Brave Sound~
What do you guys do in terms of getting toys and their packaging? Do you leave them inside? Do you release them from their plastic prison?

If you do open them, do you usually keep the packaging? What determines a throw away and a keeper?

My preference: Majority of the time, I just think toys are meant to be opened with and played with. I really only have a few things here and there that I keep in packaging just because I knew they were statues and are pretty immobile in or out of the package.

If I find packaging that looks attractive and functional, I usually keep it (mostly with my model kits, that box art is just too cool). By functional I guess I mean more so, 'collector friendly'; an example I have of this would be the GI Joe movie toy packaging, I liked how they minimized the bubble and it only uses necessary space.I would also like to thank Vangelus for showing how you can make it collector friendly even if it wasn't designed to be so:thumbs:. Also Lately though I've been keeping the packaging for practically everything I buy, I don't know why. Basically have bubbles of plastic stored in a room for no rhyme or reason other than keeping unwanted accessories.

Last edited:
Toys are meant to be played with.

I buy one, release it, if I like it a lot, but a second to leave MOC/MISB

that is, if they are not absurdly expensive. I will never get doubles for SHF exclusives.

Banned
I open pretty much everything i Buy.
I tend to throw out my Transformers and other Western Toy boxes.
But i ALWAYS keep my Power Rangers and Imported Toy boxes, for Storage/possible future resale purposes.

AKA XeroTheHero
I generally open most things I get these days. I tend to keep packaging for drivers and changers, mecha, and some figures like SHF.

now Nerd Emperor
I open everything I get (except for a few rare cases) and always keep Japanese toy boxes. American toy card-bubble packaging are easy to throw away though when it comes to box packaging, I'm somewhat hesitant mainly because box packaging can be opened without permanently damaging them.

If I happen to like the packaging of something so much, then I will get a second to keep in package but rarely does this ever happen. Only happened with the Power Rangers Super Legends figures as they were so nostalgic to me.

The only thing I keep MOC these days are movie/TV figures: Smallville, Alien vs Predator, Predators, etc. I'm not sure why I haven't opened the former yet, but I have been tempted to. I don't open the Predator figures because of NECA's terrible quality control. So I feel better leaving them in package rather than opening them to find out anything wrong with them. But they are also so very tempting to open though as I like them a lot more than the Predator figures that McFarlane made a number of years back.

In Justice, We Trust!
I really don't understand why people buy toys just to keep them MISB, I mean...you may as well be buying boxes at that point.

I almost, ALWAYS crack open whatever I buy. The only time I won't open anything is if I have intentions of getting it autographed at some point.

is The Underground Toy Reviewer
I open everything I get. The only toy I still have MIB is a Green Automorphin Ranger because Jason David Frank signed it.

As for the boxes, I simply don't have the room for them. I keep all of my figure boxes, but all my RP items and mecha boxes get trashed. I was collapsing them, but it just got to be a hassle and not really worth it in the long run.

仮面ライダーディックヘッド
Unless you're someone who thinks a bunch of carded figures up on your wall actually makes your room look like anything other than a store, I've never seen the point of keeping toys (or anything) in-package. And if you DO like that "fully-stocked pegs" look, why not just have wallpaper made instead? It'd serve the exact same function AND probably be cheaper.

As for keeping the packaging itself after opening, I'll only keep the boxes of certain things like Figuarts, which aren't very big & have specific places to keep all their accessories, or something like a Masterpiece Transformer that I paid a lot for & I feel a need to keep it for storage/protection. Anything else is just too junky to hang onto.

GAMMA TSUNAMI! (╯°□°)╯︵
I try to get everything without the packaging because I never wanna throw that stuff away.

RISEN DEMON
Yesterday I went to ToysRUs and got

Transformers Generations Dirge
Transformers Generations Thunderwing
Transformers Generations Blurr
Power Rangers Retrofire Jungle Fury Megazord
Power Rangers Retrofire SPD Megazord

Man I opened ALL those suckers...lol I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY TOYS!!!