Pokémon Collector
So, I am finally diving back into reading the One Piece manga. Last time I was actively reading it was in 2007-2008, right before going to college and realizing that I have no free time ever. I haven't kept up since then, other than being aware of a few new crew members and a time skip.

I left off on volume 28 (the Skypeia arc, right?), and re-read the previous volume last night just so I can remember what exactly happened. I have to say, the art in this manga series is so beautifully and creatively presented. I'm not sure why there are so many people who are turned off by the character designs, because I just find them gorgeous and clever.

Quick question, though: having not seen ANY of the anime, would it be advisable to start watching? I really don't have the time to fully dedicate all that I am to going through it episode-by-episode, but I know there are filler arcs and slight changes in certain locations that might deserve a watch-through. Any arcs in particular that are worth the viewing?

Also, is it advisable to watch the movies if I haven't seen any of the anime? I don't know anything about the continuity (or lack thereof) the movies might have or proper/improper characterizations, so this is just me being curious.

The new Tendou Souji
Quick question, though: having not seen ANY of the anime, would it be advisable to start watching?

The anime's kinda liberal with the starting Alvida arc and despite some tidbits getting censored, it's pretty good all the way until the Enies Lobby half of the Water 7 arc.

When it gets the point however, well --- The Op's get extended to 2:30, the ED's get dropped, there's a 3 or so minute recap at the start of almost every episode, and, an amount of filler padding sprinkled everywhere. It's pretty much the point I switched over to the manga since it was getting ridiculous.

D

Dr Kain

Several years ago I got into the One Piece anime when I saw a few episodes of the Water 7 arc. And then of course I picked up the DVDs Funimation released a few and watched them. However, it wasn't until I rewatched the first two seasons back in Sept that I suddenly completely fell in love with the series and I started reading the manga last month and I'm already up to Volume 25 and I cannot put this thing down. I think it is becoming my favorite series of all time now. On one side, that is awesome. On the other, that sucks because this series is never going to end.

I'm also very excited that Funimation is finally up to Water 7. Franky and Robin are my favorite characters, so we are finally going to see Franky in the states. Not to mention I cannot wait to hear Patrick Seitz's take on the character.

ジェイ・イー・フュージョン
Stopped at the end of Thriller Bark arc for at least a year, but marathon until the latest episodes for a few months. I tried to read the manga but my eyes went strained after a few chapters, so I end up getting spoiled in the anime...

If you want to watch the anime and keep away from the fillers, check out One Piece wiki. They have an list of episodes, specials and fillers.

D

Dr Kain

PICT0002.JPG

The anime's kinda liberal with the starting Alvida arc and despite some tidbits getting censored, it's pretty good all the way until the Enies Lobby half of the Water 7 arc.

When it gets the point however, well --- The Op's get extended to 2:30, the ED's get dropped, there's a 3 or so minute recap at the start of almost every episode, and, an amount of filler padding sprinkled everywhere. It's pretty much the point I switched over to the manga since it was getting ridiculous.

So....it's basically General Hospital....with pirates?

Another Climax
So....it's basically General Hospital....with pirates?

More like a 30 minute General Hospital (I guess Port Charles) with anime pirates and less reusing plot lines.

Luffy does have a Luke Spencer vibe to him, except more driven.

D

Dr Kain

So I'm up to probably what is the worst story arc I have read thus far. I haven't watched the DVDs to it yet, but I am in the middle of the Foxy Pirates Davy Fight arc in the manga and I am ready to tear my hair out. It is so damn boring and stupid, the worst arc I have encountered thus far. The worst part is, I know the anime version is going to be worse since it is dragged out over I think 15 episodes. I understand that Oda most likely wanted just a simple little side story after the heavy plots of Alabasta and Skypiea, but this is just terrible to read through.

Another Climax
So I'm up to probably what is the worst story arc I have read thus far. I haven't watched the DVDs to it yet, but I am in the middle of the Foxy Pirates Davy Fight arc in the manga and I am ready to tear my hair out. It is so damn boring and stupid, the worst arc I have encountered thus far. The worst part is, I know the anime version is going to be worse since it is dragged out over I think 15 episodes. I understand that Oda most likely wanted just a simple little side story after the heavy plots of Alabasta and Skypiea, but this is just terrible to read through.

Late in the game and you probably have already read it all, but I recommend skipping that arc. It literally is the one arc that has no legit bearing other then humor on what comes after or before so far.

Ending of the latest chapter is ridiculous, but you always know when Oda does such a cliffhanger that the manga is going on a break.