStation app, and these were never released outside of Japan ( I've never actually even heard of this thing before).

If you own the game otherwise, do you think this is still worth buying ?

I still technically own the original version, but it's super inconvenient if I want to play it. The steam one is great because it's just there and I can fire it up whenever I want.

I have heard about a few people having issues with crashes etc, but personally I've never had a problem!

I still technically own the original version, but it's super inconvenient if I want to play it. The steam one is great because it's just there and I can fire it up whenever I want.

I have heard about a few people having issues with crashes etc, but personally I've never had a problem!
Do you still own the PSX ? Or did you try playing it on an emulator ? I assume the latter since barely anyone still has a CRT TV.
Yeah it's probably the best idea to just play it on the PC these days. The new features are great, and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with it.

Do you still own the PSX ? Or did you try playing it on an emulator ? I assume the latter since barely anyone still has a CRT TV.
Yeah it's probably the best idea to just play it on the PC these days. The new features are great, and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with it.

Yes I do, and a CRT TV as well. They just don't, funny enough, live fully set up in my house.
For the record, I also have an old SEGA ;)

Yes I do, and a CRT TV as well. They just don't, funny enough, live fully set up in my house.
For the record, I also have an old SEGA ;)
I own CRT TVs as well. Two of them actually, and a CRT pc monitor as well. They take up a ton of space.
Unfortunately, my PSX bit the dust a long time ago. I play most PSX games on my PSP now, can't be bothered with the emulator.

I got one from the stores and also played the pcstreams, my younger ones play much of the ones that waa bought, only when they are not around I sneek to play it before they come struggling keypads with me.

The PC streams I didn't enjoy playing it that much, maybe because I am use to the PS fianl fantasy versions.

I own CRT TVs as well. Two of them actually, and a CRT pc monitor as well. They take up a ton of space.
Unfortunately, my PSX bit the dust a long time ago. I play most PSX games on my PSP now, can't be bothered with the emulator.

Fair enough. I never got a PSP so that isn't an option for me, hence why I mostly play on steam now. Mobile versions are interesting for portability, but I just can't see them being a great format to play in.

Fair enough. I never got a PSP so that isn't an option for me, hence why I mostly play on steam now. Mobile versions are interesting for portability, but I just can't see them being a great format to play in.
Do you mean smartphones or handheld consoles ?
I would agree with smartphones being pretty bad for gaming, as they weren't exactly designed with that in mind. They are uncomfortable to hold for longer periods of time in my experience, and with no buttons you have to do everything on a touchscreen which is not always a good thing.
Handheld consoles are not always comfortable to game on either, but are still far better than smartphones.

I think PC steam version seems to be good enough for modern games. As for the old remakes. Not sure how many of them are on steam. But it'd be interesting to see how that one goes.

Final Fantasy 8 is my first final fantasy ever. I'd say with all the visual mods that are available now, I think it'll be worth a try. After my first run through way back then I didn't get to play it anymore. I pretty much forgot everything about it. So I'd say it'll be a nice time to run through this again.

As for the game changing mods, I'd still prefer vanilla with just visual mods. It wouldn't be the same if the game would be easier. Because I remember back then, when internet wasn't that common yet, I had to call my friends just to ask what's the next thing to do when I'm stuck at a certain part. We even used to print out walkthroughs! oh boy, good times!