Friendship and the Cosmos.
Can I make a discussion thread?

Anyways, since the movie was recently made available to us fans outside of Japan, I thought I should make a discussion thread. You know, since we still talk about the movie in the rumor thread, I thought it would be good to move it here.

So how about that movie?

Skull's part was definitely awesome. We see the birth of the first Dopant, Sokichi's past and even a cameo from little Shotaro and Marina (I think that's her name) and a young Jinno and Akiko!

The Skull portion was definitely darker, as for the first time ever we see a Gaia Memory user die. Which is personally satisfying for me, because in the series, the Gaia Memories never really had serious repercussions. When we see Matsu die, it really gave me that sense that Gaia Memories are dangerous materials.

I think I got a bit used to Shotaro when he was crying when Phillip died, because when Sokichi confronted Matsu, I was a little shocked. Then I remember how hard-boiled he is, and I thought it was cool how Sanjo really distinguished how Shotaro and Sokichi are different.

Of course, the fight was awesome. I enjoy 1999 Shroud much more than 2010 Shroud. We even got to see the Bomb Magnum!

-------------

The OOO portion was really good. At least until people start questioning it's relevance to the OOO series. It doesn't connect at all, but regardless of that, I thought the OOO part was decent. I especially enjoyed the final fight with Nobunaga and SaGohZo. Shows how music can really heighten the mood of the fight.

--------------

Core...was weird. I think I just enjoyed seeing CJX once again. Man, I loved Shotaro freaking out when he saw Ankh for the first time. Also cool to see ToRideVendor once again.

At least Sanjo tried to connect Double Forever and Movie Core Wars.

All in all, a pretty good movie. It was entertaining at least. It was a little shaky in the Inoue written parts, but what else is new

Your thoughts?

For the sake of spoilers...

[hide]
Skull's Rider Kick was awesome...a flying tornado kick that sends a flaming purple skull at the enemy. Much better looking than his Rider Kick from Episode Yellow:laugh:

Also, loved how Narumi just looked at the Bat Dopant, tipped his hat and turned away...and walked off...as the tanker gives off a massive explosion.:buttrock:

...as for Terui...loved the countdown before dropping to his knees when Akiko ditched him.

...Ah, more Goto comedy.

...as for OOO...if Tsukasa was Jesus during the moments of sorrow...then Tajadoru is Jesus making his ascension into heaven. WTF...and I bless Double with Gold Xtreme...again.

...Chiyoko + Samba Outfit...FAN SERVICE MUCH!!!

Characters during the Wedding...lol

Akiko's wedding with Ghost Soikichi walking her down the aisle was heart felt...MAN...I REALLY WANT AKIKO TO BE SKULL...seriously.
[/hide]

PS: Good luck HJU Radio for attempting to place this within the TV Series.:169:

Last edited:
School Days
I liked the Skull part of the movie. I liked how Shroud was fighting alongside Skull. I liked how when Matsu is looking up info in the library and the lookup theme played. And the Spider Dopant has some insane powers. People were exploding all over the place! Holy crap!:O_O: Skull is hard boiled. He let the Bat Dopant die in the explosion and I think his revolcarry got destroyed too

The OOO part was okay...Ankh didn't get much screentime and I liked how Eiji had more control of his medals so that he can choose what combo to use.

The Core part was cool. Tajador and CJX obliterated Core! And I love how Eiji end up in I think Brazil and he sees Chiyoko:laugh:

Very entertaining movie.

The OOO part was horrendous. I can't see the point of it. Too much focus on Nobunaga and his drama. Being so used to Date as Birth and his cool personality, I hated Nobunaga's lame stint as Birth. I really don't like that they made a monster-of-the-week type movie-only character the world's first user of a regular Rider gear.

Also, I don't understand why everybody likes the Sagozo fight so much. I thought it was awful. I can enjoy a fight scene that is done stylistically and pulls at the heartstrings like this scene, but keep in mind that this is Sagozo's most widely advertised sequence and it should have been a badass climax and instead OOO gets shoved out of the way because "Nobunaga is sad over ballerina girl."

I love OOO, but I could not enjoy this movie. Maybe once the subs come out, I'll have a more positive opinion.

One thing I will start laughing about once HJU Radio gets to reviewing this...

[hide]
Keith: "Compared to A to Z, Terui can transform, but you notice he doesn't have his belt so...again...UNMORPHED!!! Terui runs in and swings the Engine Blade at the Yummy like a badass."

Vangelus: "That opening was unexpected, but OH MY GOD HE'S GOT ENGINE BLADE AGAIN, but where's his belt; even Double is asking why he didn't transform...and I like Terui said his badass one liner before hitting the monster with the Engine Blade again and this is even barely ten minutes into the movie."

Igadevil: "...then Akiko hits him with the slipper."
[/hide]

Last edited:
The W part was great. Just like the series and the movies, I felt that everything was strong. Seeing Skull's past was interesting, and things that we take for granted nowadays, like going to the library, made 1999 feel believable. The nods to the first two monsters in the original series was a nice touch, and Skull, just like Accel in his film, showed me that he can carry a film with him as the star. One thing I'm wondering is why Skull's head changed the second time he transformed. It was done before he killed the first two Dopants.

The OOO part was just okay in comparison to W's part. I know Kamen Rider films have mostly dabbled in AUs, and I also know that the Den-O and W films spoiled me otherwise, but it just felt too different. I like the secondary characters in OOO much more than the main protagonist (nothing against Eiji, but I feel Ankh and co. can be more entertaining most of the time), and the noticeable lack of them during the film was disappointing. I will agree with urugoji in the sense that my opinion might change once I get a better understanding of the film.

Movie War Core was decent. It had its funny parts (Shotaro freaking out at the sight of Ankh, Chiyoko coming back from Rio de Janiero), and its awesome parts (TaJaDor's "first" appearance), but Movie War 2010 seemed a lot cooler.

One thing I'm wondering is why Skull's head changed the second time he transformed.

Well, when Shroud gave Narumi the Lost Driver, I believe the Skull Memory still needed to be powered or it was a prototype. Keep in mind that Narumi kept rejecting Shroud's offer of using the gaiamemory. Even during the early fights Skull Crystal was trying to unlock its full potential.

One thing I'm wondering is why Skull's head changed the second time he transformed.

The first time he transformed he didn't use the Memory's full power. I guess it was probably due to the hit he took midway through the transformation.

Ah, so Crystal Skull was his incomplete form? Thanks very much for the answers.

I remember reading in a synopsis that the transformation was due to the fact that he killed two people, but the transformation happened before any of them died.