Henshin a Go-Go!!
TVN translating wrong a lot of times is NOT a matter of opinion. And no, I'm not talking about translation choices here which you always seem to fall back on. You know, "like a robot". I'm talking about the translations being plain wrong. That's not "spouting logic like a robot". That's using the word "logic" properly. Reliance on facts and reason rather than guesswork and opinion (which BTW, is what you're doing, see now why I called it illogical?).

I don't know why you still haven't realized that. Or rather you probably do, you just don't want to admit you're being unnecessarily antagonistic about it.

apparently you misunderstood, im saying which group you choose to support is a matter of opinion. and as I said, the mistakes don't bother me all that much. And I personally find O-T's translation choices to be more distracting than TV-N's mistakes. maybe wait to make sure you completely understand before you shoot your mouth off. I haven't made any guesses, I have assessed the facts and used them to help form my opinion.

Last edited:
Banned
apparently you misunderstood, im saying which group you choose to support is a matter of opinion. and as I said, the mistakes don't bother me all that much. And I personally find O-T's translation choices to be more distracting than TV-N's mistakes. maybe wait to make sure you completely understand before you shoot your mouth off. I haven't made any guesses, I have assessed the facts and used them to help form my opinion.

He did not misunderstand. He replied to you based on what you said. What ever your intentions where in what you said, how you said it is how people are going to reply.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
He did not misunderstand. He replied to you based on what you said. What ever your intentions where in what you said, how you said it is how people are going to reply.

I can deal with kuroihikari, dudes just passionate about what he feels in regard to subtitles and translating, I can at least respect that. But I have literally zero desire to put up with your ridiculousness.

Abandon-Thread.gif

Last edited:
But bottom line, as I've said before hundreds of times, softsubs are easy to edit. If the word Kamen bothers you, if the word Sentai bothers you, if ANY thing in the translated script bothers you, just edit it and be done with it. :)

How do you edit soft subs? Only time I have used them is with my current watch of Changeman with Bunnyhat RAWs and DFF's scripts.

Lurker
How do you edit soft subs? Only time I have used them is with my current watch of Changeman with Bunnyhat RAWs and DFF's scripts.

You can open up the .ass scripts in Notepad/Wordpad and edit that way. Of course, there's also Aegisub you can use.

I understood the personal preference part perfectly fine.

However, mistakes are mistakes, whether they're distracting or not. Many mistakes is much worse than anything that you may get distracted by. It's like comparing the performance of two kids in a multiple choice exam, one of whose penmanship's rather weird, while another who just plainly gets the answers wrong.

So now every episode every week you can but in the extra work to change Kamen into Masked. Every week. Even though you know what it means anyway.

Treasure Cards of the Underworld
So now every episode every week you can but in the extra work to change Kamen into Masked. Every week. Even though you know what it means anyway.

Technically speaking, hitting Find/Replace --> Replace All shouldn't take more than a couple seconds if anyone actually felt inclined to be that silly. :B

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Proper names, however, are always a finicky thing when it comes to translations. There's hardly a right or wrong answer, just personal taste.

Professionally, it seems to be the concensus that you shouldn't translate a PERSON's name, even if it's an obvious pun, or even a pun using a different language other than Japanese or English. But when it comes to the names of THINGS, it can be 50/50.

As someone mentioned on the previous page, KAMEHAMEHA was left untranslated in just about every DUB of Dragon Ball, Z, and GT. But the thing about that is... The makers of the dub can CONTACT the makers of the source material and make sure the translation reflects what the creators intended. In other words, Kamehameha was probably left as-is because Akira Toriyama WANTED it to be left untranslated.

We're talking about Super Sentai, something that doesn't have an official release in too many other countries. Things like Rekka Daizanto, Medagaburyu, even many of the titles for Tokusatsu shows; those names do infer to words in the Japanese language. Keeping them as-is means you've lost something in translation, some kind of pun or meaning that was suppose to be invoked.

So when it comes to names of things, I can swing either way. However, I applaud ANY fansub group that tries to translate the name of something while making it flow and understandable like it's original name did. :)

Personally I'd rather stuff that exists as TOY not have a translated name to make it easier to find such toy should I want to buy it.

Nice post!!
So does that mean if they do (or if they have already done) a sub of Kuuga - Decade, that would be done as "Masked Rider" because that's how it is on the logo for those series?

This would probably be the case, although a lot would depend on who translated said project. Different OT translators have different preferences. In particular, one of our two most prolific translators prefers to keep "brand names" like Kamen and Sentai intact if possible, and the other generally prefers to translate them. Since the translator does the heaviest lifting in a project like this, usually the rest of the staff tries to respect that particular translator's preferences.

Now, there are exceptions to every rule. For instance, when our main two translators are working together on a project, there's basically compromises made back and forth. Sometimes compromises are also made for editorial reasons. The Kyoryuger translator typically prefers to leave Sentai untranslated, but it was clear from the first drafts of the first episode scripts that doing so in that particular series would result in a lot of nonsense dialogue.

For instance, while an OT sub of a Showa series would probably call them Masked Riders, Showa guys making guest appearances in Heisei movies are usually called Kamen Rider [whatever]. This is usually to keep consistency with the names of the Heisei guys, who are the stars of the show. The official title of Movie Wars 2010 might include "Masked Rider Decade & Kamen Rider W," but writing it that way in actual subtitles would be horribly distracting.