1644094_o.gif

Translation: He's right, and I don't really have a response expect a facepalm gif that doesn't make sense.

You like to claim you're knowledgeable, why don't you show it and actually try to argue logic?

Aronbafon
Putting my foot down.

1326275581060.jpg

Why is it when we get to sub discussions it always balances on the edge of insanity. Bring it down to a more civil level or this thread will be another "This is why we can't have "nice" things" situation.

The rationale is that it's written that way right in the logo.
The real reason is that it kinda stuck and nobody cares enough to change anything about it.

Let's just go with the first one. That makes sense :laugh:

Why is it when we get to sub discussions it always balances on the edge of insanity. Bring it down to a more civil level or this thread will be another "This is why we can't have "nice" things" situation.
We've already had admins in this thread! Nobody cares if you're monitoring anything! Look at you mad with power...What happened to the real Andy? The one who used to enjoy picnics on sunny days? The one that used to volunteer at the soup kitchen? The one who used to nurture birds with injured wings back to health? The one who...used to love me?!

Last edited:
We've already have admins in this thread! Nobody cares if you're monitoring anything! Look at you made with power...What happened to the real Andy? The one who used to enjoy picnics on sunny days? The one that used to volunteer at the soup kitchen? The one who used to nurture birds with injured wings back to health? The one who...used to love me?!

That one fell into despair and gave rise to a new Phantom.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Translation: He's right, and I don't really have a response expect a facepalm gif that doesn't make sense.

You like to claim you're knowledgeable, why don't you show it and actually try to argue logic?

How does it not make sense? You're spouting the word "logic" like a robot and I think you're making an ass of yourself... Pretty self explanatory. And this isn't a matter of Right and Wrong this is purely about differing opinions.

Now even though this probably won't do anything I'll share my thoughts in the hope of making you shut the hell up. I really don't think TV-N's mistakes are that big of a deal, I've rarely had trouble inferring the parts that weren't translated. And I wasn't that bothered when I had to look up a word. I really don't think its that much of a hassle.

That being said while I agree that it can get annoying at times, I don't get bothered by it enough to make a deal out of it. I just don't think its worth the effort. Also since I can't provide the service for myself and I am getting it for free, I don't feel it's my place to tell them how to do their job.

Quite frankly I greatly prefer the occasional "definition hunt"to reading subs like "Brotou", "HaTiGra"and so on... I personally feel these kind of choices are WAY more silly than what TV-N does. And while its not nearly as drastic, for me these kind of translations have a similar feel to the whole Riceball=Donut thing from Pokemon.

For me learning a japanese word or phrase feels no different than learning new slang. For instance when you first see the Taka medal in Kamen Rider OOO you can obviously tell its some sort of bird. Then (hypothetically speaking) when the medal is scanned you could include a translators note saying "Taka means Hawk" and then you don't need to include that note ever again. I don't see why theres so much resistance towards having to learn Japanese words, seems like a lot of fuss over something thats really not that big of a deal.

The real reason is that it kinda stuck and nobody cares enough to change anything about it.

I find that real interesting, because it's still a word with a proper translation.

So does that mean if they do (or if they have already done) a sub of Kuuga - Decade, that would be done as "Masked Rider" because that's how it is on the logo for those series?

I just assumed it was that no one wants it to get mixed up with Saban's Masked Rider. :p

I just assumed it was that no one wants it to get mixed up with Saban's Masked Rider. :p

Yeah, but that's just a silly thing the fandom needs to get past. The Wang Brothers may have humored us, the fandom, when they named their show "Kamen Rider Dragon Knight", but the Japanese word does translate into Masked. Honestly, to this day, I am still convinced that they replaced "MASKED" with "KAMEN" in the show logos because the Wang Brothers showed Toei that the fandom prefers to call it Kamen Rider. And judging by the timeline, I'd say it make sense, since it ran around the same time as Decade.

But bottom line, as I've said before hundreds of times, softsubs are easy to edit. If the word Kamen bothers you, if the word Sentai bothers you, if ANY thing in the translated script bothers you, just edit it and be done with it. :)

...Also, I have an interesting little oddity to share. Not trying to make a point, just thought I'd share this.
I have the Trigun movie, Badlands Rumble, on DVD. In one of the Behind the Scenes extras, one of the crew members starts talking about Den-O. The subtitles translate it as "Kamen Rider Den-O", not Masked. Kind of odd, but it makes me think the people at Funimation are plugged in to this fandom as well. :anime:

...Also, I have an interesting little oddity to share. Not trying to make a point, just thought I'd share this.
I have the Trigun movie, Badlands Rumble, on DVD. In one of the Behind the Scenes extras, one of the crew members starts talking about Den-O. The subtitles translate it as "Kamen Rider Den-O", not Masked. Kind of odd, but it makes me think the people at Funimation are plugged in to this fandom as well. :anime:
WAS JOHN YONG BOSCH TALKING ABOUT DEN-O?! JOHN YONG BOSCH WAS TALKING ABOUT DEN-O!! HEY EVERYBODY JOHN YOUNG BOSH WATCHES DEN-O!!!

How does it not make sense? You're spouting the word "logic" like a robot and I think you're making an ass of yourself... Pretty self explanatory. And this isn't a matter of Right and Wrong this is purely about differing opinions.

Now even though this probably won't do anything I'll share my thoughts in the hope of making you shut the hell up. I really don't think TV-N's mistakes are that big of a deal, I've rarely had trouble inferring the parts that weren't translated. And I wasn't that bothered when I had to look up a word. I really don't think its that much of a hassle.

That being said while I agree that it can get annoying at times, I don't get bothered by it enough to make a deal out of it. I just don't think its worth the effort. Also since I can't provide the service for myself and I am getting it for free, I don't feel it's my place to tell them how to do their job.

Quite frankly I greatly prefer the occasional "definition hunt"to reading subs like "Brotou", "HaTiGra"and so on... I personally feel these kind of choices are WAY more silly than what TV-N does. And while its not nearly as drastic, for me these kind of translations have a similar feel to the whole Riceball=Donut thing from Pokemon.

For me learning a japanese word or phrase feels no different than learning new slang. For instance when you first see the Taka medal in Kamen Rider OOO you can obviously tell its some sort of bird. Then (hypothetically speaking) when the medal is scanned you could include a translators note saying "Taka means Hawk" and then you don't need to include that note ever again. I don't see why theres so much resistance towards having to learn Japanese words, seems like a lot of fuss over something thats really not that big of a deal.

TVN translating wrong a lot of times is NOT a matter of opinion. And no, I'm not talking about translation choices here which you always seem to fall back on. You know, "like a robot". I'm talking about the translations being plain wrong. That's not "spouting logic like a robot". That's using the word "logic" properly. Reliance on facts and reason rather than guesswork and opinion (which BTW, is what you're doing, see now why I called it illogical?).

I don't know why you still haven't realized that. Or rather you probably do, you just don't want to admit you're being unnecessarily antagonistic about it.